Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 04:03 AM

226 posts, read 159,285 times

Advertisements

The Mayor of Harrisburg put the hammer down and mandated all City Employees get the vaccine.

First time in PA for an employer to mandate the vaccine.

I don't like it, and I'm glad I'm retired and do not have to put up with such mandates.

I don't get shots - period.
Correction - I got a tetanus shot 4 years ago - that's as far as my trust goes.
I am healthy and trust my own immune system.

furthermore -

Lets say a Harrisburg City employee recently contracted the virus, got over it with minimal effects. He/she should have antibodies (courtesy of white blood cells & immune system).. ---- I guess that would not be enough for an exemption.

The mayor claims a survey was taken and 400 (almost 1/2) of employees responded they would not get the vaccine.
So, he chose to ram it down their throats.

Big Brother Run Amuck (he must be jealous of Gov Wolf control tactics).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 06:40 AM

403 posts, read 298,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDavid View Post
The Mayor of Harrisburg put the hammer down and mandated all City Employees get the vaccine.

First time in PA for an employer to mandate the vaccine.

I don't like it, and I'm glad I'm retired and do not have to put up with such mandates.

I don't get shots - period.
Correction - I got a tetanus shot 4 years ago - that's as far as my trust goes.
I am healthy and trust my own immune system.

furthermore -

Lets say a Harrisburg City employee recently contracted the virus, got over it with minimal effects. He/she should have antibodies (courtesy of white blood cells & immune system).. ---- I guess that would not be enough for an exemption.

The mayor claims a survey was taken and 400 (almost 1/2) of employees responded they would not get the vaccine.
So, he chose to ram it down their throats.

Big Brother Run Amuck (he must be jealous of Gov Wolf control tactics).

You realize public education in Pennsylvania requires students to get standard vaccines correct? This is not a big brother conspiracy. It is proven public healthy safety.

In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania vaccines are required for admittance. I provided the link below. I am not sure if you have children, but if you did, they would need all the below vaccines to be able to attend a Pennsylvania Public School.

https://www.manheimcentral.org/cms/l...NZS%20info.pdf

Old 01-13-2021, 04:37 PM

226 posts, read 159,285 times
I'm not talking about childhood vaccines..

I'm talking about the COVID vaccine - and the mandate placed on Harrisburg City Employees..

Did you even bother to read what I posted ?

Comprehension of subject matter is required before you can disagree and worse yet go on a tangent.

pfff

Old 01-14-2021, 09:21 AM

403 posts, read 298,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDavid View Post
I'm not talking about childhood vaccines..

I'm talking about the COVID vaccine - and the mandate placed on Harrisburg City Employees..

Did you even bother to read what I posted ?

Comprehension of subject matter is required before you can disagree and worse yet go on a tangent.

pfff

Yes, I read everything, thank you. If you do not like it, then do not work for the City of Harrisburg.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:33 PM

325 posts, read 370,473 times
I want my coworkers to get the vaccine to minimize the potential of me contracting the virus even if I also get the vaccine. Your stupidity shouldn’t get me killed.

Same logic with childhood vaccines. There’s a reason why smallpox and polio are virtually eliminated now, at least in this country

Old 01-14-2021, 05:36 PM

8,076 posts, read 10,670,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Z-B View Post
I want my coworkers to get the vaccine to minimize the potential of me contracting the virus even if I also get the vaccine. Your stupidity shouldn’t get me killed.

Same logic with childhood vaccines. There’s a reason why smallpox and polio are virtually eliminated now, at least in this country
No. Not the same logic. At all.

This vaccine will not eliminate the Covid virus. It is also not known whether the vaccine will actually make the recipient immune, and there is no guarantee that it will prevent transmission of the virus. It is just supposed to lessen the severity of symptoms if you contract it.

Educate yourself before you make such statements and get on some high and mighty virtual signaling horse that you don't belong on. This information if there for the reading on the CDC website. It's not hard to find.

You have no right to decide what your co-workers decide to put into their bodies. And neither does the Mayor of Harrisburg.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:36 PM

325 posts, read 370,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

This vaccine will not eliminate the Covid virus. It is also not known whether the vaccine will actually make the recipient immune, and there is no guarantee that it will prevent transmission of the virus. It is just supposed to lessen the severity of symptoms if you contract it.

Educate yourself before you make such statements and get on some high and mighty virtual signaling horse that you don't belong on. This information if there for the reading on the CDC website. It's not hard to find.

You have no right to decide what your co-workers decide to put into their bodies. And neither does the Mayor of Harrisburg.
I went to the CDC website and found this:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019.../8-things.html

“ COVID-19 vaccination will help protect you from getting COVID-19. Two doses are needed.”

Additionally, “ The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 has spikes of protein on each viral particle. These spikes help the viruses attach to cells and cause disease. Some of the coronavirus vaccines in development are designed to help the body “recognize” these spike proteins and fight the coronavirus that has them.”

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...u-need-to-know

Sounds like it works like every other vaccine out there.

Please post a link to support your claim. Qanon, Parlor, Newsmax, and OAN are not acceptable sources.

Oh, and I may not decide what people can or can’t put in their bodies, but employers are well within their rights to set this as a condition of employment.

https://www.aarp.org/work/working-at...covid-vaccine/

Old 01-14-2021, 06:58 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,647,130 times
Quote:

At least you admit your concerned about your health. Not the mantra of trying to "protect others".

Either way, I wouldn't try and put all my stock on this vaccine. You know there's already another variant out, right?

Old 01-14-2021, 07:10 PM

37,184 posts, read 41,398,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

Moderna has early data showing their vaccine will probably prevent asymptomatic infection. If that is confirmed then the vaccine will prevent transmission.

"However, additional data from Moderna suggest the vaccine may protect against asymptomatic infections, a key consideration in a vaccine's usefulness for preventing the spread of the virus to others. Impact on asymptomatic spread was a key question that came up in VRBPAC's consideration of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and experts say more research on the topic is needed.

Eric Topol, MD, founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, said on Twitter today that during the vaccine trial, researchers obtained nasal swabs after the first dose that showed a reduction in asymptomatic infections. He said the findings reflect an impact on blocking transmission and are very encouraging, hinting at mucosal immunity. 'The data aren't conclusive but support this key benefit,' he said."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...-covid-vaccine

Also, antibodies probably last at least six months and possibly longer. Moderna is predicting at least a year.

https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/...east-one-year/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
At least you admit your concerned about your health. Not the mantra of trying to "protect others".

Either way, I wouldn't try and put all my stock on this vaccine. You know there's already another variant out, right?
Protecting yourself also protects others.

So far none of the identified variants have mutations that will allow them to escape the vaccines.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:22 AM

30,699 posts, read 18,343,305 times
Quote:

I'll just add that we are dealing with a situation where we have a vaccine that hasn't received final government approval. I don't know if it's "fair" to require folks to get such a vaccine.

Note, I've already received my first of two vaccine doses, so I'm not somebody who is anti-vaccine and I think that all who are able should get it. And while I support mandatory vaccine laws generally, I don't know if I do in this case. Now, if the virus was deadlier, I might change my tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area