Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,671 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I'm at wits end so, I'm here asking for help.

My wife and I are being relocated from California to Portsmouth virginia for a year because of my schooling. My best friend is from there and has told me that the surrounding area is not the best area for my wife and I to be.

"You would be okay, but since your bringing your wife (who if you havent guessed by now, is white), she may experience some problems."

I'm originally from Cleveland, Ohio so I can guess what problems he's speaking of...

Anyways, I wanted to know if there are any areas surrounding that are middle-class...sorry, let me rephrase, are there any areas with a diverse mix of people where there it's quiet, somewhat safe and I'm not going to have to revert to my CLE state of mind. I am willing to drive an hour tops to the portsmouth base, and I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for rent. Also, if there are any decent K-5 schools around I'd appreciate some knowledge on those as well.

Any help to get pointed in the right direction would be really great, since I'm on the other side of the state.

Thanks y'all .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 07:18 AM

26 posts, read 118,158 times
I have been in an interracial relationship for 6 years. i live in norfolk and i dont have any problems.. now dont get me wrong it depends on where i go like military circle mall.. but for the most part people dont really say anything if you carry yourself with confidence.. but not too much. I have never been to portsmouth but i heard it can be pretty ruff. i suggest norfolk, or virginia beach. norfolk is a lot closer to portsmouth too. And the schools in norfolk are good i have been living in the same neighborhood since i was in elementary.. just stay away from certain middle schools (northside) and high schools (booker T). Hope i helped..

Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 AM

7 posts, read 33,615 times
I am in an interracial relationship myself for the past 6 years. I am a native of Virginia Beach and I am white. My boyfriend is black and my son is bi-racial. We live in a middle to upper class mixed neighborhood. We have never had a problem with anyone since we have been dating. My son is accepted in his school by everyone and there are alot of mixed couples here of all races. This is a military town so we are going to have everything in this city. Hampton Roads is a big area with over a million people. Portsmouth is not the best city to live in. If have options in VA Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Hampton and Suffolk. You will not have problems here at all. It is Virginia but it is not the 1950's here anymore. Trust me most of the mixed couples here will let you know if they have a problem with being looked at and that is pretty much all you will have to deal with.

Most all of the Elem schools in Va beach and Chesapeake are good. Norfolk has a few rough schools. I'm not sure where your friend lives but your wife will not have any problems unless she goes into some of the project areas but if you know where they are and you will she will not go there and neither should you.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:27 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
Half of Portsmouth is absolutely fine!! The Churchland area would serve you well as it is CLOSE and there will be no tunnel traffic to go thru. Plus, you can probably rent a SFH in that price range in Churchland - a nice little rambler with a yard. You want to 'try' to avoid tunnels if possible so I would stay out of VA Beach and Norfolk. Western Branch is an area that boarders Portsmouth and has good schools and is close to shopping.

Also, read another post about Isle of Wight - that is a nice, newer area that is really growing.

This area will be good to you and your wife. We are an area of mostly African American and whites (very little international cultures here) and I do not see racial tension anywhere that I go. Not saying it isn't there, but I live in Portsmouth where we have a larger African American population than some of the other cities and I feel perfectly safe at the grocery store or gas station etc.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 11,798 times
Good morning,
I'm not in an interracial relationship, but I have a few friends that are. I currently work at Portsmouth Naval and I live in Norfolk. My husband and I just bought a house in Suffolk. There are plenty of nice homes out in Chesapeake, suffolk and the surrounding areas(to buy and for rent). As far as school systems, certain schools in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach have the better schools ( I think). But, you can look at the Virginia Board of Education reportcard website for more info. I don't think you and family will have any problems out here. Its very diverse. Of course you may get the occassional "stare", but I get that (and I'm black). I hope you enjoy your tour there are plenty of things to do around here. Good luck....

Old 03-08-2008, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,460 times
Default No Probelm _ Just Not In Portsmouth

Hi I live in Virginia Beach and my future husband is BLack and I am white. We have no problems in Virginia Beach or Norfolk or basic anywhere that we go. I know that Portsmounth os not the best place to live. You may want to try Norfolk or Va Beach they are the cities that are close by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navycorpsman1983 View Post
Hi everybody, I'm at wits end so, I'm here asking for help.

My wife and I are being relocated from California to Portsmouth virginia for a year because of my schooling. My best friend is from there and has told me that the surrounding area is not the best area for my wife and I to be.

"You would be okay, but since your bringing your wife (who if you havent guessed by now, is white), she may experience some problems."

I'm originally from Cleveland, Ohio so I can guess what problems he's speaking of...

Anyways, I wanted to know if there are any areas surrounding that are middle-class...sorry, let me rephrase, are there any areas with a diverse mix of people where there it's quiet, somewhat safe and I'm not going to have to revert to my CLE state of mind. I am willing to drive an hour tops to the portsmouth base, and I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for rent. Also, if there are any decent K-5 schools around I'd appreciate some knowledge on those as well.

Any help to get pointed in the right direction would be really great, since I'm on the other side of the state.

Thanks y'all .

Old 03-08-2008, 12:34 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Ok, I am not in an interracial relationship, or any one for that matter, seperated.

I feel any of the areas would be just fine for an interracial couple. They are not uncommon here at all.

There are some areas of Portsmouth that I would not like to live in, no matter what, but this is just like any other city.

If it were me, I would choose Suffolk or maybe Chesapeake. Nothing wrong with Norfolk or Va Beach either, just quite a bit more busy. Depends on what you are looking for as well.

Also, the two I am mentioning would possibly have something more in your price range.

I would not feel it a problem to be in an interracial marriage in Hampton Roads.

Good luck to the both of you!

Old 03-08-2008, 01:04 PM

177 posts, read 654,324 times
There are areas in every city where you probably wouldn't want to be...including the so called 'good' cities...don't let anyone tell you different.

As Stacylee said...the churchland area (which you can say also includes northern Suffolk and the Western Branch area of Chesapeake) should be just fine. You can get to your school in Ptown (I'm guessing the Naval Hospital?) w/o having to go through a tunnel, which should factor into your decision.

You could start with pilotonline.com (local paper) and searching for rentals that way plus the many other rental sites online.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:39 PM

572 posts, read 1,298,704 times
I think it's sad that concerns like this still exist. I hope you find someplace nice to live, and not have to worry about harassment.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 AM

8 posts, read 42,547 times
Default Moving to Virginia

You won't have any problem at all moving to Hampton Roads as an interracial couple. We are a very diverse community - lots of military, lots of foreign-born wives, lots of interracial couples - no problem. Norfolk would be good, Virginia Beach is also great, especially in terms of K-5 schools. Portsmouth schools are not highly looked upon in general (I'm a teacher), but I'm sure there are good schools within Portsmouth.

I live in VB and find the schools to be excellent so I would seriously consider VB with a commute for your schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area