Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times

Advertisements

In addition to what has been said already, I'd add that in your kind of situation you can probably just call it however you want to. In other words, if you can make a good case either way, ie, you spend equal time in each, choose the one that gives you the most financial benefit. But if you spend more time in one location than another, that is really your principal residence.

A couple of reasons you might wish to choose Hawai'i:

If you sell your Hawai'i property, as a non-resident you will be taxed 10% of any gain on the sale price. Residents are not liable for this tax.

As a resident you can declare your property as a Homestead, which give you some protection against losing your home in event of a lawsuit or personal bankruptcy.

As a Hawai'i resident you will get kama'aina rates on a lot of things which can really add up. When I need to rent a car, with my Hawai'i driver's license I pay half what tourists do. At many hotels, kama'aina rates are much lower. At Uncle Billy's in Kona, for instance, I pay $54 a night for the same room that tourists pay $80-120 for. And at the big resort hotels it's even better. I once stayed in a Hilton suite that normally costs $600/night and only paid $100. Even 10% discounts on things like Kona coffee or Hilo Hattie shirts add up.

And this is much harder info to dig out, but there are things like the unadvertised boutique hotel I stay at in Hilo when I have a late night down there and don't feel like driving back up the mountain to Volcano. It's very nice, and it costs $50. But they don't rent to non-locals. It's strictly a word-of-mouth thing for kama'aina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 08:24 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,313,663 times
I'm pretty sure I've posted this before, but to apply for the exemption for homeowners in Hawaii, you are supposed to live in the home 200 days/year.

More info in this PDF: Explanation of the Real Property Tax: Homeowner Exemption

Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,277,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
I'm pretty sure I've posted this before, but to apply for the exemption for homeowners in Hawaii, you are supposed to live in the home 200 days/year.

More info in this PDF: Explanation of the Real Property Tax: Homeowner Exemption
That's only for the Big Island. For Honolulu County and Kaua'i County, you're supposed to live in the home for 270 days/year.
https://www.realpropertyhonolulu.com...ums&li=einfo#3
Kauai County Real Property Tax Exemption Information

For Maui County, there's no explicit occupancy requirement for the homeowner exemption. However, a few years ago, the Maui County Council considered following O'ahu's lead....
Homeowner exemption scrutinized - Mauinews.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Visitor's Information - The Maui News
http://www.mauicounty.gov/documents/Finance/Real%20Property%20Tax%20Division/Forms%20and%20Applications/home_exemption.PDF (broken link)

Old 12-21-2010, 07:29 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,313,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
For Honolulu County and Kaua'i County, you're supposed to live in the home for 270 days/year.
Mahalo for the correction!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
Yes, mahalo for the correction. I meet that standard myself, but I do spend a fair amount of time on the mainland so it's good to be clear what the legal standard is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii