Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 15,466 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am new to this website so I am not sure if i'm posting in the correct category.
So anyways. My fiance and I plan to move out of Pennsylvannia for good. There's no excitement here in PA, just boredom and it's also a commonwealth. He's originally from The Virgin Islands but he has lived in Florida. I'm originally from Brooklyn, New York. We are a young couple in our early, early 20s and thinking about relocating down south. I only visited Orlando, Florida when I was younger and fell in love, however I would not want to relocate there now after researching and discovering there's a lot of crime that transpires in the city. We have a few states in mind: Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, and/or Virginia. We are searching for somewhat of a small town, lots of greenery, friendly people, access to a lot of outdoor activitie, little to NO CRIME, GREAT COLLEGES, and peace. Any suggestions? When it comes to Florida I don't care much for Orlando, Tampa, or Miami. (Or any areas very close the the cities listed) When it comes to Georgia, we are not interested in living ANY WHERE near Atlanta or Savannah. For North Carolina, Charlotte is definetly crossed off the list.
We do have two cars we are bringing so transportation will not be an issue. We are thinking about renting for now (apartment wise), we both attend college.

A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 AM

109 posts, read 368,084 times
May I ask why you are relocating? I'm asking because I am about to move down there in a couple of weeks and was just curious why you disliked PA so much.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:53 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,723 times
Where ever you decide, check the job possibilities first. The standard of living is still high and the wages much lower in the south. Also the jobs are fewer there.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:18 PM

6 posts, read 15,466 times
Bnepler, we really didn't have much of an issue with PA. After awhile, it just becomes a little boring, but that's probably because we live in Dover. If we don't relocate down south, we plan to move to Lancaster.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgecopper View Post
May I ask why you are relocating? I'm asking because I am about to move down there in a couple of weeks and was just curious why you disliked PA so much.
It's a rule of thumb that most of the people that want to move out of here are people that have spent their whole lives here like me. Nothing against the state.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:49 AM

101 posts, read 359,041 times
clermont ,fl close to orlando , ft, myers between miami and tampa, close to the beach and some ok schools

Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 AM

23 posts, read 69,809 times
Default Fl Sucks!

I am originally from NJ and currently live in Fl. I am finishing up nursing school and heading back to NJ or to PA. There is nothing to do down here, the schools are not good and the jobs, well there are none down here. Ga is very nice, the people are extremly friendly but move at a very, slow, slow pace. Good luck on your move.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 11,563 times
I am also moving out of Penn and not going to look back. I am from California. I lived here(got stuck) for 6 years now and I am finally getting back home regardless of what may try and hold me down. It's not that Penn is SO bad, it's just when your used to something the complete opposite and 3,000 miles away its just a lot to try and get used to. Not into the redneck/hunter thing that seems to be a big part of the srrounding areas. My wife and I are also in our twenties.

Good luck with everything. Hope you move went and or is going well.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 29,314 times
I live in Pa. Lived in or near York for many years. My husband's job gave him a list of possible relocation plants he could have gone to - all major cities though. We have searched long and hard and convinced we wanted out of Pa.

A few places we looked at so far: Yukon and Edmond Oklahoma, Seattle Washington, Santa Maria California, St Augustine Fl, Frenchtown New Jersey, Strasburg Pennsylvania... We are still looking.

Pennsylvania can be so beautiful - especially in the fall time. There is a lot around here: Baltimore, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Gettysburg, New York, Cape May, and all the little places in between. There is the shore within 2-3hrs. Decent amount of jobs, pay, affordable housing and cost of living.

I am looking for a safe place, beautiful, affordable, has jobs, good schools/colleges, somewhat close to the ocean, no crazy weather, doesn't snow much (if at all), cute hip shops, interesting places, beautiful scenary, farmers markets, good library, and where I can ride a bike around safely.

Last edited by shabbybohemianchic; 09-04-2010 at 11:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area