Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,055,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Because everything on the internet is true!

State Farm® - State of Disbelief (French Model) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 02:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,170,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffinpuffin View Post
I know this thread is a little old, but wondering about story from the OP. Or did Mommyofmanykids make it to HI?
My husband is interviewing for a transferr and I am very nervous. When have 3 kids and 2 dogs. I am a stay at home mom and we homeschool.

I have read every thread I can and find that most people say not to come if you do not have a job or if you have kids.
We will have employment and schooling is not an issue. My biggest problem I see is finding appropriate housing in a decent area that will allow our dogs and not break the budget. I have an English bulldog and a 5 lb Yorkie-poo; we need to stay under 2100. Any suggestions? I am hoping that we can live on BI but am thinking due to his job it may be near Honolulu.

We have moved lots and are used to uprooting and fitting in to new places but I am concerned after reading so many negatives that it won't work. Please share some positive stories!
Perhaps starting a new thread might get more answers for you.

Sometimes positive stories aren't good since they don't properly prepare folks for what is most likely to be reality. Programmers used to say "GIGO" for "Garbage In = Garbage Out" which translates to "you can't get a decent result from improper data input". So, you can hope for a cheap rental on a pristine white beach or find a story about someone who fluked into a perfect rental (or at least says they did) however, the likelihood of that happening is about nil and not something one should plan on. It is sort of like planning on winning the lottery to pay the bills. It happens for someone, but it is not real life to rely on it.

Which island is he interviewing for? I don't think that number of $2,100 will work very well on Oahu (Honolulu) but might work on some of the other islands. If there is anything to rent under that number it will involve hours of commute time if he is working anywhere near downtown. Nor will it include utilities. I'm not sure what Oahu electric rates are, but Big Island runs about forty some odd cents per kilowatt hour.

If he can get his employment offer in writing, it might be helpful. Sometimes folks interview for a job and then when they arrive it's a bit different than they thought.

You can also check Craig's List to see what housing might be going for in the area of your husband's employment. However, there are a lot of scams on Craig's List, so sift through them carefully and just use it to get a rough idea of things but not to actually rent anything until you've had a chance to see it.

I just did a quick check of Honolulu's Craig's List and most of the rentals were above the number you have available nor did many of them show pictures. There were lots of condominiums but they aren't likely to allow two dogs nor be that big for three kids that will be home all day. It won't be easy to find housing, but perhaps it won't be Oahu.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 11,151 times
"Perhaps starting a new thread might get more answers for you."

Thanks...When I know more details I will start a new thread. I will have more information and be able to ask more specific questions.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:50 PM

7,745 posts, read 12,688,118 times
You'll get a job if you have faith you will. But as for this particular situation, I wouldn't do Hawaii just yet. For the simple fact that you should visit first before you pack up and move. I would go to California first. Somewhere like San Diego. And then once you get a life and establish yourself and have visited Hawaii once or twice, then you can make the move and start over again having become familiar with the surroundings and prices and lifestyle.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:05 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,170,679 times
Well, faith is all and good, but not all jobs translate to Hawaii. If you are a tool and die maker, you'll not find a job in Hawaii as a tool and die maker in Hawaii no matter how much faith you have.

However, with faith (or without it for that matter) you may find "a" job, but will it pay all the bills? More than likely not, unless you have a secondary skill that would command more than a "do you want fries with that?" job. Which is why many many folks in Hawaii live in extended households, don't go on many vacations and live pretty frugally.

But hey, have faith and hope and all good things. At least you'll feel more comfortable. Having a degree, skill set or experience in some sort of field that has matching jobs in Hawaii might be more useful, though.

Sorry for being snarky, but that just seemed to be something deserving of snark. Maybe I interpret the word "faith" differently than many folks or something.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:49 PM

My husband would have a job and his company is paying relocation.
I am concerned about finding a decent house for 5 people and two dogs and not going broke after we get there.
I hope to have more info soon.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 PM

allenk893, The promotion is for Hawaii, so moving to California is not an option. He either gets the promotion and we move to HI or he stays in his current position.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii