Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:28 PM

7 posts, read 53,051 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else get bad bug bites in VA Beach?? Just moved here in June and I'm getting eaten up alive! Seriously. I was standing outside for 5mins, and I got bit twice. I don't know if they're mosquitoes or some type of fly since not only do they itch like crazy, they burn! Not very fun. I'm from Wisconsin, so I know how bad bugs/mosquitos can get but these are almost worse.

Maybe they just love me, because they're not after my husband as much. I don't wear any sweet smelling perfume, either.

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 08:01 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickiart0201 View Post
Does anyone else get bad bug bites in VA Beach?? Just moved here in June and I'm getting eaten up alive! Seriously. I was standing outside for 5mins, and I got bit twice. I don't know if they're mosquitoes or some type of fly since not only do they itch like crazy, they burn! Not very fun. I'm from Wisconsin, so I know how bad bugs/mosquitos can get but these are almost worse.

Maybe they just love me, because they're not after my husband as much. I don't wear any sweet smelling perfume, either.

I think it's just part of being in this area. You kinda get used to the bites after awhile, and I can almost guarantee they were mosquitos. Only 2 bites isn't that bad though, haha. I have mosquitos in my house that are like ninjas. They bite me in my sleep and I wake up itching. It sucks.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,824 times
I currently have about 4 or 5 bites on me right now. My benadryl spray is getting some good use! There are mosquitoes somewhere in my house. I see them, but they move to quickly before I can kill them! I'm about to walk around the house in my full winter clothes.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,519,220 times
I agree they are probably mosquitoes. They are really bad right now. Last night I was out in my back yard and they almost picked me up and took me away. I ran in the house and several came in after me.

Last edited by citydweller; 08-20-2009 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-20-2009, 07:04 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times
It is funny how some people get attacked an others don't have any problems...........My wife will get eaten alive if she does not have bug spray on and even then she will end up with a few bites........me I have never put bug spray on in my life......I can be outside 24/7 and if I get 2-3 bites a year that is allot for me...

Also to the OP if the bites look smaller in size then regular mosquito bites it could be the biting gnats we have around here that are biting you....

Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickiart0201 View Post

Naw they aren't! I'm from WI as well and between mayflies and the mosquito, the lil bites are nothin'. Get yourself some Clinique skin cleanser and when you get bit, put a lil on that an they go away. Also, any repellent with DEET in it will keep the bugs away from you.
Make sure your yard has no standing water...if you live on the water, well, that's a given you will have them. Buckets, eves' troughs and other items that hold water will make for a nice mosquito breeding ground.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:03 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
If there is a mesquito within a mile radius it will bite my girlfriend, but I dont really have much of an issue being bit.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
If there is a mesquito within a mile radius it will bite my girlfriend, but I dont really have much of an issue being bit.
I know alot of people like that Random. Only female mosquitos will bite..go figure, but I wonder if it has anything to do with fair skin or dark skin, sweat or no sweat.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:31 AM

324 posts, read 1,138,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

I was like this when we lived in Kentucky. Here, however they eat me alive. (must be a tougher breed). LOL! Bug spray is my friend.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:47 AM

12 posts, read 36,570 times
I am like the person who gets bitten by the sole mosquito in town. I live on the water, and there are literally thousands of them on our property right now. I spray myself up and down with OFF! and come in with 3 bites, blood on socks from one of the bites.

I find it incredibly strange that they bite me through socks and shoes, jeans, you name it. I killed 4 mosquitoes that were in my parked car, locked with windows up.

I HATE BUGS SO BADLY THAT I BARELY GO OUTSIDE. I am losin' it!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area