Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 PM

81 posts, read 218,347 times

Advertisements

Help! We just moved to Virginia from Texas and I need to register my vehicle. It seems like this is a many step process and I am at a loss where to begin - inspection? Also it says I must bring in the original title but the bank has it. What do I do? Also is it very expensve?Sorry if this is dumb but I have never lived in another state before. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Go to DMV with your registration. They are very familiar with the bank having the original title. You'll just have to register and get a VA drivers' license.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:20 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Go have your vehicle inspected first so it will already be on your windshield when you change your tags over to Va...Then take your TX registration along with your TX drivers license with you to DMV and they will issue you Va Tags and a Va drivers license

Old 06-03-2010, 10:40 AM

37 posts, read 87,950 times
+1
Definitely get the inspection first-police seem to have a keen eye for expired inspections stickers-and a fresh plate with no inspection-yikes!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:18 PM

7 posts, read 13,817 times
So, this sounds fairly simple. Drive to the inspection place and get a sticker and then register. I will be coming from overseas, won't have plates. Any tips for my scenario?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Here is the link to registration guidelines-I'm not sure, but I think your foreign registration is valid for 30 days once cleared by customs-is your car foreign or is it domestic? That will really be a question-my cousin bought a Porsche dirt cheap right out of the German factory-and it cost him almost as much to get the necessary emissions equipment installed so he could get it in the US-he would have been money ahead just to buy a Porsche in the states...

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 06-03-2010, 02:59 PM

7 posts, read 13,817 times
Thanks for the link Thomas,

It is a German car (Audi) purchased in the US, shipped here to Germany when we came. I even took her down to Ingolstadt to see where she was born. Yeah, go ahead, my wife though it was a little crazy also. The Audi museum was awesome. We have a special plate here for Americans who work for the US Government, so not too sure how that works out on the way back.

JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas3588 View Post
Here is the link to registration guidelines-I'm not sure, but I think your foreign registration is valid for 30 days once cleared by customs-is your car foreign or is it domestic? That will really be a question-my cousin bought a Porsche dirt cheap right out of the German factory-and it cost him almost as much to get the necessary emissions equipment installed so he could get it in the US-he would have been money ahead just to buy a Porsche in the states...

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 06-04-2010, 04:57 AM

As long as it still has all of it's emission gear on I don't see where it would be a issue coming back into the states-I see foreign plates every now and again running around Hampton Roads-exchange officers mostly from SACLANT in Norfolk.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM

81 posts, read 218,347 times
Thanks for the helpful replies. I will go ahead and get it inspected, and then the next step is to bring in my DL and registration to the DMV to get everything switched. However, my TX registration is just a sticker on the window - do I peel off the sticker and bring it inside? Also, any idea on the cost? I heard it may cost hundreds if not $1000+ in taxes or something?

Old 06-07-2010, 12:19 PM

You must have some form of paper documentation? Not sure...

Here is the blurb from Va DMV...hope this helps...

Unless exempted under Va. Code § 58.1-2403, Virginia levys a 3% Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax based on the vehicle's gross sales price or $35, whichever is greater. This tax is collected at the time of titling whenever a vehicle is sold and/or ownership of the motor vehicle changes. If you are exempt from the motor vehicle sales and use tax, as provided by statute § 58.1-2403, bring proof of your exemption status or complete the Purchaser's Statement of Tax Exemption (SUT3) indicating the reason for exemption.
For the purposes of the Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax collection, gross sales price includes the dealer processing fee. The gross sales price is the vehicle price after the manufacturers' discounts or dealer price discounts. Gross sales price does not include any other price reductions, such as credit for trade-ins, rebates, unpaid liens or other unpaid credits.
If you are titling your vehicle in Virginia for the first time and you hold a valid assignable title or registration issued in your name by another state or a branch of the United States Armed Forces, you will not have to pay the Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax. However, if you purchased the vehicle within the preceding 12 months, you must provide proof that the sales and use tax was paid elsewhere in order to be exempt in Virginia.
For a transaction between private individuals, the minimum Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax is calculated based on the trade-in value given in the NADA Official Used Car Guide. You must present either an Affidavit for Procurement of Title (SUT-1A) if the vehicle is 5 years old or newer (based on the model year) or a Bill of Sale if the vehicle is more than 5 years old. (The sale price placed on a title certificate by the seller is the equivalent of a bill of sale.) A bill of sale must be signed by both the seller and the buyer to include the full vehicle description, vehicle identification number and date of sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area