Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 PM

51 posts, read 81,049 times

Advertisements

So me and my wife decided after our stint in Thailand we will be heading to Hawaii. My wife wants to move to Hilo.
So my question is mostly Job wise. I have looked at monster and CL and it seems that jobs are beyond sparse on the Bigisland were as oahu is rather plentiful (more jobs than chicago it seems). We both have BA's and I have an IT cert. We would be willing to do what ever at first as long as it pays the bills but i have a feeling oahu would be easier to start off on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 AM

239 posts, read 520,782 times
Your impression is correct. There are little to no jobs here in Hilo. Even the "willing to do whatever at first as long as it pays the bills" types of jobs are non-existent for the most part. What you would "lower" yourself to do elsewhere you would be lucky to get here. It's much worse now than it was five years ago, but that's the case most places since the recession.

I've heard that 80% of the total population in the islands lives on Oahu because that's where the jobs are. I don't know how accurate the percentage is, but it sounds about right.

Good luck with your move!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
For all practical purposes, there are no IT jobs in Hilo (or Kailua-Kona for that matter).
What you see on Craigslist or the local newspaper is about it. There are a few medical related jobs for nurses, etc., through the two or three temp agencies.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:55 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
If you can bring a job with you that you can do over the internet, that would be a good thing!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 AM

51 posts, read 81,049 times
My IT experince is limited to fixing comps, never liked making websites. Also have tons of mechanic background/contracting. It looks like we will feel it out in Oahu first and if we get on our feet sooner or later try out the big island

Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Small engine repair might be a viable business in the Big Island. There was a fellow in the next camp over from us who had a small engine repair business but he retired last year. He ran it out of his garage and it was profitable, he just wanted to retire. Nobody has started another shop yet, so there's room for another one.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 PM

11 posts, read 25,733 times
I don't know that an "IT cert" is going to do much for you in Hilo. Technical jobs open periodically in the various telescope support shops in the tech park next to UH-Hilo, but you'd need pretty solid s/w engineering experience to qualify. Frankly, you'd have better odds (neighbor island-wise) on Maui (Kihei tech park), or Kauai (Waimea/PMRF).

There's a lot more opportunity on Oahu, the trade off being the degree of urban living, if that's an issue.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 PM

206 posts, read 186,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkinsey808 View Post
I am one of the developers of a free job website called JobsFreeForAll.com, and we have a page dedicated to just jobs on Big Island: Big Island, Hawaii Jobs - Jobs Free For All (http://www.jobsfreeforall.com/jobs/big_island_hawaii - broken link)

If you end up looking for jobs on Oahu, you might want to check our Oahu jobs page: Oahu Jobs - Jobs Free For All (http://www.jobsfreeforall.com/jobs/oahu - broken link)

Times are tough! Good Luck!

--Ben Kinsey
Web Developer and former resident of Big Island
No offense, but you're a web developer that doesn't recognize when php tags aren't working? Twice?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:53 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Just a general comment... as bad as it seems, the 8% unemployment rate in Hawai'i is actually lower than the national rate of 9.8%. There, don't you feel better?

Of course there are fewer jobs in Hilo. It's a town of 40,000. Honolulu is a city of nearly a million. It's simple math.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Just a general comment... as bad as it seems, the 8% unemployment rate in Hawai'i is actually lower than the national rate of 9.8%. There, don't you feel better?

Of course there are fewer jobs in Hilo. It's a town of 40,000. Honolulu is a city of nearly a million. It's simple math.
That 8% rate for Hawaii is scewed by Oahu, the outer islands' rates are much higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii