Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:40 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,424,704 times

Advertisements

I strongly suggest that, even though the information you are receiving is great, that you spend the time and energy to do your own research. Talk to your Vet and follow..step-by-step, the instructions on the HI AG website. You will save yourself alot of questions and hopefully, alot of expense and heartache in the long run. The AG dept is very helpful and can answer all your questions via email.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM

150 posts, read 416,418 times
We used South Shore Vet Care (google it) in Kihei. Desiree can walk you through the process and fees. No stop in HNL, direct release at OGG - if you take the direct flight that accepts direct release (United).

Old 11-13-2010, 12:57 AM

806 posts, read 2,346,275 times
I've tried coming up with a simple checklist, I posted it on another forum a long time ago..
It may not be complete, you HAVE to check the website and print ALL instructions and follow them to the "T".

GOOD LUCK

For Direct Release...

Copy and Paste to your documents to see it properly!

DOG CHECKLIST
1st Rabies Vac _________________
Place Microchips ______________
2nd Rabies Vac __________________

(wait 21 days)
Have dogs blood drawn
FAVN Blood test to lab__________________
check lab results _________________
http://hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/info

(Wait 4 months)
30 days prior to arrival, SEND:
1) "Direct release" documents, including type written letter of request from you. Include flight info date and time of arrival..
2) Complete and notarized "Dog and cat import form"

***Contact (island’s) Humane Society ___________
(to schedule vet to meet you at airport to inspect dog)

Date you sent all documents ________________
(Wait 30 days)

Within 14 days PRIOR to arrival:
1)Get, from your vet a "Certificate of Health" ______________
2)Have your vet administer TICK treatments (NOT
Revolution) ________

**KEEP ALL RECORDS AND RECEIPTS FROM YOUR VET

3)Neighbor Island inspection permits from the mail
Rcd______________

Carry all of these documents on the plane with you

*** MUST arrive Hawaii between 8:00 am and -______pm

Meet with Vet!
Pets must stay in carrier until you get into a vehicle!!

I don't have the prices though....

Old 11-15-2010, 12:28 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,079,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauleahere&there View Post
Please forgive if I am stating the obvious, but your dog also needs a reservation to fly on whatever airline you choose. When we flew ours, his "ticket" was about $300, (LAX -->HNL) .
Which airline did you fly.
And is there one that will let you take the dog in the cabin
Mine's a shih tzu and he can't fly in cargo

Old 11-15-2010, 12:40 PM

229 posts, read 931,245 times
Hubby and dog flew Continental without a hitch. He spoke to a flight attendant on boarding and asked to be given updates (when our dog was brought aboard, please inform the captain, etc.) They were responsive and professional every step of the way. He chose to upgrade to first class that day, so that the attendant to passenger rate was a little higher, and he could be assured of being taken seriously. Not saying you couldn't fly coach, just that he had the option and took it.

There are charter companies who will allow you to put your pup in the seat next to you. Dogtravel Company - Travel to Hawaii is one. They are very expensive. Last time I looked, it was something like $2,500 per passenger--so $5000 for you and your dog. It's probably gone up by now.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,239,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Tenzo,

None of the airlines allow pets in the cabin coming into Hawaii. I'm sure due to the quarrantine laws. We have a Lhasa and ended up driving to LAX and putting him on an air cargo plane ( Pacific Air cargo). Their entire plane is pressurized and they put the pets right behind the pilots. They transport circus animals and breeding stock, so are really good with pets. They leave LAX around midnight every night and arrive in HNL around 5:30 am.

I can't remember the price, but it was pretty reasonable. Maybe $3 per lb? Not much for a small dog & carrier. When my husband went to pick him up in HNL, the office ladies had taken him out of his carrier and were playing with him. They were just awesome to deal with. Good luck, its hard to figure out all the logistics!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:45 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,079,751 times
Thanks for the information.
This is very usefull.
Right now our fallback is NetJets. But we have to impose on a member to fly.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:40 PM

9 posts, read 12,687 times
Here is the best site for all animal questions.

Check out www.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/info (http://www.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/info - broken link)

Good luck.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,609,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
No dogs can be flown in the cabin. Airlines have restrictions on short-snout breeds; check their web site for these restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: