Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:41 AM

406 posts, read 869,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmalla View Post
Ha Ha that was funny about the mini cooper.
You did not mention which island you would be moving to. I can tell you about the Big Island Hilo side but its probably the same deal on each island. Some subdivisions here are worse than others, Hawaiian Beaches being one of the worst. When I lived there for about 6 months probably got at least 4 centipedes inside . When I lived In Paradise Park, I got about 3 a year inside the House. Sometimes it can be the street you live on . I had 2 friends who lived across the street from each other. They lived closer to the ocean and they did not get any inside. One of the houses had a lot of big red ants. i think that could be a deterant, because I lived in a house with big red ants and did not get centipedes there. The last house I lived in , It was almost 2 years before I got one inside and it was small. I only got small ones there. That house was located going the mountain towards Volcano. It appears that the higher up in elevation you go, the colder it gets less bugs. Closer to Hilo and warmer more bugs. If you can stand the cold, My friend in Volcano subdivision says she does not get bugs, but it can get in the 40's at night in the winter. As far as gecko's go, they have been inside every house I have lived in. The 2 main things I do not like about geckos is they caca on my furniture, clothes etc and when my cats get them and their tails come off and are moving like its alive. What I can tell you about centipedes are they like cockroaches, so if you can stay cockroach free(keep your house very clean) that helps. They like damp but not wet conditions as they seem to come in more when its raining hard. As far as the size I once saw a green one cut in half that was was at least 6 or more inches. So remember, the colder the place the least likely you'll get the bugs. Try Waimea on Big Island Its cold there.
Jahmalla, whats with the colored text on most of your posts? My 73 year old eyes can't make out what you are saying without straining very much. Since I have such a hard time trying to read your posts, I tend to just skip them and may be missing important information.

I'm sure others have just as hard a time as I do. Please consider using normal, black text - and reserve colors that show up on a white background for emphasis.

Mickey

Last edited by MickeyE; 10-07-2011 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Can't spell sometimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:58 AM

4,435 posts, read 4,976,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
The decision is:

Warm climate + Critters.....or.......Cold climate + shoveling snow?
Living in Alaska, I get to shovel snow all winter and bathe in bug spray all summer. The mosquitoes in Alaska are legendary, but even worse are the nearly microscopic no-see-ums which leave huge painful welts when they bite. We don't have poisonous centipedes, but we do have black and brown bears, wolves, brown recluse spiders, rabid fox, and meth-heads. Point: Bugs and danger are everywhere.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,337,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
Jahmalla, whats with the colored text on most of your posts? My 73 year old eyes can't make out what you are saying without straining very much. Since I have such a hard time trying to read your posts, I tend to just skip them and may be missing important information.

I'm sure others have just as hard a time as I do. Please consider using normal, black text - and reserve colors that show up on a white background for emphasis.

Mickey
Agreed. I had to skip it too. I'm getting yellow/green color splashes just from trying.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:46 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,597,821 times
"I'm getting yellow/green color splashes just from trying"... Mannn,,,, that's a relief!!!!!!! I was wondering what was going on in my head after reading that neon/krypton green . Kind of reminded me of Berkeley and the late 60's early 70's..............Wait a sec------------- Think I'll read it again!!!!!!!!

Aloha from the Valet Aisle

Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 AM

8 posts, read 12,996 times
We live on the 37th floor of a condo and a anole lizard got all the way up here. Unless our neighbor let him loose as a joke. At least they're kind of cute. Put him in a jar and my keiki had fun carrying him to the park and set him free.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:27 AM

6 posts, read 6,966 times
I live on da Big Island, i work out side so bugs so inda buggs house so it's all good BUT inside da house not much problem keepin em out, i make sure doors/windows/screen all good all sealed, every 2-4 weeks i spray (HOME DEFENSE/ HomeDepot)all around inside then next day outside and no worries and should 1 slip in,there done after walking over treated area;really
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: