Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 6,324 times

Advertisements

I just received a letter in the mail today from the Hawaii Dept of Ed. I have been a teacher for 15 years and am on the scale of a Master's plus 30 in my state. A few months back I sent my application in as I was possibly interested in teacher on one of the islands. I just got letter back saying that they are reinstating the recruiting process on the mainlands but the catch is.....

All teachers hired will start at as a year 1 teacher on the salary scale regardless of how many years experience you already have.

All teachers will start at a bachelor degree level (lowest) regardless of how much more education you actually have (unless it's a PhD).

And you wonder why the state is at or near the bottom in education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM

150 posts, read 416,202 times
don't get me started on the current doe...

How 'bout you bring all of your degrees and experience and teach at a a private?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,606,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsfan99 View Post
I just received a letter in the mail today from the Hawaii Dept of Ed. I have been a teacher for 15 years and am on the scale of a Master's plus 30 in my state. A few months back I sent my application in as I was possibly interested in teacher on one of the islands. I just got letter back saying that they are reinstating the recruiting process on the mainlands but the catch is.....

All teachers hired will start at as a year 1 teacher on the salary scale regardless of how many years experience you already have.

All teachers will start at a bachelor degree level (lowest) regardless of how much more education you actually have (unless it's a PhD).

And you wonder why the state is at or near the bottom in education?
Aren't you getting overqualified teachers at a bargain rate? Doesn't that experience equate a better teacher?

Doesn't that benefit the keiki?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,532,235 times
If they didn't make you start at the bottom level, every teacher on the mainland who was near retirement would come out here. What they are really doing is making it easier for those new teachers coming out of UH to get jobs.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:08 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,042,009 times
One word: Union!

Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,090,289 times
At least you got a letter back, some folks don't even rate that much. When it comes time for actually getting hired, from what I've heard many of the ones who actually get jobs had to sort of nag the DOE until they got hired. That's just what I've heard, though.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:17 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,457,701 times
I wonder if the DOE will improve with the board appointed by the governor instead of elected.

Local politics seems to be based on family ties in Hawaii, not performance, so it seems like a good start.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:23 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,532,235 times
There are more administrator positions now than there was just a few years ago even though the amount of students enrolled has gone down. The declining enrollment in the public schools is due to private and charter schools, whose enrollment has risen.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 6,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
If they didn't make you start at the bottom level, every teacher on the mainland who was near retirement would come out here. What they are really doing is making it easier for those new teachers coming out of UH to get jobs.

Umm no? You are correct about teachers moving close to retirement but ANY county let alone state that has any clue has a cap on years that could be transferred in whether it be 7, 10, 15....NOT 1!

Old 02-17-2011, 05:17 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,042,009 times
The governor will appoint board member as the terms of the current members expire; it will be 4-5 years before the terms of some members expire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: