Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:32 AM

53 posts, read 155,352 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a car as soon as we move into the area. Is there a good place that you would recommend? Honest car salesmen are hard to come by. We are looking for a bigger family vehicle, a couple years old, certified used probably best. Any certain place have a good reputation for good deals, any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times
I cant help you out on where to buy a used car but just be very careful....many of the used cars around town could have possibly been flooded out.....Just make sure you go over any car very well looking for possible signs of the car being exposed to high water....if you dont have the experence find or hire someone that does...

Old 12-29-2009, 08:55 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
I agree with rtandc be very careful. There are a lot of flooded cars out there right now. I would try car max I think they give you a car fax report, but I'm not sure.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:44 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinaar View Post
We are looking to buy a car as soon as we move into the area. Is there a good place that you would recommend? Honest car salesmen are hard to come by. We are looking for a bigger family vehicle, a couple years old, certified used probably best. Any certain place have a good reputation for good deals, any tips?
Used car dealers in Hampton Roads are the quintessential image of the "used car dealer". Everywhere I went it was ridiculous. Everything is sold "as is" but they will SELL you an extended warranty.

I asked for a state inspection guarantee. Basically I wanted to ensure the vehicle would pass inspection. I was told by every dealer that their cars were inspected and had a valid sticker. I asked where was it inspected? They all said "we do it here". So I asked if they would guarantee the repair if I were to take it for state inspection at another shop. They all said no. Now I don't know about you but if I did a state inspection & knew the car was good I would feel confident giving you a 10 day inspection guarantee.

Carmax is a HORROR. Don't even think of it.

My suggestion is to stick with new car dealers selling used cars. If you want a recommendation...

Pomoco Lincoln Mercury
Newport News
12625 Jefferson Ave.
Newport News Virginia 23602
(757) 833- 8100

I dealt with Frank Foster. I bought my truck earlier this year from them.
No rush, No hassle, No BS, very honest
They offered the carfax w/o me asking.

Pomoco has various brands of cars since they have several dealerships.
I bought a $12K truck KBB price for $9k (incl tax & everything) It was a very low mileage truck, immaculately clean. They gave me a 30 day bumper to bumper warranty and honored my inspection guarantee request. BTW I had it inspected at a AAA shop & it passed with flying colors.

I have put 8k miles to date without any problems. Just don't try to go there on a Friday night from the south, that tunnel traffic is RIDICULOUS!
Would I buy from them again? My son will be driving this year so I will be returning there to buy him a car.

Hope this helps

Old 12-29-2009, 04:48 PM

127 posts, read 326,403 times
Have to agree about most used car dealers in this area and also CarMax is AWFUL, I bought a basically new Acura TL from them a year and a half ago with only 4,900 miles and 2 days into owning it, check engine light came on, tranny started slipping into 2nd, tires severely out of balance so I took it to their service shop, they gave me the run around for almost 10 days coming up with a new problem everyday they called me and saying it would be ready tommorow everytime, horrible loaner car they gave me in which I could only drive 75 miles per day. Day 11 I just went back and told them to take the car back, signed a couple of forms cancelling out the loan and releasing the car back to them and they didnt care at all and never apologized, but yet had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to look for something else on their lot. After this I bought another acura (new) from Hall Acura and they are great, very laid back friendly staff and great service department (what little I have used it, it is after all a honda lol!) and there used cars seemed to be just as nice looking as the new ones on their lot, and I have referred two friends who bought CPO cars from them and are as satisfied as I am with my new one, so I would definetely reccomend them.

Hall Acura
3496 Holland Road
Virginia Beach

I dealt with Bob Grosso and he was awesome!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:10 PM

154 posts, read 388,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbryan725 View Post
Have to agree about most used car dealers in this area and also CarMax is AWFUL, I bought a basically new Acura TL from them a year and a half ago with only 4,900 miles and 2 days into owning it, check engine light came on, tranny started slipping into 2nd, tires severely out of balance so I took it to their service shop, they gave me the run around for almost 10 days coming up with a new problem everyday they called me and saying it would be ready tommorow everytime, horrible loaner car they gave me in which I could only drive 75 miles per day. Day 11 I just went back and told them to take the car back, signed a couple of forms cancelling out the loan and releasing the car back to them and they didnt care at all and never apologized, but yet had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to look for something else on their lot. After this I bought another acura (new) from Hall Acura and they are great, very laid back friendly staff and great service department (what little I have used it, it is after all a honda lol!) and there used cars seemed to be just as nice looking as the new ones on their lot, and I have referred two friends who bought CPO cars from them and are as satisfied as I am with my new one, so I would definetely reccomend them.

Hall Acura
3496 Holland Road
Virginia Beach

I dealt with Bob Grosso and he was awesome!
I have to ask, if the used Acura you bought was so new, why didn't you take it to the Acura dealer to be serviced under the factory warranty?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stva View Post
I have to ask, if the used Acura you bought was so new, why didn't you take it to the Acura dealer to be serviced under the factory warranty?
Well my first instinct was to call CarMax and tell them about the problems the car was having and they just instructed me to bring it to them that morning and eventually they claimed they had to take it to acura because they couldnt figure out what was wrong, and it still didn't get resolved, etc. etc.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Well my first instinct was to call CarMax and tell them about the problems the car was having and they just instructed me to bring it to them that morning and eventually they claimed they had to take it to acura because they couldnt figure out what was wrong, and it still didn't get resolved, etc. etc.
Another interesting thing to note too was the fact that CarMax claimed they took the acura to Hall Acura to have them further work on the car and when I ended up buying from Hall Acura I brought up the horror story about that car to him and he said he walks through the service Dept. everyday and never once saw that car come through to be worked on.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:40 AM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,586 times
Quote:
Another interesting thing to note too was the fact that CarMax claimed they took the acura to Hall Acura to have them further work on the car and when I ended up buying from Hall Acura I brought up the horror story about that car to him and he said he walks through the service Dept. everyday and never once saw that car come through to be worked on.
And I would bet that Acura was back on their lot for sale the day after you returned it!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
Don't forget about Craigs List and word of mouth. Ask around at work etc too. I sold my car on CL in less than 30 min - sight unseen - and it did not even run . It was sold mainly for parts and I had calls from as far away as Richmond within seconds of posting the ad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area