Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 06:19 PM

150 posts, read 415,995 times

Advertisements

The Value of Hawai'i: Knowing The Past Shaping The Future
and
Haoles In Hawai'i

I'm currently reading the first one.
If anybody reads these and wants to discuss them please let me know.
If you frequent Costco, I found both there this week or you can order straight from UH Press.
http://www uhpress hawaii edu
(add dots where there are spaces)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 PM

21 posts, read 66,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by University of Hawai`i Press

Haoles in Hawai‘i strives to make sense of haole (white person/whiteness in Hawai‘i) and “the politics of haole” in current debates about race in Hawai‘i. Recognizing it as a form of American whiteness specific to Hawai‘i, the author argues that haole was forged and reforged over two centuries of colonization and needs to be understood in that context. Haole reminds us that race is about more than skin color as it identifies a certain amalgamation of attitude and behavior that is at odds with Hawaiian and local values and social norms. By situating haole historically and politically, the author asks readers to think about ongoing processes of colonization and possibilities for reformulating the meaning of haole.
For someone who doesn't know and want's to learn, can you give some examples of Hawaiian and Local Values and Social Norms that may differ from the mainland or are unique to Hawaii?

This book looks pretty interesting and if I can find it, I'll definitely check it out.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,235,409 times
Add this to your reading list as well:

<LI class=g>Culture Shock! Hawaii: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette ...

Culture Shock! Hawaii is a refreshing and insightful guide that will help you make Hawaii your home. By Brent Massey.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:33 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,302,804 times
The H word does not mean white or your whiteness. Please look up the history and be correct about the written word. It has come to pass in the last oh say since 1950's that local people started re-directing the meaning and using it to identify white people. It does not mean white and now is used in most part as a replacement for the N word to refer to white people as the white people have ravaged the land, stole the crown, imprisoned the Queen etc...continue to move over here in droves, take all the jobs etc...on and on.

You will not find anyone using the word to identify white people say in the media, greeters at hotels, PC people etc...because it's a big no no for them as the word carries derogatory implications. Local people will use it but not in mixed company unless you are friends (they know whats happened to the word).

The people who do use it to identify themselves are mostly from the mainland, most have money and I will venture have no clue about the real Hawaii history and probably haven't bothered to learn except say the very outer layers; ya know they possess knowledge like what mahalo means, think they've attended a luau etc...

Keep Hawaii real and don't do any revisionist history; tell it like it is. You strive to reinvent the word when the word has an origin and meaning already. That is what needs to be taught. I see what you're trying to do but I feel it's a backward step to try and reinvent hatred or a word that so many identify hatred with. You are doing exactly what all the white men did; reinventing Hawaii and it's culture to fit your own outlook.

Start out with the breath and go forward. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:22 AM

Tyvin, is that directed at me? I merely posted the Title of a UH Manoa book currently available. It discusses actually many things you wrote about in your post: whether the word is derogatory, the history of the word, the history of white people in Hawaii, and the Hawaiian perception of them. I think it's as important as you do that's why I recommended the book. I've never jumped in on any of the discussions here regarding the term because I'm just discovering the many varied aspects of it myself.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:30 AM

JWCubb,
Here are only a few values:

Humility and patience
Obligation to family and community
Hard work and sacrifice
Honoring ancestors
Acting for the sake of children
Aloha aina - love of the land
Taking only what one needs
Leaving places better than we find them
Respect for the beliefs and rights of others
Generosity and reciprocity
Building unity

Anybody else can add more and possibly in reading through previous threads here, you can pick up more as well as some social norms.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:03 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,302,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NandVsMom View Post
Tyvin, is that directed at me? I merely posted the Title of a UH Manoa book currently available. It discusses actually many things you wrote about in your post: whether the word is derogatory, the history of the word, the history of white people in Hawaii, and the Hawaiian perception of them. I think it's as important as you do that's why I recommended the book. I've never jumped in on any of the discussions here regarding the term because I'm just discovering the many varied aspects of it myself.
Please accept my sincere apologies if you believe I was thinking of you when I wrote my reply. I neither remember your screen name nor what you have written about in response to anything on this forum. I am replying to the OP which is you but I am telling it like it is not from any book or forum posts. It may seem rather scary that what I write is so similar to what your book says; could be because it's true and many others besides myself hold the same view/fear.

I really can say I can't remember anyone here except for well I won't mention their name as he is ex military and has my utmost respect as he posts on another thread that I read. I really pay no attention to the screen names on the Hawaii forum I only wrote this in response to my history of growing up here and what is happening or what has happened here.

I would never presume to take on such an attack that you have accused me of. I don't play games and tell it like it is and only hope you will understand that I don't recognize you nor know your opinions on anything and I do not directly insult or insinuate to anyone any ridicule or hatred as indirectly as you have suggested that I did or might have. I simply replied to the thread. May I add I do not practice plagiarism as I have taken extensive writing courses in my lifetime and rather enjoy the art and plagiarism happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves.

Last edited by tyvin; 09-12-2010 at 01:17 AM..

Old 09-12-2010, 01:26 AM

Complete misunderstanding then tyvin. I guess I just got confused by your response to my post recommending the books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii