Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:44 AM

129 posts, read 536,094 times

Advertisements

In my home in Alaska I have the 1 1/2 bamboo flooring that isn't 'engineered' (to be cross-hatched- you know what I mean?), but it is made up of compressed, glued, "solid bamboo" (not laminate). I LOVE IT. It took about 2 hours to install in the living room with a pneumatic nailer, was already finished, and looks great. It's very hard, doesn't dent or scratch very easily. I drug the couch over it, and a nail in the foot of the couch GOUGED the floor, but some light sanding, and paste wax, and it looks good as new.

It was fairly cheap, is sustainable, and I think a good value. We've had it for 5 years, and when clean, it looks terrific It also seems very resistant to warping; we had a water jug leaking for a full 2 months while on vacation, and the flooring was fine- the finish was a little cloudy, but we wiped it up, and you can't even tell.

As for it "regrowing"....not really possible. Maybe if a person used fresh bamboo poles as flooring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 AM

229 posts, read 930,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaineo View Post
We've had a bad experience with cork in our kitchen and living room. If water sits on it and gets into the seams, the underlayer swells up permanently, and you're left with a bulging seam that looks horrible. Our old dog developed an incontinence problem, and we would discover one of her "spots" the next day when it was already too late.
That will happen whether you have oak, pine, cork, bamboo or even laminate. If moisture penetrates the seams, the floor will warp and probably spot.

If you want a waterproof, scratch-proof floor, try tile.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:37 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,453,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
In my home in Alaska I have the 1 1/2 bamboo flooring that isn't 'engineered' (to be cross-hatched- you know what I mean?), but it is made up of compressed, glued, "solid bamboo" (not laminate). I LOVE IT. It took about 2 hours to install in the living room with a pneumatic nailer, was already finished, and looks great. It's very hard, doesn't dent or scratch very easily. I drug the couch over it, and a nail in the foot of the couch GOUGED the floor, but some light sanding, and paste wax, and it looks good as new.

It was fairly cheap, is sustainable, and I think a good value. We've had it for 5 years, and when clean, it looks terrific It also seems very resistant to warping; we had a water jug leaking for a full 2 months while on vacation, and the flooring was fine- the finish was a little cloudy, but we wiped it up, and you can't even tell.

As for it "regrowing"....not really possible. Maybe if a person used fresh bamboo poles as flooring?
I was surprised at the posts about bamboo being soft. It's supposed to be a very hard wood. Must be the "engineering"

Old 09-18-2010, 09:06 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,526,965 times
Tile is the answer in Hawaii.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:07 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,453,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Tile is the answer in Hawaii.
I dunno about the OP, but I hate walking on tiles. It just feels gross, like you're always in a bathroom!

Old 09-19-2010, 02:31 PM

682 posts, read 2,796,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I dunno about the OP, but I hate walking on tiles. It just feels gross, like you're always in a bathroom!
Yeah, I am the OP, and that's how I feel. We have tile in the kitchen & bathroom, and I have cushion-y mats all over the kitchen just so I can bear to stand on it while I'm cooking. The "barefoot while indoors" custom does not mesh with tile floors, IMO.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:10 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,526,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
Yeah, I am the OP, and that's how I feel. We have tile in the kitchen & bathroom, and I have cushion-y mats all over the kitchen just so I can bear to stand on it while I'm cooking. The "barefoot while indoors" custom does not mesh with tile floors, IMO.
But they are more durable, easier to clean and keep clean, and are fire resistant. Many types are also stain resistant and they don't scratch like wood.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:42 AM

682 posts, read 2,796,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
But they are more durable, easier to clean and keep clean, and are fire resistant. Many types are also stain resistant and they don't scratch like wood.
I have three pets. I care much less about stains & scratches than I do about back & foot pain. I am resigned to stains on scratches on... well... just about everything I own. Did I mention the three pets?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
Tile floors work if the underlayment is on cement, if it is tile over a wood floor it will frequently crack because the floors flex more than the tile. If you are going to put tile on an old wood floor, use small tiles so they won't be as prone to cracking.

We have old painted wood floors. They are really nice on the feet and really easy to care for. Mostly I let the robots sweep the floor but occasionally I'll get the corners where the robot can't reach or mop since we only have the sweeping robot and not the mopping robot.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 PM

229 posts, read 930,185 times
Default I <3 robots

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Mostly I let the robots sweep the floor ...
I love my robot! Speedy is pretty darn good at keeping the dust under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii