Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:37 PM

150 posts, read 577,173 times

Advertisements

Which would be the best to subscribe to for the most coupons? Virginia Gazette or the Virginia Pilot? I don't know much about either paper, or maybe there is another paper i don't know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:14 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,752 times
From what I understand, the Virginia Gazette is considered the local paper for the Williamsburg area. The Daily Press is the local paper for Newport News and Hampton. And the Virginian Pilot is the paper for the Southside. If you're just interested in coupons, those are only included in the Sunday edition, at least for the Pilot which is the one I receive. Yes, they will deliver the paper on Sunday only if you request it. Usually there's about three small packets of coupons, along with a ton of sales papers.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:13 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,450,669 times
We get many in the Virginian Pilot's Sunday paper, which is the only one we have delivered.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:50 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,017,410 times
Are you looking for food item coupons or sale ads to department stores? The Va Pilot's Wednesday paper has many food item coupons where the Sunday paper has the sale ads

Last edited by rtandc; 01-28-2009 at 05:10 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 05:47 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,450,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Are you looking for food item coupons or sale ads to department stores? The Va Pilot's Wednesday paper has many food item coupons where the Sunday paper has the sale ads
By Philip Walzer
The Virginian-Pilot
© November 22, 2008
NORFOLK
Plagued by advertising declines, The Virginian-Pilot is cutting at least 125 positions - or 10 percent of a 1,260-person work force - mostly through layoffs and shutting affiliated publications, publisher Maurice Jones said Friday.
Cost-cutting measures, triggered by the sputtering economy, will include:
- Shutting Link, a free daily newspaper geared to 18- to 34-year-olds.
- Reducing the size of the newspaper by at least 40 pages a week, or 8 percent.
- Eliminating the business section, including stock listings, every day but Sunday.

Philip Walzer, (757) 222-3864, phil.walzer@pilotonline.com

The article can be found here.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-28-2009 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Copyright, sorry!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
By Philip Waltzer
The Virginian-Pilot
© November 22, 2008
NORFOLK
Plagued by advertising declines, The Virginian-Pilot is cutting at least 125 positions - or 10 percent of a 1,260-person work force - mostly through layoffs and shutting affiliated publications, publisher Maurice Jones said Friday.
Cost-cutting measures, triggered by the sputtering economy, will include:
- Shutting Link, a free daily newspaper geared to 18- to 34-year-olds.
- Reducing the size of the newspaper by at least 40 pages a week, or 8 percent.
- Eliminating the business section, including stock listings, every day but Sunday.
Philip Walzer, (757) 222-3864, phil.walzer@pilotonline.com

The article can be found here.

It would not surprise me to see the local paper go away one day, it does not have a great following plus its old news times it hits your front door every morning.....but again the grocery store ads are in every Weds paper, I have it in front of me now...lets see. Bloom, Kmart, Harris Teeter, Sams club, Farm Fresh and Kroger...thats about it for this week

I for one have received the local paper 7 days a week for over 40 years because that is the only local option we have....I do remember when it was printed twice a day and the afternoon copy was called the Ledger Star........personally I have grown to hate the local paper but I like to be able to sit down and read print over looking at it on-line, plus the USA Today kind of saves my morning by receiving it daily also.
Plus my wife would kill me if I ever stopped receiving the local paper, her Grand Father pretty much ran the local paper for years while she was growing up and she has many childhood memories of being at the plant helping out (or getting in the way LOL) so it has became a staple in our household even though her Grand Father left this earth years ago.....

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-28-2009 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 01-28-2009, 07:17 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
I get the Virginian Pilot every morning. Do I read it? No.

I had gotten the paper at one time, but it was costing me more to get than what I was using it for. Almost $12/month. However, last year, there was a gentleman standing outside of Sammie's Club (Sam's Club) with a Virginia Pilot stand. Langlen said he wanted the paper, so we talked with the gentleman.

He gave us an offer that I could not turn down -which with Lang's puppy eyes made it just *that* *much *worse*. To get the paper everyday costs me $17 every 3 months. I eeaassssiilllyy save that in coupons. The plan will auto-renew itself at the same rate (which I am locked into, they can't raise it) each year.

He also gave us a $75 gift card for Wal-Mart/Sam's Club as a thank you. That easily paid the first year's worth of the paper!

According to the gentleman: If you want the paper, don't go to their website to get it. Look for one of the stands, as they have better pricing.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
According to the gentleman: If you want the paper, don't go to their website to get it. Look for one of the stands, as they have better pricing.
That's very interesting.

I use to get it 7 days a week. If you do sign up online it was only $9.99/month delivered. I really don't know how they make much of a profit on it considering the cost of ink and paper and paying the delivery person. I really got to the point of not reading it so I cut it back to a Sunday only delivery. It really pays for itself in coupons. So I would bet most of their profit comes from advertising dollars, so it's really unfortunate that the Pilot is suffering decreased advertising and having to lay off all those workers.

The Wednesday paper usually does have the grocery ads, but they usually also come in the mail bundled with other ads. They're also all available online at the stores websites if they don't send a mailing to your address:
Food Lion
Farmfresh - Home
And all the rest. If you can post on this website, I'm sure you can find the all the grocery ads without receiving the Wednesday paper.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:43 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
Here is the Pilot order site: where even on their special, getting the paper only on Sunday does not cost much less than me getting the paper every single day.

My only use for the paper is for the coupons. My hubby is the one who clutters the bathroom with the Newspaper. So he gets the paper, I get my coupons - we're both happy.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 PM

Tons of different options out there, if you have been getting the paper you can call and ask to become a gold member, this allows you access to member only on line sites ( I am told I have never tried it out) and I only pay 52 dollars a year for the paper (7 days a week)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area