Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:58 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times

Advertisements

I suspect a lot of the "racism" folks hear when they are here is more from the use of race as an identifier. Here we use someone's race as a descriptive term and it's not racist since it is to describe that particular person and not their group. "Oh, when you get your paint at the hardware store be sure to ask for the old Portuguese guy instead of the Japanese guy since he knows the old recipe for this color" or "oh, the Japanese dental technician is my favorite, she's my neighbor's daughter", etc. They aren't using the race as a generic pigeon hole or to describe some sort of derogatory trait.

Sometimes, though, race is used to describe the entire group, but usually it isn't for anything derogatory. Japanese are known for having a very clean and tidy yard, Filipinos frequently have decorative concrete fences, haoles sunburn easily and usually speak louder than other groups of folks, Portuguese bake nice bread and make great soup, Chinese folks are great at saving money and working in a hui, etc. Most of these are true for the race as a group although they may not be true for the specific individual. Is this racist? Yes it is. Is it hurtful and derogatory? No, it's not. It's Hawaii, it's how we do things here and no, we don't care how they do it on the mainland and we don't want to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 12:45 PM

52 posts, read 209,043 times
The children will learn what they live. Lets encourage to live side by side and to help each other as neighbors no matter what we look,sound or live like.None of us will live forever so lets do it right!

Old 08-20-2010, 03:02 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,603,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I suspect a lot of the "racism" folks hear when they are here is more from the use of race as an identifier. Here we use someone's race as a descriptive term and it's not racist since it is to describe that particular person and not their group. "Oh, when you get your paint at the hardware store be sure to ask for the old Portuguese guy instead of the Japanese guy since he knows the old recipe for this color" or "oh, the Japanese dental technician is my favorite, she's my neighbor's daughter", etc. They aren't using the race as a generic pigeon hole or to describe some sort of derogatory trait.

Sometimes, though, race is used to describe the entire group, but usually it isn't for anything derogatory. Japanese are known for having a very clean and tidy yard, Filipinos frequently have decorative concrete fences, haoles sunburn easily and usually speak louder than other groups of folks, Portuguese bake nice bread and make great soup, Chinese folks are great at saving money and working in a hui, etc. Most of these are true for the race as a group although they may not be true for the specific individual. Is this racist? Yes it is. Is it hurtful and derogatory? No, it's not. It's Hawaii, it's how we do things here and no, we don't care how they do it on the mainland and we don't want to change.

Well said.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,448,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

I think that's how it is most places in the world. Like in the Caribbean there is a stereotype is that "Chinees" own stores... And they do, because their culture made them very entrepreneurial. Nothing wrong that.

In mainstream American culture, mild stereotyping like that is taboo, yet there is a lot of serious racism right under the surface and most people seem to not understand racism-- for example Dr. Laura attacked her black caller for not wanting to be called the "N word" by whites. She apparently couldn't comprehend that the intent and context is what makes it racist, all she could focus on was that "blacks use the N word". Or look at how much irrational hatred there is for Barack Obama, because he's half black and has a Muslim name, and possibly because he's from Hawaii.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:38 PM

72 posts, read 346,824 times
Every time I read the tittle of this thread, somehow my brain reads "time to adopt *A* caucasian".

Old 08-20-2010, 05:01 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,336,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygrl View Post
Every time I read the tittle of this thread, somehow my brain reads "time to adopt *A* caucasian".
This caucasian, haole, fair girl, whatever you want to call me, is ready and willing to be adopted. I'm sure I'll love living on Kauai with you, mommy!

Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 PM

5 posts, read 11,535 times
has anyone here ever heard anyone say "F***ing African American" or "F***ing Caucasian?" because I sure haven't

Old 08-20-2010, 07:08 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,127,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montoya View Post
has anyone here ever heard anyone say "F***ing African American" or "F***ing Caucasian?" because I sure haven't
No, here in Hawaii it would be f'ing Popolo, f'ing Haole, f'ing Portagee, f'ing Kanaka and f'ing WHATEVER the person happens to be- this is NOT to be confused with Popolo, Haole, Portagee, Kanaka, etc.

The "f'ing is only included when the particular PERSON has drawn the ire of the speaker. We use racial backgrounds as an identifier- as has been explained ad nauseum. This is how we address each other here (btw- even Haoles use this system if they are kamaaina)- even when we love the person dearly.

You (general you) are looking for reasons to be offended - if you have been addressed as an "f'ing" whatever- it is because YOU have pizzed somebody off, not because your race has pizzed off that particular person. If you are constantly addressed as "f'ing" then perhaps you should take a look in the mirror.

Last edited by melaniej65; 08-20-2010 at 07:19 PM..

Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
No, here in Hawaii it would be f'ing Popolo, f'ing Haole, f'ing Portagee, f'ing Kanaka and f'ing WHATEVER the person happens to be- this is NOT to be confused with Popolo, Haole, Portagee, Kanaka, etc.

The "f'ing is only included when the particular PERSON has drawn the ire of the speaker. We use racial backgrounds as an identifier- as has been explained ad nauseum. This is how we address each other here (btw- even Haoles use this system if they are kamaaina)- even when we love the person dearly.

You (general you) are looking for reasons to be offended - if you have been addressed as an "f'ing" whatever- it is because YOU have pizzed somebody off, not because your race has pizzed off that particular person. If you are constantly addressed as "f'ing" then perhaps you should take a look in the mirror.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:06 PM

25 posts, read 59,252 times
Default Yup, it's everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu is calling View Post
Above quote was posted just TODAY in Austin forum. As you can see standard American english can also hurt. It's not about a word.. it's how people intend to use it.
I actually registered just because of this post. I've lived in Austin for 12 years and there are plenty of places you hear you 'shouldn't go'. Usually, if you ask why, the person doesn't know; they just heard it from someone else and repeated it. Like many cities, once you've been around long enough, you can look back on how 'those places' have moved and shifted with time, the economy, natural disasters, etc. It's life, and it's universal, we got similar warnings in various ways when we went to London and later to Paris.

For myself, in relation to the OP, I really don't mind for the simple fact that (as has been said) the word 'haole' is part of the islands' history - a very turbulent and complicated history. When I toured the Royal Palace with an *amazing* docent, and saw the sheer amount of events contained in a relatively small region, I was absolutely overwhelmed. It's also really important to note that we're not talking about very old events; the US is comparatively young as it is, and Hawaii's experiences are quite recent in that light.

Anyway, that might not make much sense, but I've been lurking for a while, harboring an obsession with Hawaii and thought I'd speak up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii