Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:45 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,456,832 times

Advertisements

From personal experience - I've only been to Maui (2 times) and Kauai (3 times).

I've heard that the Big Island is too much like LA....... we did a stopover there on a flight from the other islands.... and it was way more cosmopolitan than Maui and Kauai.

But my best advice? DO NOT STAY in a highrise hotel. Rent a condo with a kitchen - so that you can cook in - and save money. Restaurants and grocery stores are VERY expensive.

An excellent direct condo rental sight is: VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link)

We last stayed in Napili Point in a condo - ground floor - access to the pool and yards from the ocean - for $135 a night. We felt like we lived there rather than "hotelled" there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 05:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
From personal experience - I've only been to Maui (2 times) and Kauai (3 times).

I've heard that the Big Island is too much like LA....... we did a stopover there on a flight from the other islands.... and it was way more cosmopolitan than Maui and Kauai.

But my best advice? DO NOT STAY in a highrise hotel. Rent a condo with a kitchen - so that you can cook in - and save money. Restaurants and grocery stores are VERY expensive.

An excellent direct condo rental sight is: VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link)

We last stayed in Napili Point in a condo - ground floor - access to the pool and yards from the ocean - for $135 a night. We felt like we lived there rather than "hotelled" there.
I think you are confused about the Big Island; it is rural like Kauai. I believe areas of Oahu are somewhat like LA.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:09 PM

57 posts, read 144,002 times
Thanks for all the replies. We've decided to do a vacation package to the Big Island for 6 days in August. We can't wait!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:26 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Did you find a bed and breakfast? I think those are a much better deal than hotels, myself.

The Big Island is a grand choice. It is a pretty scenic island with lots of different topography. Things are pretty far apart but if you do it in sections then it's not so bad. I wouldn't try driving from one side of the island to do something on the other side and then drive back in the same day. It's a pretty drive and all, but you'd spend all your time in a car. All of our roads are the small winding "back country" type roads and the speed limit can get up to all of 55 mph at the fastest. Many parts of "the road" (there's only the one road in many parts of the island) are posted much slower than 55 so nobody really speeds around here.

Oh, when asking directions, nobody will know the number of the road nor the compass direction, so note the names of the roads on the maps and when asking for directions ask for where a town or whatever site you are going to by name and folks will be able to help you a lot better. "How do I find South 19" will get you looks of complete incomprehension, but "How do I get to Volcano National Park" will get you directions.

Which side of the island are you starting on?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:19 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,325 times
Default A test to help you decide

Take this test. It will help you decide:

Best Hawaiian Island - Choosing an Island for your Hawaii vacation

Old 06-27-2010, 11:31 PM

8 posts, read 23,332 times
I would vote for Kauai. That was my first island I visited and its the prettiest! I saw endangered monk seals sun basking on the beach and just thought it was all around the best island. I have lived for the last year on Oahu, its ok, I love Waikiki and Kailua.

Maui I have been to twice, beaches are very small (narrow) and I wasn't to impressed it was more like grasslands to me. I did the road to Hana and it was just ok IMHO as there are few places you can pull over and park.

Big Island I have been to once. Its ok as well. Kailua-Kona side was drab, we landed and as we drove its all lava rock...not pretty. The beaches were more rock not sand. I hear there is good snorkeling at Cook Island. We went to Hilo and hiked around Volcanoes Natl Park, that was neat but we were able to do it in a day.

Kauai still by far is my favorite...except the darn roosters there!

Go to the library and check out the
Kauai Revealed
Oahu Revealed
Maui revealed etc... these are the blue books everyone refers to. I have one for each island I have been to they are great references with things to do and see. I would try and see more than one island if you are coming this way.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:42 AM

3 posts, read 4,136 times
First off... I'm from Hawaii. I live in Honolulu (the capital) which is on the island of Oahu. (Waikiki is in Honolulu) A lot of people think Honolulu is too busy but I think its because people naturally think "Hawaii" is like an island with hardly any people, which is not true at all. If you love the city life come to Oahu. Of course, others parts of Oahu is very country as well. I would recommend going to the Polynesian Cultural Center if you do come to this island (and watch their night show, its awesome!) Also, hike Diamond Head (not on a summer weekend), or go check out Oahuhiking.com, my fave is Kuliouou Ridge (but maybe go with a local person, its 4 hrs versus diamond head is like 1 hr).

I've been to the Big Island, Maui and Kauai over a number of occasions and I'd say go to Oahu and ONE other island to experience real Hawaii. If you are on Oahu do not travel on weekends because thats when traffic is the worst, but there are tons of great hiking places on Oahu just like any of the other islands, and the hikes here are probably more safe and paved. I did a totally vacation in Maui and loved it. I thought it was very laid back and way better signage than Oahu. It is definitely way more country like though.

If you look at the Hawaiian Island chain, if you start at the Big Island (Hawaii island) its the newest island, fresh volcano and way higher in elevation compared to all the other islands. While all the way to the left is Kauai which is the oldest island so tons of valleys and lots of green. Maui and Oahu are in between. Either way, all the islands are beautiful. Just pick 2 of them because interisland fares are pretty cheap.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 AM

155 posts, read 516,584 times
I agree with Catnap-O`ahu is worth seeing. Yeah Honolulu and the surrounding metro area are busy, just a short drive up to Hale`iwa or over the pali into Kailua and Kane`ohe leads to an entirely different feel. O`ahu is more than just Honolulu and Waikiki is entertaining in itself! Just taking a seat on the grass or a bench and people-watching is hours of free entertainment! I have been to almost all the islands (last up is Lanai) and each has their own pros and cons. All I can say is see them all! O`ahu is still the island I gravitate to (could be cause I have a sister there) and am planning to return to in November for 2 weeks. Until then I just keep singing;

I seem to hear the pali calling me
I seem to hear the surf at Waikiki
And from Pacific Heights, I seem to see the lights
Of a city that is very dear to me

Honolulu I am coming back again!

(there are other verses but didn't want to ramble!)

Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 AM

66 posts, read 233,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnap808 View Post
First off... I'm from Hawaii. I live in Honolulu (the capital) which is on the island of Oahu. (Waikiki is in Honolulu) A lot of people think Honolulu is too busy but I think its because people naturally think "Hawaii" is like an island with hardly any people, which is not true at all. If you love the city life come to Oahu. Of course, others parts of Oahu is very country as well. I would recommend going to the Polynesian Cultural Center if you do come to this island (and watch their night show, its awesome!) Also, hike Diamond Head (not on a summer weekend), or go check out Oahuhiking.com, my fave is Kuliouou Ridge (but maybe go with a local person, its 4 hrs versus diamond head is like 1 hr).

I've been to the Big Island, Maui and Kauai over a number of occasions and I'd say go to Oahu and ONE other island to experience real Hawaii. If you are on Oahu do not travel on weekends because thats when traffic is the worst, but there are tons of great hiking places on Oahu just like any of the other islands, and the hikes here are probably more safe and paved. I did a totally vacation in Maui and loved it. I thought it was very laid back and way better signage than Oahu. It is definitely way more country like though.

If you look at the Hawaiian Island chain, if you start at the Big Island (Hawaii island) its the newest island, fresh volcano and way higher in elevation compared to all the other islands. While all the way to the left is Kauai which is the oldest island so tons of valleys and lots of green. Maui and Oahu are in between. Either way, all the islands are beautiful. Just pick 2 of them because interisland fares are pretty cheap.
I agree. Do not discount Oahu. We have been there many times and find somthing new to do or see every trip. I would suggest splitting up your stay between Waikiki and Kailua. Two very different sides of the island. Then take a two or three day trip to Maui.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,470,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidoremi View Post
Thanks for all the replies. We've decided to do a vacation package to the Big Island for 6 days in August. We can't wait!
I grew up on Oahu and spent time on some of the other islands. Lanai was my least favorite, followed by the Big Island. But that is my opinion. The Islands are all truly different from one another. If you have the chance, you should come back and try the others! Have a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii