Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM

129 posts, read 371,562 times

Advertisements

Just curious....if there were any folks out there that moved to Hawaii then moved back to the main land and returned to Hawaii?? If so, how many times did you move on and off?? We ourselves did the trip on and off 3 times and are thinking about returning again. Are we just crazy or are there others like us.....? Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 03:06 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
I did it twice. I met one woman who had moved here and back 10 times in 8 years. Actually, most of the mainlanders I know have lived here more than once.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 PM

I have heard it is pretty common for folks to come over, leave and then come back again..... some times over and over for years. Wonder why this happens to so many different folks? We left a couple years ago for medical issues, another time due to work and another time because we wanted to live closer to family so our kids could see everyone......But we can't seem to shake wanting to come back again for a 4th time. It is the craziest thing

Old 10-18-2010, 04:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Its common because they came over with rose colored galsses looking for the Hawaii of their vacation. Reality of living versus vacationing is hard to take. They leave and start realizing if they make some adjustments (OR LISTEN TO WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING INSTEAD OF TAKING IT AS A NEGATICE COMMENT) they can tweek their lifestyle and have a better go at it. The next time they come, they have some real expereince to better deal with things they glossed over first time. There are others who just couldn't hack it for things like island fever, lack of seasons, etc, but aftre moving back to the mainland, those things were not so bad compared to all the junk on the mainland so they bite the bullet and say they would rather have the Hawaiian islands over the mainland.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:51 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeinspectorboise View Post
Just curious....if there were any folks out there that moved to Hawaii then moved back to the main land and returned to Hawaii?? If so, how many times did you move on and off?? We ourselves did the trip on and off 3 times and are thinking about returning again. Are we just crazy or are there others like us.....? Aloha
Instead of the "all or nothing" position of moving, some folks realized that it's possible to maintain multiple residences. I travel back and forth between my houses in Hawai'i and California a couple of times per month.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Instead of the "all or nothing" position of moving, some folks realized that it's possible to maintain multiple residences. I travel back and forth between my houses in Hawai'i and California a couple of times per month.
Are there really people who don't realize they're rich? :P

Old 10-18-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post

Great for you, seriously! But I was referring to the average person or family that left and came back numerous times for different reasons. I just don't hear that much about people leaving and returning to other places in the US like they do Hawaii. Can't imagine moving to Kansas and leaving and than wanting to return over and over.....

Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Aloha

I have friends that are on their third and final try. For numerous reasons they had to return back to the mainland. I myself am on my first and final try I do have to say its not a try there is no effort at all on my ( or my wife's) part its a perfect fit and has always been. I have never felt so at home even where I was born and raised.

Koa

Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 AM

806 posts, read 2,341,570 times
We have been to Oahu and back twice already and are planning our third move, but to Maui this time. I agree with you all, it was a perfect fit for us and we realize that we are fooling ourselves by trying to live within the mainland. We left the first time because of a military transfer, then got out and moved back. Oahu is great if you're not military!!! Moved off island 2nd time because I needed to finish my nursing degree. Finally got it!!! So, going back to start living again, instead of surviving here...
We know how it is and what to expect. We will be bringing our 2 kids this time, so it will be a little different. Can't just squat on da beach til we find one rental!!!!!

Great post-Aloha!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 AM

"Can't just squat on da beach til we find one rental!!!!!"

Now that is funny! I totally can relate to that statement seeing so many folks do that and think they can do that.

We will probably retreat back to Maui also in the next 6 to 9 months as we would rather struggle in Maui than anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii