Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM

543 posts, read 3,078,548 times

Advertisements

Would you say that this job (fire sprinkler installer) is a job that one could get in Hawaii? https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...an-salary.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 12:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
Would you say that this job (fire sprinkler installer) is a job that one could get in Hawaii? https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...an-salary.html
I don't see the demand. Except for new commercial installation there's not much market for sprinklers, and there's precious little commercial construction happening at the moment.

Off the top of my head, the only construction trade I see with better-than-average growth potential is solar system installation.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
This implies there are a lot of nursing jobs...I don't think there are that many of them either, is there?

Old 07-17-2011, 01:57 PM

543 posts, read 3,078,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I don't see the demand. Except for new commercial installation there's not much market for sprinklers, and there's precious little commercial construction happening at the moment.

Off the top of my head, the only construction trade I see with better-than-average growth potential is solar system installation.
How do you get into solar system installation?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:10 AM

229 posts, read 929,556 times
Solar Training, Solar Installer Training, Renewable Energy Education - Solar Energy International

Old 09-24-2011, 02:22 PM

35 posts, read 63,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
How do you get into solar system installation?
First you get yourself a star and some planets, then a big enough empty expanse of space to put them in.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:42 PM

52 posts, read 159,470 times
Fire sprinkler installation is probably covered during the initial build of a home. There is a pretty big list of contractors who do solar heating installation: Hawaii Energy, Conservation and Efficiency Program | Solar Water Heating Contractors

So...my honest answer is no. Both jobs would be tough for you to get into.

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:16 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Just read an article last week about the construction industry being down by 50% overall statewide. They also mentioned it was down by about 70% on the Hilo side of the Island of Hawaii and down by about 90% on the Kona side of the island. Not encouraging numbers for any new jobs in the construction industry, especially on the Big Island. Installing solar water heating systems or photovoltaic electric systems requires a license.

Perhaps instead of looking for a job provided by someone else, can you make a job for yourself? Make something to sell or provide a service?

Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,869 times
Nursing ... in the house there is a bill that if passed will allow even more foreign nurses to obtain visas easier (as if it wasn't easy already) and come to rescue all of us here in America since there is this huge pretend nursing shortage. HB 1929 is going to flood an already desperate market of unemployed American nurse with more foreign nurses. The bill targets the nurses in the Philippines specifically and to make it so they can come into the country with relative ease. It's even suggested that the Filipino nurses have more compassion then the American nurses according to quoted sources backing the bill.

This so called nursing shortage has been in existence ever since I graduated hmp, hmp years ago. Every 5 to 10 years the political forces put a new spin on it and now we're all waiting for the baby boomer's to drop dead. No wait; not drop dead but get sich so there will be lots of jobs ... don't hold your breath. The nursing market is saturated beyond repair. With the advent of on line schools along with community colleges and universities spitting out legions of new nursing grads each year it doesn't appear to be hopeful. Couple that with the new roles of medical assistants who now are trained and allowed to do what licensed nurses use to do. Now put in a few thousand foreign nurses here and there and does anyone want to make a big fat guess as to what happens.

This is an FYI for all the nurses and interested parties of nursing.Block HB 1929

Old 09-27-2011, 07:08 AM

163 posts, read 450,182 times
Whats the outlook for welders and fabricators? What about hair stylists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: