Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,578 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a move to Gettysburg, PA, We love the area and the town. we visit twice a year and what I would like is any helpful info about the area. It could be anything, I dont care if you tell me what public restrooms not to use, I will appreciate the info just the same. I already know that I will probably have to go for a little commute for employment and that really doesnt bother me. So please, anything I really want to know everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,083 times
Cops have nothing better to do than to bother locals for their driving. Do you, though. Gburg can be one persons paradise and anothers prison.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
Very crowded and congested for special events (4th of July~re enactments) and in general Route 30 can slow you down to a level of extreme frustration. Otherwise a beautiful community with lots of ambiance. History abounds, decent access to shopping, medical care, close to Hagerstown for more variety. The college offers lots of culture for plays, concerts and speakers, and Shippensburg College is not that far for more. Nice housing, wonderful restaurants, churches etc.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 19,705 times
It does get very bogged down with tourists in all seasons except winter, particularly summer. If that doesn't bother you and you don't mind commuting it is a very cute place with the ability to get to other places rather easily. You can get into Chambersburg along Rt. 30, over to Harrisburg, Camp Hill, Carlisle, and Mechanicsburg via several routes, and as another poster stated, Hagerstown, MD isn't far south either.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 21,704 times
It's alot different when you live here. High school taxes, low wages, expensive housing, no shopping, high gas prices, unbearable traffic during tourist season, strict zoning (in and around town) so you can't just do what you want with your own property unless approved by the Architechtural Review Board. Most of the younger folks graduate high school, move away and never come back. Nothing here but the Gettysburg National Military Park. With that said, if you're retired, live a dormant life style, are a historian and don't like any kind of progress, the Gettysburg area is for you. We're still living in 1863 here.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,272 times
How is the job situation there as far as health care related jobs. I go to Gettysburg a few times a year, I want to move there but I am worried about getting a job. Any suggestions or comments that might help?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
in 1863 they had train service, bring it back

Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 21,704 times
Health care jobs? Forget it! You may want to try York. Bigger hospital, many smaller/specialized medical facilities. Most trauma, heart conditions, etc are transported to York Hospital from Gettysburg Hospital. To get an idea of the employment in the Gettysburg area, take a gander at the classifieds in the Gettysburg Times online addition. Lately, there's been days where they have no "Help Wanted" column! Very depressing... Then there's the real estate market. That's a whole other story!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,272 times
I mainly am looking for nursing homes ect,, Thank you for the reply it helps to have the prospective of people that live in the area. What can you tell me about what it is like to live there? I have wanted to relocate there for a long time. Any replies from people who live there would be appreciated. How is the renting situation? Are people dog friendly? Do owners rent to people who own dogs? Thank you for any and all replies.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,882 times
Hi,
I live in the town of gettysburg and work in gettysburg. It nice, yes there are tourists(ALOT) but you get used to it. there is alot of stuff to do. lots of grocery stores. its dead in the winter. nothing is open in the town really but thats what makes it nice. there is alot of housing. 5 mins. from town is Bonneauville, pa and that is also in the gettysburg area but everyone calls in that. Come join gettysburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area