Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 08:25 PM

368 posts, read 996,133 times

Advertisements

Hi! As you can probably see from my many confused posts, we are new to the area and trying to find a place to settle. I'm beginning to think that the Northern Suffolk/Isle of Wight/Carrollton area might be right for us (we like that kind of rural feel), but I'm concerned about the commute. I know there's some kind of tunnel involved and that that can sometimes be a problem. My husband has to be at Oyster Point in NN by 7 AM and gets out around 4 or 5. Does anyone know what the commute time from the Northern Suffolk/Isle of Wight/Carrollton areas to Oyster Point might be? Thanks for all your patience and help--we'll get settled sometime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,700 times
if you live in IofW/ Carrolton, you will use the James River Bridge, which doesnt have too many problems except for the occasional bridge lift. plan on around 20-25 minute commute. If you live in Northern Suffolk, you will use the monitor-merrimac memorial BT. That one backs up in the am heading to NN and to Suffolk in the PM. The backups are usually mild, but MM backups much more frequently in the pm in the summer. Total commute can range from 25 to 40 minutes

Old 07-07-2009, 06:27 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
The MM and the JRB are both the best bridges/tunnels in the area. This commute would be no different than any other commute around the area. Backups here (as Damian says) can happen any time but are not as frequent as other areas. I think you would be very happy in the Suffolk/IW area.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:36 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,700 times
MM can be a bear sometimes. 5 mile backup this AM towards NN, and last weeks "carmageddon" where there were 20 mile backups at the MM to NN when HRBT west was shut down

Old 07-07-2009, 01:40 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
That can be an insane commute. On the best of days its going to take you almost half an hour. On the worst, you can sit for hours.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:58 PM

48 posts, read 128,813 times
While randomdude is technically correct that it could take "hours" to get home, I would say the likelihood of that happening is extremely low. 99% of the time you will have a 25-35 minute commute.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 PM

368 posts, read 996,133 times
Hey, thanks everybody! I had a doctor's appointment in NN today and took a wrong turn on 17--by the time I realized my mistake, I was going over the bridge to Isle of Wight (that is one long bridge!). It's beautiful over there, but I'm not sure my husband's going to go for the commute--he's really enjoying his 15-20 minute one to Yorktown right now. One of the reasons we left CA was to live closer to where he works (his commute in LA was 40 miles one way!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area