Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,446 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to Hawaii to continue my teaching career. I have one pressing question, and that is, "How difficult is the process of getting hired as a teacher of elementary education?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 PM

101 posts, read 415,976 times
Hi JesseH,

The process wasn't difficult for me, but I think it's different with everyone.

I applied with the DOE while I was still on the mainland, and applied to get my Hawaii Teaching License before I got here, too. I got both in order before I moved back.

I got a job shortly after my in-take interview and was hired on the spot with the second school I interviewed with.

My mainland friend moved to Hawaii, with the same degree (ECE/ELEM EDUC), and went on many job interviews but did not get a job. She's returning back to the mainland. She did not have her Hawaii Teaching License before she arrived, and I don't know if she got around to getting one at all.

Principals want/need to hire highly-qualified teachers and prefer to hire Hawaii Licensed Teachers, but I do know of teachers that do not have a teaching license, but are in a teaching program in Hawaii and teach.

The process of applying is easy enough, but getting a job is another thing. I don't know if I got the job because I'm from Hawaii, my great attitude about life and learning , or what, but I got a job.

My friend had the same degree and didn't get a job, but did not have her Hawaii teaching license before she arrived. Getting a job is a hard question to answer, but the process of applying is easy enough.

On the positive side, the DOE is still hiring.

"Our recruitment priorities for the 2011-12 school year are in our geographic isolated areas and/or shortage areas:
  • Elementary (limited) – Island of Hawaii..."
Although, when I applied last year, there was nothing posted about jobs available on the DOE site like the above for elementary teachers. There was nothing!

Incidentally, I was not hired at the beginning of the school year, but well into the beginning of the school year. School enrollment changes so there may be a need for teachers as enrollment changes.

You can always sub until you get a job, too. Substitute teachers make $159 a day. Not too shabby. Get yourself known out there in schools and the following year, you might have a better shot at getting a job.

Good luck to you!

Job Opportunities

Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 AM

219 posts, read 497,537 times
Thank you so much for this information. Would you happen to know if teaching positions ever open up around January? I understand you can't predict what will happen, I'm just asking if you've known of it happening. The recruiters have told me illness, family emergency, or maternity leave could open something up but I don't know the odds of that happening.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:30 PM

Hi FallenIntoGreatness:

Yep, I've heard of teaching positions opening up in January. A new teacher was hired at my school last year more than half-way through the school year, because a grade-level class got too big.

We can't predict what will happen, but teachers do get pregnant, have emergencies, or need to go on medical leave, etc. Don't fret. Something will come up.

If one does not have a teaching job, subbing can bring in some money while waiting. I do know there are not enough highly-qualified substitute teachers out there.

One does not need a teaching license to be a substitute teacher and so that opens the door to anyone with a bachelor's degree. So if you're a licensed teacher subbing, you'll get noticed more so, and if a job should come around, they'll be calling you up, I'm sure!

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2011, 04:39 PM

I was wondering who does the background checks for HI? I have completed one here and it would be great if it transferred.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:47 PM

The DOE processes the fingerprints at one's district office. They are then sent off for checking. Unfortunately, background checks cannot be transferred. It's too bad, but a safety precaution. I think we had to pay for it, too. $60 if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if I wrote a check or it came out of my pay.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:02 AM

414 posts, read 1,010,505 times
Hawaii seems to go about the hiring process differently from the mainland. My husband and I are both teachers and a few years ago, were seriously considering selling everything but our dog and a bit of clothing, and heading to Hawaii from Ohio.

The problem we ran into was that there were elementary jobs open, and we were pretty confident my husband would be able to get a job. At least on the mainland, male elementary teachers are picked up rather quickly, so we figured it was a safe bet with him. Me...not so much. There was not a need at the time for middle school LA/SS teachers and we couldn't afford living there on one salary.
It worked out well for us, as we ended up getting pregnant the summer we would have picked up and moved.

So here we are, not in Ohio or Hawaii, we moved to Kentucky.

Good luck with everything and I hope it works out for you!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:52 AM

9 posts, read 23,164 times
I have a question related to this, too. I see on the HIDOE website, that HI requires the Praxis test in specific subject area. I took the California required tests for my California credential. I teach special education and would LOVE to relocate to HI. I contaced the DOE and didn't receive a clear response re: the Praxis. I'm thinking of applying for the credential this year.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:14 AM

2 posts, read 10,397 times
Regarding a Hawaii teacher's license-
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...have-take.html

I did not have one, and I still got a job at an EXCELLENT school (for Hawaii DOE). I think if you have completed a state approved licensing program and you can market yourself well you don't need to worry about that until you actually get the job....?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:53 PM

There are 5 priority levels for hiring and having the license first will move you up. 1) Locals with a SATP and current license, 2) Non locals with above, 3) Locals w/o license but w/ a degree, 4) Non locals w/ SATP but w/o liscense and 5) People w/o either but have some education that could get them a license
The schools will look at applicants from level 1 first and move down, so there is a chance you could get a position w/o everything in order but it will be smaller than if you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii