Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 17,648 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt do that to your son. I am from Honolulu and even though Ive been here since I was 2 I experienced lots of racism in school. It depends a lot on which district you move to. Cherck out the ethnicity percentages of districts on this site. Keep in ming that much of the caucasian percentage is either mixed race or portuguese (been here for many generations)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,309 times
Our teaching experience in Hawaii~

Our children hate the way they're treated (white, in a town that's half white) and we get the same at our schools. Unbelievably unprofessional behavior from lying to blaming us for things we didn't do (the schools are usually going through restructuring, and haoles get blamed for everything, even though they typically work the hardest).. Japanese administrators are the worst at racial back stabbing. They smile in your face and do whatever it takes to help one another, with no apparent conscience or shame... It's REALLY bad.

Hawaii is beautiful, but we were attacked at the beach we camped at, and the cops wouldn't even take a report, so now I'm just looking to leave. You are CRAZY if you ask your kids to do high school here, the boys are hated by boys and girls for being white by minorities, and all the girls get aggressively used and abused by local boys who think they own them. Rapes on the way to school go unreported, and Micronesian welfare drunks have killed about a dozen people on the roads near my small rural town in the past year, we can't even drive late on the weekends because they like to race like total morons.

I came here with Aloha in my heart, some were nice, but most saw it as weakness, and made they me pay dearly for it.... Meanwhile they are intimidated by and give into the type of rude, selfish and pushy behavior they claim to hate haoles for, the kind that Californian landlord types run them around with, so its understandable why this anger lives on, wrecking everything....

Last edited by Chris.Montagne; 10-15-2010 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 10-16-2010, 09:01 AM

25 posts, read 59,262 times
Good grief, Chris, where in HI do you live? I'm very sorry to hear about that sort of experience for you.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:20 AM

6 posts, read 27,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
I'm currently at $70K with 16 years of experience and a masters + 30. How quickly does it rise? From what I could tell, I'd start at $48K but the salary schedule online doesn't show anything else.

What about special ed programs? My son is legally blind but still able to attend regular school (he has very low vision, but it's enough to read, write, etc). He's got a good vision person now that works with him but I have no idea what the high school situation will be.
This is kind of late, but I went to HS on Oahu and was in the same situation as your son- legally blind, but able to attend school, study, read, etc. fairly independently.

My experience was pretty good. Services such as tutors, note-takers, counselors, and assistive tech were available to me even though I rarely used them. I knew who to contact if I needed anything, and my teachers were very understanding and helpful without being patronizing.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:02 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,306,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twood226 View Post
When I went to HS in Hawaii back in the 80's , I saw 3 Haole teachers beat up pretty bad.

I never saw that in college, though one of my instructors woke up to a dead cat tied to his windshield wiper and a dead dove shoved in his gas tank.... All because he made mistake of asking his students to not refer to each other by their race.

They sure do like racism in the Alha state!
20-30ish years ago, though? I don't know if people should go by that...

Old 10-30-2010, 12:10 AM

53 posts, read 197,527 times
Chris, I'm also sorry to hear about your bad experience in Hawaii. When I was younger, I was picked on in school for not being able to speak English at all, and being a "fob," but as I grew older, I felt I was completely embraced as a local kid. Perhaps your children are also still in that phase where the local kids don't understand them yet? I'm curious as to what part of Hawaii you are in. I know during my time in school, I had plenty of well respected white educators and classmates who we just considered part of our melting pot.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:31 PM

543 posts, read 3,078,851 times
Just wondering, what is the web-based business?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 12,364 times
Teaching in Hawaii is great because they have one of the shortest school years in the world. Plus, the kids in public school are easily entertained with the Cartoon Channel and quick, random action. Over 25% of the kids in Hawaii go to private school. There is a reason for that -- the Hawaii Fiefdom of Education. Plenty of probies are hired from the Mainland every year. Just be prepared to pay a fortune for rent, gas, and food.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 PM

941 posts, read 1,968,674 times
One thought about the schooling is that if you were hired at a private school, your kids would probably get reduced tuition at the same school. That way you have a job and you avoid some of the problems of the public schools.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 PM

7 posts, read 7,699 times
Default Still in AZ?

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if frackie ever made it out of AZ and to Hawaii? I, too, live in this cesspool called Arizona and would love to relocate to Hawaii as I am Hawaiian/Chinese. My husband and I are master's students in Special Education and working in the field. It's nice to read about someone who's also disgusted with the state of education here! So many Arizonans haven't a clue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii