Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 13,107 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I have recently come into a phenominal job opportunity in Carlisle PA. I am currently living in South Florida, and have never really been to PA at all. I have so many questions. I can't wait to leave south florida, originally I am from the midwest and after three years it is quite clear that this is not the place for me. I have midwestern values, am very friendly, and miss the seasons. What is this are like? Are people friendly? Is it a pet friendly area? I have two cats and a dog. I am also single and mid twenties, can anyone advise me to the dating scene? Is it hard to meet people?

Any and all advice and opinions welcome, please help me understand before I make a decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,147 times
Hi - we moved to Mechanicsburg from Coral Springs FL in early 2010 and it was the best decision ever (I absolutely hated south FL, for more reasons than I can list). I am originally from the northeast and my husband is from Texas and we have lived all over the country. Suburban Harrisburg is easily in the top 3 places we've lived. People here are real, down to earth and friendly. Lots and lots of pets and pet lovers. I'm an old married lady (LOL) so I can't really comment on the dating scene but if you're looking for somewhere to settle down long term, it is a great place to raise a family with top notch schools.

Other pros: Very close to major cities (DC, Philly, Baltimore, even NY can EASILY be done for a weekend) for culture you don't get in a city the size of Harrisburg. Cost of living really low. Beautiful scenery and lots of fresh, local produce. Did I mention the people here are real? You won't find much South Florida fake around here .

Cons: More conservative religiously than I expected (which might or might not be an issue for you). A bit lacking in diversity. Most people who live here are from here, which means a bit of a narrower world view. For us, these are minor issues in the grand scheme of things - we really do love it here!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Carlisle is more ethnically diverse and perhaps a bit more transient than Mechanicsburg. Carlisle has the Army War College, and also Dickinson College. The War College is for colonels on the way up, attracting the elite of America's most integrated major institution, and some wind up retiring in the area too. I found the area more conservative politically and as conservative socially as eastern Iowa where I moved from, and dating much better.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:15 PM

208 posts, read 257,962 times
For single people this area is so-so but on the other hand, it is what you make it. There are many outdoor areas nearby, so maybe there are hiking clubs. There is a college nearby so probably entertainment and events associated with that. If you are church oriented you can find activities with that. I have lived in this region all of my life and have found the singles scene to be very disappointing and frankly, driving to other cities is not doable every weekend when you are working long hours all week. Most of the big cities within driving distance are expensive for weekend stays. One positive is that Carlisle is more affordable than other cities and not so big that it takes you an hour to get from here to there in traffic.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:56 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
if you are looking for more "diversity"(LOL) then carlisle is right for you gangs and hillbillies alternate from block to block, very exciting. ive lived in mechanicsburg and it was so awful, people are fake and two faced like the whole west shore. after living a while there, i almost would've rather lived in the ghetto of harrisburg, or even detroit. whereas everyone on the east shore and hburg are just pissed off at the world and will shoot you dead just for looking in their general direction. a buddy of mine drove us to carlisle one night when we were drunk. i feel like i was in a gang of kid rock wannabees...lol

Old 10-20-2013, 03:37 PM

192 posts, read 257,995 times
I would never suggest anyone move to that area. It also has Carlisle University, conspiracy theorists call CU the seat of the
cabal and that is where many of them quietly send their upper class kids to become good little Bankers and Accountants for the super wealthy elite. That whole area is depressing beyond words, its a place to visit only unless you are part of the plan, nudge nudge wink wink hand signs. If you're into all that lodge stuff you'll feel right at home

Old 10-21-2013, 05:00 AM

29 posts, read 48,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
I would never suggest anyone move to that area. It also has Carlisle University, conspiracy theorists call CU the seat of the
cabal and that is where many of them quietly send their upper class kids to become good little Bankers and Accountants for the super wealthy elite. That whole area is depressing beyond words, its a place to visit only unless you are part of the plan, nudge nudge wink wink hand signs. If you're into all that lodge stuff you'll feel right at home
What's Carlisle University? I'm not familiar with it, only Dickinson?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 AM

10 posts, read 28,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
No such university. Its Dickinson College that is in Carlisle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area