Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,255,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Would it be acceptable for white people to go to Japan and say, "what's shaking, g-ook?"

I don't really see a difference
Hmm....big difference. The actual equivalance would be going to Japan and calling Japanese as 'Japanese people'. Haole is the equivalent.

Anyways, over here in Japan, they call non-Japanese, 'gaijin'...if it means anything, there is a small element of foreigners who go crazy about being called 'gaijin' as well.

As a gaijin myself, I've never understood the desire of some other gaijin to pretend like they are Japanese and to be upset when called a 'gaijin' - which simply implies they aren't Japanese.

Anyways, no doubt, you are influenced by PC Culture. You're probably someone who when asked to describe the 'black guy', you will hhmmm...and huhhh...about it, and then describe him as the dark-complected guy with black hair....'oh, you mean the black guy?' your non-american friends will say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 02:42 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,308,123 times
Come on rest-of-the-world, just become christian democratic nations already

Come on gay people, just become straight already

Come on people with yellow shirts, let's just all wear blue already

Ever heard of uniquness and culture?

Juts because you dont understand it or like it doesn't mean it should be abolished. And I don't think you know what a black person feels like when they are called the N word. But you probably think you do.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:44 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,308,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montoya View Post

Furthermore, caucasian people (or any race) should not have to feel threatened in our own country. Apparently the racist incidents are bad enough to echo to the mainland "be careful in HI if you're white." I think that this hate is most definitely taught by natives to keep mainlanders away from the 50th state. All US citizens should feel welcome to move to HI.
Do (legal) Hispanic-Americans feel welcome to move to Arizona?

Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 AM

25 posts, read 59,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Last century when sugar was looking for workers on their sugar plantations, they had to import workers since the folks already living here didn't want to work for them. Why should they? If you have a house to live in (along with a lot of your other relatives) and you've got gardening, fishing and hunting most of your food is free - so why spend so much time working for someone else when the money they will give you will only buy a bunch of stuff you don't need? That disdain for excessive "stuff" has allowed a lot of local folks to get by on well less than poverty levels of income - even in a really expensive place to live.

What actual good does someone get out of being an employee of a company? Is it enough to offset the amount of hours an employer wants in return? Our lives are made up of basically nothing but time, so how precious is life that we can afford to give it away in such large chunks in exchange for mere money?

*snip*
So true in so many places these days, not just Hawaii.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,551,238 times
I just came across this thread, and it made me laugh seeing that my family and I want to move to Hawaii to get the heck out of Georgia.

Montoya, your wishes for Caucasian reverence will come true here in GA before they will EVER come true in Hawaii. And I for one, am glad about that.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 AM

31 posts, read 44,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Japanese are known for having a very clean and tidy yard, Filipinos frequently have decorative concrete fences, haoles sunburn easily and usually speak louder than other groups of folks, Portuguese bake nice bread and make great soup, Chinese folks are great at saving money and working in a hui, etc.
You said such nice things about every group except the whites who the only thing you could manage to say is that they sunburn and speak loud.

Racism if such a hideous thing, even if it against your own race (and I don't know your race nor am I speculating).

Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 AM

31 posts, read 44,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I just came across this thread, and it made me laugh seeing that my family and I want to move to Hawaii to get the heck out of Georgia.

Montoya, your wishes for Caucasian reverence will come true here in GA before they will EVER come true in Hawaii. And I for one, am glad about that.
What is caucasian reverence? Seems like as left-handed racial slur to me.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,269,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyann View Post
What is caucasian reverence? Seems like as left-handed racial slur to me.
What do you have against "left-handed" people?

Taken out of context, relatively innocuous statements can assume all kinds of "overtones." After a mere 4 posts on City-Data, the original poster has probably found better things to do than waste time petulantly complaining about the use of the term "haole" in Hawai'i.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 PM

11 posts, read 25,764 times
I've never had a problem with "haole". My wife and I use it between ourselves when referring to others. For me, it doesn't carry the baggage of ethnic relations on the mainland.

After a few years of listening to people speak "haole-to-haole", without "other" people around, my feel is that the griping circles around living in a minority-majority state/county/town for the first time, where a Anglo/Caucasian/White outlook doesn't predominate. As a result, I think they spend time worrying whether karma is as much a biotch as they fear, on top of dealing with the culture shock.

Last edited by cmholm; 12-30-2010 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-30-2010, 06:24 PM

46 posts, read 111,002 times
For anyone interested, haole actually means "not with the breath". Aloha means, "to be with the breath". Ancient Hawaiian teachings teach that humans were once one with nature and were closely tied to our consciousness. That consciousness is tied to our breath and breathing and living and being one with our immediate environment as a way of connecting to something higher. Whites are called haole because of the Europeans and Americans harsh criticisms of the Hawaiian way of life and their blatant abuse of power by killing natives. They were not "in tune" with what the Hawaiians believed governed all life.

Many people don't know this, including Hawaiians who have no idea of the ancient ways of life. So Haole has become a derogatory term for all whites, even those with good intention. Personally, I never heard the word haole when I was on the islands. My ex was white and I am a light skinned latino. I think it was because we went over there with an open mind and respect for the culture. We went with no preconceived notions and we were looking to learn from anyone who had something to teach.

You get what you give in this life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii