Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 AM

84 posts, read 407,032 times

Advertisements

If anyone knows any advice on the following matter, your input could substantially help my wife and I in our goal to get to Hawai'i

We live in southern CA....have a nice little house....but we are now in a position where we owe more than its worth. Renters have moved into our community, and they haven't been of the best quality. Nobody wants to buy in our area....the neighborhood has begun to decline. To "ride it out" in our case could be 5 years.

So my question is:

We don't have to foreclose....we can make the payments - but CAN we foreclose in a year if we want to get to Hawaii? Would the lender seek a deficiency judgment against us? Follow us to Hawaii, try to seize assets or garnish our wages??

Can we walk away? Or are we stuck in Hell, 5 years away from our dream?

MAHALO if anyone can shed some light....

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 AM

930 posts, read 2,423,693 times
Wow. Wouldn't you kinda be moving to Hawaii without a pot to pixx in? I guess as long as them nice folks in Hawaii keep paying their taxes and don't mind supporting you, you are golden.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:06 AM

Whooaa.....nobody will be supporting me. We'll have jobs, pay our own taxes, contribute to the community. I'm talking about walking away from my house.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:45 AM

12 posts, read 30,596 times
Why don't you try doing a short sale? That way you can avoid foreclosure because if anything that will haunt your credit for years (you won't be able to buy a house, a car, maybe even become unable to qualify for a place to rent)!!
If I were you I would talk to a few Real Estate Agents for advise and about what your options might be besides foreclosure.
Blessings.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:54 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,731 times
There's a lot of discussion on similar topics over in the "real estate" forum on City-Data. Check it out there. Lots of professionals, and others, have weighed in on this issue.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the responses....yes I know its a major deal, and I definitley need to do my research. I'll check out the real estate forum....maybe Hawai'i will have to wait a few years Just sad though, because I'm one of those people who believes you only live once, every moment is precious, and delaying your dreams is pointless...

Old 06-19-2008, 06:19 PM

20 posts, read 96,240 times
You might should have delayed your dreams of homeownership when you decided to buy this house.

I suggest you keep you house for a while until you can break even. It's the responsible thing to do. Foreclosure will kill your credit and stick the bank with the losses.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:47 PM

Yeah, you know....I was just frustrated....feeling trapped.

You guys are all right - foreclosure is bad for me, bad for neighbors, bad for the lender, bad for economy, bad for everyone....

I'll man up and keep the house, but might just rent it out anyway....we'll see.

Either way, mahalo for the responses

Old 07-23-2008, 08:12 PM

18 posts, read 82,207 times
post your situation over at thecreativeinvestor.com they are always looking for a deal. but I will say that for being upside down.... foreclosure is not the only answer.

can it leasehold to pay the mortgage? Many will pay more if you offer a minuscule down payment.

contact the company's loss mitigation

short sale

subject to existing financing and you take out a second.

foreclosure is not a good thing and you have an obligation.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:20 AM

190 posts, read 849,039 times
Dan, the law varies from state to state. Some states allow the bank to get a deficiency judgement. Others say that whatever comes from the foreclosure is considered payment in full to the bank. I'm not sure what California's law is but I believe it goes with the latter. Check to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii