Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 AM

406 posts, read 866,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Just read an article last week about the construction industry being down by 50% overall statewide. They also mentioned it was down by about 70% on the Hilo side of the Island of Hawaii and down by about 90% on the Kona side of the island. Not encouraging numbers for any new jobs in the construction industry, especially on the Big Island. Installing solar water heating systems or photovoltaic electric systems requires a license.

Perhaps instead of looking for a job provided by someone else, can you make a job for yourself? Make something to sell or provide a service?
I agree wholeheartedly! Here's a post I made a while back:
Quote:
If you can't find a job, create one. Yeah, I know it's hard to get started and will cost you a bit to start but if you have a hobby it can be the start of a good income maker.

Like to carve wood? Make walking sticks and canes. Build inexpensive musical instruments - cigar box ukuleles and guitars. Make glass beads. Make jewelry. As you can see, I've put a bit of thought into "supplemental income producers".

At 73 years old, I'm "over qualified" for most jobs in my field - electronics, computer maintenance. I do feel I can do other things to help keep beans on the table along with my retirement income. I feel that also keeps my brain from withering away.

Several years ago I took a class in glassblowing and I am planning on making glass "things" to sell. I love working hot glass. And there are some great glassblowers in Hawaii.

I also like working with wood. I've made walking sticks, I've made a guitar, I am about to make a cigar box guitar and a wine box bass.

Don't think these can make money? Google cigar box guitars and see what they can sell for. Check out Kona Walking Bass - they ain't cheap, but they are built in Hawaii. Check out pan-flutes - there is a very good pan-flute maker in Hawaii. Check out Native American flutes. I have one that is made of bamboo.

What I am getting at is quite a few of these things can be made with very limited tools, sometimes using found materials and can bring in money, or as was done by the hobos during the depression, traded for food.

Just tryin' to make y'all think a bit.

Mickey
Mickey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:08 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman_Cometh View Post
Whats the outlook for welders and fabricators? What about hair stylists?
Self employed welders and fabricators - as well as self employed hair stylists can find work. However, you need to keep your overhead low enough to where you can afford to pay for everything by self employment. It's a whole balancing act which is a bit harder here due to the higher overhead costs. Supplementing the self employment with any part time job or by doing some sort of work to offset housing costs (i.e. yard work to live for less in the ohana cottage should you be able to find one) makes the whole thing feasible. However, you pretty much have to be on island and get to know folks before these sorts of places become available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: