Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 11:38 AM

23 posts, read 129,529 times

Advertisements

I can't find any info on this at the airline web site, so thought someone who has already shipped animals over could help me.
I am flying Hawaiian Airlines Seattle - Honolulu - Hilo with dog crate and cat crate in cargo of same plane I am flying on.
I have the approved crates, and the white plastic drinking "bowl" that comes with the crates and hooks onto the wire. Is this all that is required?
OR do I need a hanging water bottle ?
THANKS for your help on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 12:03 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,615 times
We used the little clip-on 'bowl' and filled it with ice chips. (At the Continental 'pet safe' office in Newark, they even had a cooler full of ice just for this purpose. BTW, the Continental people were great, I had no qualms about putting my kitties on their 11-hr. Newark-Honolulu flight. That won't work now, since the animal inspection office in HNL is no longer open 'till 8, so I don't know what people from the east coast are doing - maybe stopping over in CA with their pets and flying to HNL the next day. That wouldn't have worked for us, since we didn't fly with our kitties - had someone pick them up in HNL for us. Guess we were lucky to get in before the new hours took effect!)

They still had some water in the bowls when they were picked up.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Most people will add another water bottle to provide extra water. The airlines may try to refill the bowl before loading but the regular bowls may spill some out. Make sure the pets drink a few hours before flight and casn use the bathroom before loading in Seattle. Also make sure your pet knows how to use the bottle if you use it. You only have to deal with Seattle to Honolulu since you have to claim your pets in Honolulu and take them to the next airline checkin counter so you can refill the bowl for the short trip to Hilo. Give yourself plenty of time betwen flight in Honolulu cause you have to get off the plane, go to DoA station, wait for the pets to clear, get them to the next flight. check DoA website to makesure you not coming on a furloug day which backs up the releases.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:38 PM

682 posts, read 2,793,761 times
I used the clip-on bowl. Filled it with water the night before and froze it, so that it would melt slowly through the flight.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:02 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
Aloha,
I used a larger clip on bowl ( ordered separately) and tapped on water bottles to the crate for the handlers to give to the dog. I also purchased after i got int the airport a large bottle of water so I could water the dog as soon as we landed.

This done the handlers did not touch the water or check the level of water in the bowl so the dog drank all the water when we landed. If you have a dog larger than 10 lbs then the plastic pos bowl that comes with the crate is only good for hamsters.

Good luck
Koa

Old 09-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
If you have a dog larger than 10 lbs then the plastic pos bowl that comes with the crate is only good for hamsters.
Koa
The bowls are small and when you remember that the crates have to be lifted and moved around, half probably spill. Airlines really are not allowed to remove things on t he crate so extra water bottles may not be used unless clearly marked "Extra dog water" or something like that. But it does not hurt to attach extra water incase the handlers do get a chance to give the water.

one thing i do warn people, be careful freezing the water. Many dogs have been injured by ice and some of those bottles will flake apart inside when frozen and your dog could swallow those flakes of plastic. If you need to test, freeze the water, set it out to thaw and look at the water to see if its cloudy or has small tiny things floating around. If so, get a new bottle labeled for freezing.

The lick bottles are good if your dog knows how to use them.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:32 PM

23 posts, read 129,529 times
Thanks for all your helpful replies. I am going with freezing the water inside the clipon bowl. Thanks.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Make sure that you double secure the crate with those tie wraps, you would be surprise how many start to come apart because the screws get a bit loose. Also make sure your name is on the crate, even if you have to use a magic marker. tags, lables can all fall off. Also tie wrap the door as an added safety. Most dogs that get free in airport does so because the doors pop open. a penny fix to secure your dog.

Many recommend getting one of those luggage carts before you get to DoA because there may not be any there. It can get really tiring pushing or lugging the crate to the next airline. make it as easy on you as you can and those carts don't cost much to use.

A few days before the trip give the dog as much water and food as it likes, but cut back the day before. never withold water or food, just make it smaller compared to normal. This way the dog is well fed and hydrated, but not so much on moving day it messes up the crate. Try to walk the dog right before you tender it for travel so it gets a potty break. In LA, just make a quiet inquiry about your dog at passeneger services. They will check to make sure everything is set for the next leg.

Call the airline and find out exactly where they want you to tender the animal and ask what is the cut off time. No need to bringt he dog three hours ahead and have it sit in the cargo area for that long when you can get away with less time.

When you get to Honolulu, take a few minutes to take care of yourself. bathroom break, a quick snack, get something to drink. afterwards go to quarantine. It takes time to transer fromthe airplane to quarantine so don't drive yourself crazy. I thinkt he dog would rather spend a few extra minutes in quarantine than for you to be haggered by rushing to get nowhere fast.

Now, this is not allowed but it does happen. If the handlers have time and there is a break in work, if they know the dog is freindly and a leash is attached to the crate, some have been known to take them out ina closed room to potty. But they need to know the dog and I have seen notes that say " Hi my name is.. I am very friendly and well behave". Second, this is not allowed but from time to time people have been given access to their pets during layovers. Some airports actually have secured yards for owners to be given acces to the pets and allowed to give them breaks. Most won't but it never hurts to ask if that's an option while in LA.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: