Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 06:41 AM

3 posts, read 8,452 times

Advertisements

Talk Story, How did you like it ? Any advice?

I am looking into moving there I am a Special Ed teacher

Email if you like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 02:12 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadebuddhacoach View Post
Talk Story, How did you like it ? Any advice?
I am looking into moving there I am a Special Ed teacher
Email if you like
My experience was not "recent", but I did work in Special Ed just after moving to the Big Island...it's a tough route for some, especially if coming to HI from the mainland. My advice would be visit if you can and spend some time talking with teachers in their classrooms.

Turnover is high. Many teachers who move here from other places face issues with meeting the state qualifications. We had two teachers who were fully certified, one I remember was from NY, and who had all kinds of trouble getting "official" (rather than "temp") positions. Ask what your status will be...

Another thing that Special Ed teachers deal with is being required to take on additional case loads due to understaffing or teachers who choose to leave during a school term. You may start a year with "X" number of cases, but by the end of the year the number is significantly higher. This adds a lot of work hours on to your regular work week, since you have to attend the IEP meetings and follow up on the action plans.

Some schools have stronger departments than others....always ask how long the Dept. Head has been in his/her position. There is high turnover there too.

The last semester I worked in a Special Ed department: one teacher, who had moved from NY to Hilo for a Special Ed position, resigned during the first semester and took a job at the Volcano Winery. One math class never got a permanent teacher, it was "taught" by substitutes the entire year (the teacher who was hired for that class, a local man, came in for the first day and never came back). One of the department co-chairs moved into a regular ed English class when the opportunity opened up. Not long after I left, the department head moved into an adminstrative position when a vice principal left. One teacher was considering resigning because the DOE would not recognize his certification and pay him accordingly. On the other hand, one teacher finished her "RISE" program and moved into a full-permanent position with matching salary. Other teachers signed on for the next school year and continued their work...

It can be a rewarding job, but also a very time-consuming and bumpy road. Much will depend on the school and the team you are working with...

Hopefully others will add their thoughts....

Old 10-05-2007, 05:37 AM

Thanks I will check on the Certificaton issues.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:19 AM

Default No one else

Must be some more teachers on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii