Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 17,516 times

Advertisements

I'm going to relocate to Hawaii in September. I'm going to be on the big island and I've decided that I'm going to sell my sports car and buy a 4x4 since it's just much more practical over there.

Big question: it costs about $1000 to ship a car. If I'm looking to buy a new Jeep or something, am I going to be better off buying it in Oregon (no sales tax) and shipping it, or just buying it in Hawaii?

I'll get quotes from dealers in both places, but I'm having trouble finding info about:

- Does Hawaii impose sales tax on imported vehicles, especially just-bought ones? Washington, where I live now, charges sales tax on vehicles you've owned less than 6 months.

- Are there other fees/taxes that would make shipping the car less attractive?

- Any other thoughts in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 03:54 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,537,930 times
If you buy a new vehicle (if I recall, 2 years old or less) you will have to pay the sales tax here. You may be better off buying new here, because then you can get a 2 year safety inspection and have a relationship with the dealer.

(I wouldn't get a Jeep - too touristy)

Old 07-01-2010, 04:41 PM

45 posts, read 135,481 times
Hey mdand3boys,

When we come over we were planning to bring our Jeep Cherokee. Is that gonna look touristy? It ain't new or pretty. I love my Cherokee, but I sure as heck don't want to look like a tourist! ;-)

Old 07-01-2010, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 17,516 times
Thanks for the info -- more research makes it look like I'd have to have the car on the mainland for > 90 days, which I might just do.

I think I'm stuck with the Jeep, as touristy as it is. But my requirements are 1) convertible, and 2) serious offroad capability. No real other choices there except crazy stuff like H1 soft tops.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:06 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,044,298 times
Automobile status isn't as highly regarded here as many places on the mainland but there are still alot of people who buy cars that are much more expensive then they probably should drive. On Kauai I see a lot of Ford and Dodge 4WD diesel pickup trucks, Lexus vehicles and a even few Corvets on the road or parked in front of some pretty shaky houses. So driving a jeep of any kind doesn't mean a thing here.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiBowman View Post
Hey mdand3boys,

When we come over we were planning to bring our Jeep Cherokee. Is that gonna look touristy? It ain't new or pretty. I love my Cherokee, but I sure as heck don't want to look like a tourist! ;-)

Cherokee's are touristy.
The reason I wouldn't bring a newer Jeep is that because they look like a rental - they will get broke into. The local thugs like to steal cameras, laptops, etc.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:16 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,108,887 times
Only tourists have new Jeeps, I'm not sure why. I suppose if you kept it really dirty and got a few dents in it then it wouldn't be targeted by thieves.

Most folks in my neighborhood have old cars, well, "cars" if you include pickup trucks into that category. Lots and lots of pickup trucks. Hmm, come to think of it, we are the only folks in our neighborhood who don't have a pickup truck! Ack! I guess we are deprived. We do have a small 4WD Suzuki something-ner-other and the van is used like a pickup truck except it's not 4WD. There is also a small frivolous red car hiding in our carport but it's more of a toy than true transportation since it can only carry two people and not much stuff.

For Big Island, gas mileage is really important. The next important thing is carrying capacity. Hmm, let's see, amongst my neighbors, the closest one has a small 2WD pickup truck and that's it. The next one has a small 2WD pickup truck and a small hybrid car. The next one has a small 4WD pickup truck and a small Volvo station wagon. The next one is an overachiever, he's got a small 4WD pickup truck and two classic muscle car type convertibles, the next one has a small 4WD pickup truck and a small sedan, the next one has a small pickup truck and a small sedan. The folks behind us have a small 2WD pickup truck, a big 4WD pickup truck and a small car. They don't drive the big truck much. None of these are new although one of the neighbors has a leased Mercedes, they don't actually own it. They were driving it for several months before I noticed it was a Mercedes, they had to tell me before I noticed, oops. I should pay more attention, I guess.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:41 PM

138 posts, read 355,653 times
1. Like was stated earlier, cars as a status symbol aren't as important here as on the mainland (and I come from one of the places where it's a huge status symbol) so new isn't as important.

2. I owned a 2004 jeep on the mainland, and it was hands down, the best off road capabile vehicle stock off the showroom floor. I haven't heard good reports about new ones though.

3. Cars are cheaper here than in Southern california (at least). I was able to pick up a good running 4x4 explorer sport (1998 so an older model) with some minor issues (a dent, need knew latch for the back hatch, ac to be charged, and replace the power steering pump) for only $2k.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Cherokee's are touristy.
The reason I wouldn't bring a newer Jeep is that because they look like a rental - they will get broke into. The local thugs like to steal cameras, laptops, etc.
Darn it. I was typing fast. I MEANT to say that CHEROKEE'S ARE NOT TOURISTY. Regular Jeeps are.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:15 AM

45 posts, read 135,481 times
Thanks for clarifying on the Cherokee mdand3boys - had me worried for a sec! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii