Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 12:50 PM

52 posts, read 196,455 times

Advertisements

we are planning on a move this fall but haven't 100% made our minds which island yet. Its between Oahu and BI ... Oahu has more jobs, but BI has cheaper living. Oahu has city and HU but BI is huge ... I dunno, we are right now trying to decide on one and then visit for a month or two cuz MIL wants to see what its like since she might make the move too. What I would love an opinion on is were you would recommend to go. Here's kinda what we are looking for
under $1,200, doesn't have to be big, just space to grow food and BBQ
SO and MIL are puertorican and Im white Indian mix, tan dark wavy hair and hazel eyes, baby is tan with light hair and blue eyes but Hispanic looking... Kinda lol. We aren't worried about racist stuff, we got lots of aloha to go around and a smile in our eyes we still would like it to be safe and clean. Climate wise we would like the warm spots, I know they're are spots that are very windy or cooler. Close to a nice beach would be great too, near shopping and other people. Any ideas or opinions are greatly appritated! Mahalo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 02:46 PM

60 posts, read 394,106 times
i do not know much about BI. i want to tho =) i will be going there for a month in AUG. i am STOKED. but i love oahu. plenty of jobs. 1200 is average for an apt with a linai. or balcony. good place to gets some pots and plant a few delicous foods.

good luck. what every you dicide =)

Old 05-29-2008, 03:11 PM

what would a job pay there in Oahu? Let's say a job I could easily get like retail or a hotel job? We are going to move with $10k and I will work one job and my SO will work two and we hope that will be able to support us. We got a two yr old and I don't want to leave him too long without me. I was thinking of finding a second job of yard work or someting. Here in Wi ian a nanny for one of my jobs, do they hire people like that to help wit their kids in Hi?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 19,731 times
You will get more house for the money on the Big Island. Oahu has more jobs and traffic.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:20 AM

yea.. i agree big island.. way more head room.

oahu... more jobs. more night life. and more people. more traffic. more everytihng except space.

so red or white wine? all in the drinker. what you like. what your lookin for. you can get a job on oahu no problem. 3.3 unemployment
lol

Old 05-30-2008, 11:27 AM

LOL white wine ... Really I love strawberry Andre but I think that's a champaigne its only like $4 LOL. Not much of a drinker, SO likes night life but not too much. With the baby we don't go out too much. I think we will move to Oahu since we will be able to find work. I'm kinda worried if we movedcto BI we wouldn't be able to find enough work. Wjat area would you recomend us moveing to? I was thinking Kailua but its pretty expensive over there. Then I was thinking about downtown but I don't know ... Any opinions on that? We don't need much room, the only reason we would need a one or two bedroom is if MIL decides to move with us, which she will decide after our one month visit. Then of course we could afford more rent too. For me a big thing that I want is a garden space to grow my own foods and BBQ thanks for the replys! Mahalo!!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:40 AM

what we would like to do is surf, so close a nice beach. I don't kno how to surf yet but Im a exeptional water skiier and snow border... I think I could get a hold of surfing pretty fast. The baby loves beaches too. The traffic won't bother me. We are uses to it here, a 20 min drive took my 3 1/2 hrs once. Its not a big deal. I like warmth and don't mind rain. I dont want to be anywere to rural, I would like to live close neighbors. We are pretty social people again any ideas will be greatly appritiated. Sorry had to make it into two messges I thought I was done LOL

Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 PM

lol. i think sea country in waianae mite be something to consiter. or the the city of kapalei. there are reasonable 2 and 3 bedrooms avalible in kapalei. less then 2000 per month. but u need something like that to have a garden BBQ area. inless you dont mind haveing a "small garden" on ur balcony. in wich case u can find a place for 1500 and less.

those two places are about 45 min to town (honolulu) its warmer and dryer here. we get more sun year round then kailua.. kailua is very nice tho.. all of oahu had a lot of different things to offer. a month mite be enouph time to find something that goes to your beat =)

Old 05-30-2008, 10:30 PM

yea we were thinking about waianae. I think we might just go with a porch or something for a small garden. Hopefully our neighors will like us and we can BBQ together LOL. There aren't too many tourists over there, right? How are the beaches? The only thing is that its far from the city for like jobs and stuff, we are planning on just taking the bus and selling our cars. One question I forget about was how are people with renting homes to those with dogs? We have a Pomeranian and a pit bull, here there is a law against pits in the process of being passed so we have her registered as a bulldog lab mix but its petty obvious she is a pit ... We found her so we aren't 100% she is even pit LOL but does anyone know anyone with dogs that rents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii