Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:37 PM

76 posts, read 364,050 times

Advertisements

My family and I want to take a 4-5 day mini-vaca to colonial williamsburg with my two girls ages, 5 and 3.

Can you give me some key places to visit as well as any area hotels that are nice?

ALSO, we are also planning on the trip to also see the surrounding towns for a possible relocation.....any particular areas that have nicer school districts that we should pay more attention to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:11 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,978,261 times
Well we have boys so this maybe a little slanted. They are older so I am trying to remember things that they enjoyed a few years back. There is a local park/ playground ( Kidsburg) at Monticello and Ironbound Kidsburg at Mid County Park in Williamsburg, VA

Busch Gardens You can take in the shows, great selection of rides for little ones and a giant play area for kids with towers, water splash area etc.

Water Country A great water park for kids of all ages. ( Adults too)

When you visit Colonial Williamsburg. If they like to play dress up you can rent colonial costumes to visit the restored area. Lots of demonstrations, Revolutionary City etc.

If you bring bicycles or (rent them) there a many bike paths around. The Capital to Capital trail is finished from Jamestown to Chickahominy Park. If you park at Chickahominy Park you can go to the outdoor pool, rent kayaks/ canoes, fish and explore the Chickahominy River (http://www.jccegov.com/recreation/parks-trails/chickahominy-park.html - broken link)
Virginia Living Museum is always fun about 30 minutes away in Newport News.
You can take a trip to VA Beach and spend a day at the ocean. If you go there visit the VA Aquarium . Go for a hike at York River State Park or Freedom Park (http://www.jccegov.com/recreation/parks-trails/freedom-park.html - broken link)

Location of employment would be a factor when considering what areas to explore for a home. Williamsburg/ James City County and York County would be my two recommendations.
If you give an idea of price ranges we could suggest with more detail.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:30 PM

202 posts, read 704,596 times
The weather this weekend (it's in the 90s in CT, so I figure it's hot in Williamsburg too) reminds me that what my boys most remember about visiting Colonial Williamsburg...is the heat. Not the impression I wanted them to leave with. Walking around in the sun, going in and out of old (non-air-conditioned) houses can get tiring. At one point, we had to wait to go in to see something, and everyone scrambled to sit under a tree. (I don't know how those people in costume manage it!) I think Colonial Williamsburg is great and your kids might enjoy walking around there, but do consider the weather.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:25 PM

76 posts, read 364,050 times
Great, thanks! All of these things I will consider!

Thanks again!

Old 06-10-2008, 01:58 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
Take a drive down colonial parkway and go to Yorktown Beach. Not a huge beach by any means, but very cute with shops and restaurants that have all been rebuilt. There is also the Children's Museum in Portsmouth and the Va Living Museum in Newport News. The Mariners Museum is right down the road from the Living Museum. There is so much to do and so much history, it's hard to suggest only a few things. As far as hotels in the area, my in-laws have stayed at the Ramada 1776 and their room was very large and very nice for the price ($75+/-) a night. There is also the Great Wolf Lodge, which all kids enjoy! It has an indoor water park, putt-putt, and offers plenty to do.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 PM

14 posts, read 77,108 times
At that age, the best thing might be to park at Merchant's Square (google it) and walk around the Colonial Williamsburg streets. You won't be able to go into a lot of the demonstration buildings, but the kids will get the feel of Colonial Williamsburg, they can see the horses, put their heads and feet in the stocks, see people in Colonial dress, and go to the Colonial bakery. It'll save you the expense of buying the pass to get into the demonstrations when your kids are unlikely to remember much about them anyhow. It also keeps you near stores with air conditioning. There's a great candy store and toy store, not to mention a fabulous jewelry store right at Merchant's Square

Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
Merchants Square has some neat stuff. There is a Bread/Cheese/Wine place that we like to visit. They have a crandberry nut bread that is out of this world.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:07 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
3 words for an awesome hotel - Great Wolf Lodge

It's really expensive, but completely worth it!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:18 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
an if you go without the kids, spend a couple nites at the Colonial Williamsburg Hotel. It's beautiful, has a little pub and all the other fun stuff!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:12 PM

33 posts, read 201,910 times
The Virginia Living Museum has its Dinotopia exhibit up for the summer, so if your kids are into dinosaurs, they might enjoy it. VLM also does a nice job with exhibits on the modern/local critters.

RE hot weather -- seeing Colonial Wmsburg means you'll be walking a lot. Bring light clothing to wear, take it slow, and drink plenty of fluids. Eating ice cream is also always a nice way to beat the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area