Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,869 times

Advertisements

My wife and I visited Norfolk within the past 2 weeks and are thinking about buying a house on the Cypress Point Golf Course in Virginia Beach. We liked everything about it from first glance (central location, nice neighborhood, etc...) But, we were wondering if there is something that we are missing.

The school district is Bayside which we understand is not one of the most desirable in VA Beach. Is that right? What about crime and commute to NOB, etc...?

Any information or gut feelings would be appreciated - good or bad. We'd just like to know more before pursuing a house there. Thanks!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
Bayside High School is definitely not one of the top high schools in Virginia Beach. I'm really not trying to sound snooty, but the truth is that a lot of children from some of the most undesirable areas in Virginia Beach all go to Bayside. And by undesirable, I'm talking very crime ridden.

The Cypress Point area is not that bad by itself... but there are neighboring communities that I would recommend never driving around at night in.

Anybody driving to Norfolk Naval during rush hour is in for a treat... My usual commute is around 30-40 minutes. There are times, though, that it has taken me over an hour to get to work. As far as driving home to Virginia Beach at the end of the "normal" work day.... Oh. My. God. Traffic is atrocious. If you can get out of base right before 1600, you're alright.. but if you leave the base anywhere between 1615 and 1730, you're going to sit for a LOOONG time unless you have a motorcycle or a passenger.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:13 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,949 times
I moved from that area 2 years ago and lived there 20. You won't like it. Lots of section 8 over near Weslyan and the troubled teens damage everything they get their hands on...those white t-shirt gangs are in droves over there.
Bayside Middle School and High School have a bad reputation.
I can remember:
When Newtown Elementary and Betty F. Williams were nice schools.
Breeze Inn was brand new and Americans owned it.
The laundromat was safe to do clothes at 10pm.
Chesapeake ASAP was one nite a week!
Now it's not safe anywhere around there, especially where Baker and Newtown meet. That whole area needs to be demolished and renewed!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks Kuharai and Erma for your responses!

We certainly did not expect to hear that this area was in such a grave situation, but we do appreciate the bluntness and honesty. Do either of you have explanation for why the cheapest house on the course is over $300,000 up to $575,000 or is it just a price shock difference between Virginia and South Carolina?

Some other areas we were considering were Avalon Woods in Virginia Beach (Kempsville district I believe), Larchmont or Cromwell Farms in Norfolk. If you don't mind, how do those neighborhoods compare with Cypress Point, considering school districts, crime, and commute? Please share all thoughts, thank you very much again for your help!

Brian

Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM

If you're looking for a nice house on a golf course, Honey Bee Golf Course in Chesapeake has some nice neighborhoods and homes surrounding the course. I have a friend who lives on the course and they love it over there. schools are nice too.

Reason the houses are priced the way they are on Cypress, is because they are building alot and I me ALOT of condo complexes near the course. They think by building all these condos, that the neighborhood will change, but until they get those rats out of the area, will it really change. Back in the 80's, the only renters in the area were military, when Little Creek Amphib base had alot of ships. Now there are maybe 4 there at a time, there may be a few families remaining, but not like back then.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:27 AM

Like stated, Cypress Point by itself is wonderful and on a golf course. That's the reason for the expense... However, you'd be surrounded on all four sides by disarray. Honestly, this is very common in Hampton Roads as a whole. You'll have very ghetto areas right next to the ritzy areas. OceanView is a grave example of this.

The Kemspville District is not too bad - I spent many many many years over by the high school and never had a problem with any sort of crime. You mention Avalon Woods - I've not heard of this area. I know of Avalon Terrace and Avalon Hills, but not Woods.

As far as Norfolk goes, you have to be very careful as even homes in the nice neighborhoods can be right across the street from the ghetto. It's much worse than Virginia beach - which is why I take Norfolk on a street by street basis.

Honestly, if you're coming here with the Military, I would suggest trying for the Lincoln Military Housing (brand spanking new place!) in Virginia Beach - that way you can live for a decent price before buying. Trust me that you might want to get a feel for the area before you make the house investment. Spend a year or so here before you make the commitment.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 AM

Yep! I'd do that too

Old 07-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Thanks again for the terrific information! One last question - I googled Avalon Terrace and that is the same location as what I meant by Avalon Woods. Our "2nd choice" house was in that area off one of the side streets of Avalon Ave. When we visited this area a few days ago, it seemed somewhat removed from civilization which might be good, but it was also a little closer to the highway and had a stronger blue collar community feel. Your thoughts? Thank you.

Brian

Old 07-01-2008, 12:18 PM

I actually know somebody who lives right there on Avalon Terrace. I could never tell that the interstate was right there when inside her home. You've got the community Park right across the street. It may have more of a blue collar feel to it, but it just seems more relaxed (in a good way) than other nice areas of Virginia Beach. One of the major downsides is that Providence gets really jammed up during rush hour.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:27 AM

It is a nice area. I got lost going to work one day after we moved. It's amazing what you find when you get lost! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area