Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:29 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA1 View Post
Very funny!! Just goes to prove that race is still a BIG issue in America.
Basically 'race' is an issue in EVERY country that has different races. I don't know any society on planet earth that is completely incapable of being aware of racial issues.

(Unless it is very homogeneous, and that doesn't describe the US at all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 03:02 PM

221 posts, read 656,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I haven't read this whole thread, but even if this has been said before, it bears repeating:

First, "haole" dosn't mean "white." It means "non-native," and applies to everyone without at least some Polynesian blood. According to an acquaintance who teaches the Hawi'ian language, it literally means "without breath," with "breath" really denoting spirit, like a spiritual quality. And the correct pronunciation is "ha OL ee." Used in this manner it is not derogatory. It simply refers to someone from off-island.

And yes, I know that "howlie" is used by some as a slur, but it still is not just a synonym for "white."

Second, I find the whole distinction slightly ridiculous, because even the natives came from elsewhere, just a longer time ago than other groups, and there was a whole lot of warfare to establish who was on top, so how is their later conquest by violence any different? <ducking and running in zig zags>

Third, and I've said this elsewhere, the latest scientific research shows there is no factual basis for the concept of race. Every single person on the planet today is a descendant of a small group of perhaps 2,000 individuals in Africa, who were the survivors of a much larger group that suffered some disaster. Genetically we are 99.9% identical, with only a small number of genes that determine skin color, eye color, hair color and texture differing between us. The concept of race was put forward in the 1800s by some pale skinned, blue eyed people who wanted to prove that pale skinned, blue eyed people were superior in order to justify slavery and colonial expansion.

The concept of race is now officially bankrupt. It's just an outdated myth.

When I am asked for my race on a form now I write in "human being," because that's the only "race" that actually exists.

Amen.

OpenD
There are still differences between us lol. Like blacks being bigger and east asians usually smaller. Take Blake Griffin for example his skin is white but you can see by his facial features that his father is black.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post
There are still differences between us lol. Like blacks being bigger and east asians usually smaller. Take Blake Griffin for example his skin is white but you can see by his facial features that his father is black.
Yes, but the differences are not those of being different races, as we used to think. They are just differences in superficial characteristics, skin color being a primary one that clearly has nothing to do with one's worth or ability or anything important.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:03 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
I dunno, those tourists seem to put a lot of effort into changing the color of their skin! They seem to think it's important. They are always so concerned about getting tan although I doubt it's concern for the ease of our eyeballs because of the glare from them as they get off the airplane. Generally they seem to manage pink or red much easier than tan although it's fun to watch them be so happy with themselves when they manage tan. Generally they wander back to the mainland before they find out that it peels off in a couple of days.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I dunno, those tourists seem to put a lot of effort into changing the color of their skin!
Yeah, and now they can get double duty out of their Maui Babe Tanning Lotion with the iodine included that gives a fast brown and also soaks into the skin to provide protection against radioactive iodine fallout from Japan.

No question, as a race Humans are insane when it comes to appearances.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 AM

674 posts, read 1,458,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb83201 View Post
your sarcasm is noted, but who ever said anything about accent? We are talking about a whole new fear-inciting culture who uses "haole" as a label; a culture that incites fear in it's own country's citizens. That is NOT ok.
Ah ha ha ha ah hah ha hah ha hah ah ahah a

hahahha aha ha hah aha ha hah ah ha ha haha ah ah aha h

haha ha hahah aha hahah ahah ha ha hah aha hahah aha haha

haha ha hahah ah ahah ah ah ah

ha

ha.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 PM

168 posts, read 726,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yeah, and now they can get double duty out of their Maui Babe Tanning Lotion with the iodine included that gives a fast brown and also soaks into the skin to provide protection against radioactive iodine fallout from Japan.

No question, as a race Humans are insane when it comes to appearances.

Man, I knew my vanity would pay off someday. All those afternoons I've spent on the beach lathered with Maui Babe are gona pay off now lol

Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,222 times
R CowGirl said,
Quote:
a lot of wrongs need to be righted
I'm curious what you think these "wrongs" are and how they could or should be righted?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 4,332 times
I guess I shouldn't move to Hawaii/Maui, I will get called haole. waaaaa

Old 04-02-2011, 01:45 PM

19 posts, read 46,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montoya View Post
Let's be honest, "haole" is derogatory a LOT of the time. Caucasian people should not feel obligated to identify themselves with as "haole" just because they are in HI. I don't like being called the H word any more than African Americans like being called the N word.

Furthermore, caucasian people (or any race) should not have to feel threatened in our own country. Apparently the racist incidents are bad enough to echo to the mainland "be careful in HI if you're white." I think that this hate is most definitely taught by natives to keep mainlanders away from the 50th state. All US citizens should feel welcome to move to HI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb83201 View Post
You all make valid points, but HI is a US state, and people tend to ignore that. The national language is ENGLISH. No one on the mainland is expected to learn the Navajo language or any other native language. No one on the mainland is expected to identify themselves according to ancient cultures. I realize that HI is the newest state, but we should be moving toward a degree of assimilation with the rest of the country.

I find it very ironic that numerous posters in threads here complain about racism in Hawaii, yet (perhaps unknowingly) fill their own posts with subtle hints of ethnocentrism and cultural superiority.

Hawaii has always had its own unique culture that has been distinct from the mainland. Why should it be made to conform? Mainlanders who come to Hawaii and try to impose their ("better") mainland ways are one of the very reasons many locals dislike mainlanders.

Racism of this kind is in no way unique to Hawaii, even within the US. There are many places in the country where racism is certainly worse than it is in Hawaii. Try being Asian or a Spanish-speaking Mexican in South Dakota or Mississippi (god forbid in a smaller town), and let me know how "welcome" you feel. "Localism," as some people call it, is not a unique aspect to Hawaii either. I look through posts on the Houston board as well, and the locals in Texas constantly talk negatively about California transplants and many aren't afraid to encourage them to "go back to where they came from." Yet hardly anyone would ever accuse them of being intolerant.

Bottom line is, racism exists in Hawaii, just like it does everywhere else. Hawaii is no more racist than many other parts of the country are, the only difference being whites are on the receiving end of it, as opposed to being the ones dishing it out.

Last edited by uhwarrior10; 04-02-2011 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii