Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,459 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone. OK did all this research last year, but I seem to have forgotten what research I did! Which airline does direct flights to Kona from Seattle? I am not finding one. And when calling Delta for information they said no weight requirement/limit?? Is that right?

Trying to avoid the Honolulu stop for time of him being locked in the box so long and fly him Cargo again on Hawaiian. Don't want to pay that hefty fee again for a couple of lbs. Hope everyone is great!! Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,748 times
Alaska Airlines flies non-stop from SEA to KOA; United and Hawaiian offer flights with one stop prior to arriving KOA.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:05 PM

Unless things have changed they don't take animals.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 PM

OK it has changed with Alaska they do now fly cargo dogs. However only to Honolulu and Maui. No Kona yet. And for info it is $400 for large crate.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
call the vet services who do the inspection. find out from them what airines they usually service. once you know the airlines that have done it, call those airlines. you may have to work your way through different people until you get the person who knows whats going on.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:16 AM

Good advice thanks

Old 08-10-2010, 07:16 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Default Alrighty then...

Gal... don't remember the size of your dog but it's reaally a breeze if your vacc's are in order. If you fly Hawaiian he/she will only be 'in a box' for about six hours in cargo, same temp as you, it's regulated. Then you swap him/her into a soft-sided kennel (which you packed as a carry-on) at quarantine in Honolulu (swap the items into the hard-sided kennel which you send through as cargo) board your connecting flight to Maui w/your loved one safely tucked at your feet. This flight is about 40 minutes. Save yourself hundreds of dollars and don't worry about a direct flight. The Vets cost quite a bit for offering Direct Release services and it's just another step in the process you don't really need. It's a breeze, really. I highly recommend Hawaiian Airlines over any of the others.
Koale

Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,143 times
Aloha Newcountrygal

I gots an idea for you this might save you some kala (cash) I know you dont want to have a stop over but it looks like you will or you will have to pay cargo price for Cody the ice cube eating dog. Check out United and fly to LAX then to Kona if you can get a layover that is long enough you can get Cody out of his crate and take him for a walk get him some food and ice then take him to Kona direct. If you buy this in a one flight trip United will only charge you 1 low price for Cody I found there price for dogs one of the lowest and I have a big dog.

Now to the rest of the job getting Cody over here to have a play date with his bff Koa you have passed the teeter test what you need to do is sent this passed test to ag to get a permit to bring him over. to do this you will need the flight number and schedule it with the vet in Kona . I would call the vet in Kona asap to make sure this is the way to go if you need her number i can find it jus ax me.

Oh ya and now we live closer to you so dinner is easier lol
If you need a pickup from Kona jus ax also

Koa

Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,568 times
I spoke to a vet in Kona recently, and she said UAL is a good option because they do most of the direct release Kona animal shipping. They fly direct from SFO as well as LAX. So your options are one-stop in HNL from Seattle, or direct to Kona from SFO/LAX.

I thought at one time UAL had a nonstop to Kona from Seattle, but they do not show such a flight on the schedule.

Be sure your paperwork and health cert are in order. Hawaii requires at least 30 days notice for direct release to Kona.

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Mahalo all. First off all paperwork is done for him.... just have to get it off again to Honolulu or Kona depending on flight. He has another 24 months left. I am not coming back until mid Nov so plenty of time. Cody and crate is 70 to 80lbs. Last year 73lbs so going with Hawaiian (where I have all my miles) his ticket jumps from $300 one way turns into $750 one way. He also has to fly cargo so that means he has to be checked in at Seattle before 6am no matter when the flight is. If the flight is 9:30am goes through Honolulu and over to Kona or Hilo this makes him sit in the box for many hours. Last year it was over 14 hours. That is what I was trying to advoid. When flying cargo you have to have also a minimum of 90 minutes of check in time before flight. Difference than cheking dog in as luggage.

So it sounds like layover in CA or layover in Honolulu..with a dog. I think CA would be easier. Or just make him do it again. I know it is an easy process and I would prefer to stay with Hawaiian but $1500 round trip is a flight to Mexico for me!!! Cant wait until Alaska starts being able to do cargo in Kona it will make things so much easier. Thanks for the ideas...

Koa King salmon rich - but Halibut poor so far. Going for Halibut tomarrow-- think big Hogs. Glad you moved into your new place. Look forward to some more dinners!! Koa will have to teach Cody's feet to toughen up again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: