Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:38 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,765 times

Advertisements

Also, good to follow up with the DOA on the phone, but email works well too. That way you can be assured that everything is a go and no gotcha when you arrive and try to pick up your pet. So, no its really not that complicated of a process. Only if you make it hard will it be hard. So do your research and follow through with all instructions then follow up with the DOA.

Last edited by timbo31958; 04-29-2011 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: added content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 12:27 PM

11 posts, read 35,874 times
I want to Mahalo everyone for your help.
I have read the brochure and I'm not sure about direct release at Kona. Do you still have to go through Honolulu? I live in Oregon, Portland area. Any help would be appreciated. Mahalo

Old 05-06-2011, 01:42 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,604,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob View Post
I want to Mahalo everyone for your help.
I have read the brochure and I'm not sure about direct release at Kona. Do you still have to go through Honolulu? I live in Oregon, Portland area. Any help would be appreciated. Mahalo
You can do a direct release in Kona, but the paperwork needs to be here earlier (30 days prior to arrival). The only way to avoid a connection with the pet is to take a nonstop from SFO. Alaska only ships animals to HNL from the mainland, as of Jan 2011.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:32 PM

AlohaHuey.
If I fly from Portland to Honolulu than to Kona would I have to go through Animal Quarantine in Honolulu. Than again in Kona? Or does the airline treat pets like luggage and I would than pick up my cat at Kona to go through Quarantine? To fly from SFO I would have to fly from PDX to SFO than to HNL. Mybe I'll have to check on a pet service and meet my cat at Kona when the time comes.? I'll also check with Alaska.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
AlohaHuey.
If I fly from Portland to Honolulu than to Kona would I have to go through Animal Quarantine in Honolulu. Than again in Kona? Or does the airline treat pets like luggage and I would than pick up my cat at Kona to go through Quarantine? To fly from SFO I would have to fly from PDX to SFO than to HNL. Mybe I'll have to check on a pet service and meet my cat at Kona when the time comes.? I'll also check with Alaska.
I'm not exactly sure how the HNL transfer to interisland works, because I consciously avoided that scenario. I believe they are treated like luggage/cargo and transferred, but I'm not 100% sure. One option to consider: a one-way car rental to SFO (I drove from Seattle), I did this because my dogs are short-snout breeds and had never flown before, so I minimized their flight time by taking a United direct to Kona. United was excellent, BTW.

Definitely check with Alaska. Their fleet is 737s, though, and space also might be an issue. My dogs flew over in a 767.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,698,674 times
All animals arriving on Hawaii must clear quarantine at their first point of entry. If you first go to Honolulu, the animals must go to the QS at the airport. If you want to first go to another island, you must first obtain a specific neighboring island permit. However if you have a neghboring island permit for lets say Maui and you first arrive at Honolulu, the animal will be taken the Honolulu airport facility for clearance.

You should know that not all airlines will allow a pet to go straight from the mainland to another island. They may only accept pets if going to Honolulu even if you have a permit for another island.

Once your pet clears quarantine, its just like traveling anywhere else on an airline.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 AM

That's another good reason to fly direct to the outer Islands if you can...HNL quarantine can get backed up with wait times.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 AM

Mahalo,
When the time comes I beleve I will drive down to Calif. and fly direct to Kona. It would be better for the cat's in the long run. And for my partner as well.

I always try to learen as much as possible before hand. And I have found that this forum is very helpful.

Mahalo,
Robert

Old 05-12-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Mahalo,
When the time comes I beleve I will drive down to Calif. and fly direct to Kona. It would be better for the cat's in the long run. And for my partner as well.

I always try to learen as much as possible before hand. And I have found that this forum is very helpful.

Mahalo,
Robert
Best of luck on your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: