Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 20,794 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Our landlord agreed to take this month's rent in two payments. When we attempted to give him the remaining balance of the rent, plus the late fee; he first took our check, then acknowledged, signed, and dated the usual receipt (photocopy of check). He then refused to give us the receipt unless we followed him to his office to sign paperwork stating that we would move out on the 15th of July, so that he can put the house on the market to sell it. Our lease expires on September 1st. Our landlord gave us back our check, and said that he has already gone to court to file eviction papers.

My husband noticed that our landlord was wearing a side arm, and we became uncomfortable with the risk of getting into an argument with him. My husband called the police, and they dispatched a police officer to us. We asked the police officer to see if he could mediate, and he went to speak to our landlord alone. The police officer came back and reiterated to us that our landlord, indeed, is refusing to take the balance of our rent payment.

I do not know who to turn to. What are our rights? Should I prepare my family to be evicted? Any information you can provide to me would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 02:01 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Go to the library, there you can get a free booklet on the VA landlord/tenant act showing you what rights both you and your landlord have.......

Old 06-19-2009, 02:22 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,102 times
Hampton Roads slumlords...

Take pride in knowing your landlord missed the peak of the bubble. Perhaps he is in financial trouble?

I'm not a lawyer, but you seem in the clear by far here.

If he pulled a gun on you or your husband you'd so own his house it's not funny.

Also, how late were you the 2nd time paying? Were you "on time" with the agreed delivery of money the 2nd time around? Or no?

Last edited by telemonster; 06-19-2009 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 07:23 AM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Go to the library, there you can get a free booklet on the VA landlord/tenant act showing you what rights both you and your landlord have.......
Thank you very much for the info. I'll take a drive to the library today to see if I can find it!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post
Hampton Roads slumlords...

Take pride in knowing your landlord missed the peak of the bubble. Perhaps he is in financial trouble?

I'm not a lawyer, but you seem in the clear by far here.

If he pulled a gun on you or your husband you'd so own his house it's not funny.

Also, how late were you the 2nd time paying? Were you "on time" with the agreed delivery of money the 2nd time around? Or no?
For the record, he did not pull the gun on us (thank goodness); but him just wearing it and arguing with us was just too creepy to not call for police backup. And the policeman did all he could do in his power help mediate by just talking to our landlord and asking him to accept our check.

The landlord certainly did agree on the date for the 2nd check. We had the late fee included in the amount. The first check (for the bulk of the rent in the beginning of the month) got cashed. Now we have those repairs that still need to get done and are being ignored. Five children (one is handicapped, another with asthma) and no air conditioning. We're all baking in here.

Got summoned to go to court to pay the landlord exactly what we were trying to give him in the first place! I'm going to try to get the policeman to come to court with me.

Thank you for your concern.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Unless you have in writing from him it was OK to pay your rent late you are going to be in a he said she said and the courts will most likely take his side. I would start packing and try to find a new place before the eviction shows up on your credit report.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
If you have repairs that need made you should have papers served to the landlord with your request in writing. After he signs them he has 14 -21 days to respond. You'll have to look and see how many. If there is no response you can then start paying your rent to an account set up at the court house. That way your rent's not late, but the landlord doesn't get it either.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 16,396 times
This sounds like my landlord Mr. Johnson who wears a gun to intimidate me . I had to get male friends to come over while he was here last month to just to intimidate him. He saw them and gave no eye contact and hurried out of my house. It was hillarious. Just goes to show that slumlords like him take advantage of single women through threats.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:21 AM

2 posts, read 7,449 times
Default Renters rights????

When we moved in we were told we would sign a lease after the 1st,that was 4 months ago ,I have all the receipts of payment and deposit,my landlord has entered my home at 2 and3 am ,I came to find out the water pump for the well water is going bad and hooked to my electricity,so when the circuit breaks you have to flip it to get water on for both sides of the duplex,I went to him at 10 am to give permission for cox to install and was screamed and cursed at,on the 3rd of the month I had my check but it was Friday evening and I could not cash it it wasn't even past 5 days and rent a center came to pick up a payment ,I make tips do I paid them and he barrels out of his house and starts screaming I need to give him his money,now I find out he's running an extension cord to my electricity and the water smells SMS is full of dirt I have to buy bottled water to drink and cook with,I brought these things to his attention he said he is in the process of selling itHjs not his problem and he won't fix anything.wtf?im a single mom with 2 kids,moving is an exspense I can't afford right now ,ha maybee in thiry days ,what can I do

Old 08-07-2013, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,635 times
My landlord changed the way they accept the rent without warning to the tenants.
They take months to make repairs and when they do decide to make repairs, maintenance just shows up without warning.
I feel so violated and disgusted. How can I ensure that my landlord does not violate my rights again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area