Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 05:40 PM

329 posts, read 1,048,563 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere about a university in Hawaii that was renowned for its program on studying the East-West literature/culture difference. It's a liberal arts program I believe, but I forgot which school it was. Anybody know?

It's a really vague question, sorry, I wish I had more. I'm pretty sure it was on the main island in Honolulu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 06:34 PM

369 posts, read 778,272 times
UH Manoa.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:47 PM

229 posts, read 930,328 times
Could this be what you're thinking of?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East%E2%80%93West_Center

Last edited by lauleahere&there; 10-05-2010 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-05-2010, 06:55 PM

OH YEA! that's the one! damn that was fast, you guys are better than wikipedia.

i heard this program was really good. would you know anything about that?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 PM

I don't think its a program you can major in. The East-West Center is like a facility that fosters asian/western interactions and ideology comparisons and what not. You can major in asian studies at UH Manoa, it's probably the best program in the nation for that particular major. Events, meetings, cultural celebrations, interactions, etc. (stuff outside of class) are hosted there frequently. What is your interest, Asian Languages, or Asian studies?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:14 PM

well, i'm an adopted asian and would like to study more of the historical/cultural aspects of Eastern culture. I graduated from Amherst with a BA in European Studies, and I have a strong interest in learning about the differences between East-West cultures...their literature, art, music, culture, politics, economy, history, etc. So I was looking around for a graduate program that I can apply to on short notice, and I vaguely remembered reading about a masters program in hawaii that sounded perfect (although not at the time, apparently!).

So it sounds like I'd need to apply to UH Manoa first, and then take classes in East-West Center?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:53 PM

As far as i know classes aren't held in the East-West Center. Its just a building that events are held at to symbolize the meshing of eastern and western culture. I'm sure there is a masters program in asian studies (it may require language up to a certain level).

Old 10-05-2010, 08:08 PM

I think I found the link for it: EWC Graduate Degree Fellowship

I wasn't sure if they offered courses there, but they sure do offer graduate degree programs. It states that "Center fellowships are provided for degree study at the University of Hawai‘i and participation in the Center's international and intercultural programs." I guess this means courses are held at UH Manoa.

It also states that there are certain courses to take "beyond fulfilling degree requirements at the University of Hawaii," which I presume to mean that you must be enrolled in UH Manoa as a graduate student.

Man, I'm still confused. I guess I'll call them tomorrow morning. Their website doesn't explain it very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: