Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times

Advertisements

I have done several searches on this site and I have found some great info, but still looking for more.

Here is our criteria (in order of importance)

We are looking for a great neighborhood near great schools.
Safe
Prefer a golf course or water view (not oceanview)
$450K to $600K range + (?)
Over 3000 sf
Family friendly with parks, etc.
Shopping nearby (we currently drive 20 minutes for a grocery store - ugh)

So far I found a community that looks nice called Indian River Plantation, but it might be a little pricey. Kellam is the HS. Our children are young (elementary school aged). I think this might be the type of area we are looking for. ?? Correct me if this seems off for the criteria I mentioned. I am looking for other suggestions. We will be heading there in a month or so to do some looking and I want to have several areas in mind to check out.

Are there any schools or areas that you would recommend that we absolutely stay away from?

Thanks for you help.
~K~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 06:35 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
I'm not sure of the price range fitting in with Indian River Plantation (all I know it's too expensive for me, haha), but I think it would be what you're looking for. Have you looked into a neighborhood called "Church Point" in Virginia Beach? I think that might work too.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:46 PM

Thanks. I have not heard of that one, but I'll check it out.

How do I find out what property tax rates are in Virginia Beach and Chesapeake? Does it depend on the neighborhood? Also - are mosquitos a big problem in this area? I react badly to mosquito bites.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:54 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
Indian River Plantation is a great neighborhood and 600K might give you one or two options to get into the neighborhood with the drop of home prices but 600K will not get you a golf course lot. Most of the homes on the golf course are 7 figure homes. Also with 600K being at the top of your price range IRP may not be your best option as the POA fee is another 135 dollars a month on top of your mortgage.

You may want to look at a neighborhood called Lagomar, I think you will find many more options there that are in your price range. Houses go from around 400K up to around that 7 figure. It is still in the Kellam high school district, just a few minutes to SandBridge beach and all the shopping you could ever want just 5 minutes down the road.
If you are looking for new constuction across the street from Lagomar is a neighborhood called Heritage Park. You should have a number of options between that 500-600K but no water or golf course views

Last edited by rtandc; 04-04-2009 at 07:21 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 07:00 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
I don't know much about property tax rates, but I'm sure someone here will help you out. HR residents are good about that sort-of thing . But we do have to deal with mosquitos a bit. Mostly after it rains and there are puddles everywhere. I don't find them to be unbearable or anything, but some days will be worse than others. I think it's just part of being in a humid climate, unfortunately.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
Thanks. I have not heard of that one, but I'll check it out.

How do I find out what property tax rates are in Virginia Beach and Chesapeake? Does it depend on the neighborhood? Also - are mosquitoes a big problem in this area? I react badly to mosquito bites.

Property taxes are .89 in Va Bch unless you live in Sandbridge or Town center.....they are higher there.....most of Chesapeake is 1.05

sorry to say mosquitoes are a common problem in this area

Old 04-04-2009, 07:48 PM

40 posts, read 136,435 times
Have you looked into the Great Neck area of Virginia Beach, your price range could get you a decent house depending on neighborhood and they do have wonderful schools.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:15 AM

I appreciate the good information. I am happy to see the property taxes are so low. That just increased the amount of house we could comfortably afford. Our current property tax rate of 3.8% can be very limiting. $5300 in taxes on a $600K home is huge difference over $22,000. The savings of $16,700/yr makes a big difference.

A few more questions. What is Sandbridge? Is it a city, a part of town or a community?
Do the neighborhoods I am looking at have "greenbelts" or other walking trails?

Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
Sanbridge is an area in Va Beach that is close to the beach. In the last few years it has really built up (good or bad) and there are quite a few more retail and dining choices nearby. I am not sure about the walking trails. Perhaps someone else more familiar might chime in.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
I appreciate the good information. I am happy to see the property taxes are so low. That just increased the amount of house we could comfortably afford. Our current property tax rate of 3.8% can be very limiting. $5300 in taxes on a $600K home is huge difference over $22,000. The savings of $16,700/yr makes a big difference.

A few more questions. What is Sandbridge? Is it a city, a part of town or a community?
Do the neighborhoods I am looking at have "greenbelts" or other walking trails?
Yes the home tax rate is low compared to where you live now but remember Virginia is a commonwealth state so they will find a way to tax you to death one way or another.

Neighborhoods with greenbelts or walking trails are limited in Virginia Beach. Land cost plays a big part of the over all cost of a home in this area so developments/neighborhoods with any type of open space will normally net you a very small build-able lot in return and/or a higher then normal POA fee due to the cost in maintaining these areas. Most residents in many neighborhoods in Va Bch are thrilled just to have sidewalks or a small city owned/maintained park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area