Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times

Advertisements

Hawaii, the nation's most ethnically diverse state, has seen a big increase in residents identifying themselves as being of mixed race, according to Census data released Thursday.

Among adults 18 and older, those saying they are of two or more races rose 31% from 2000 to 2010. They make up 18.5% of the state's adult population.
Among all ages, the increase of those citing two or more races was 23.6%. Overall, almost one in four Hawaii residents are of mixed race.

More Hawaii residents identify as mixed race - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
You have posted racial census data on several Forums, different areas /states ... without explanation of any point you are trying to make ... as I have asked about such a post on the Washington Forum, I ask the same about this, your post in the Hawaii Forum:
Yes, homosapiens come in many different colors, shapes and sizes ... and they move around a lot ... what's your point?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:21 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You have posted racial census data on several Forums, different areas /states ... without explanation of any point you are trying to make ... as I have asked about such a post on the Washington Forum, I ask the same about this, your post in the Hawaii Forum:
Yes, homosapiens come in many different colors, shapes and sizes ... and they move around a lot ... what's your point?
I don't care, no offense.You're angry ? You should lodge a complaint againt the US Census Bureau, it's from them after all

Old 02-26-2011, 11:38 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Among adults 18 and older, those saying they are of two or more races rose 31% from 2000 to 2010.
This is the same increase seen across the country as a whole, as I posted last week. I look forward to a time when everybody wakes up to the fact that there is only 1 race, the human race, and that superficial qualities like skin color do not define people.

We are ALL mixed.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
I don't care, no offense.You're angry ? You should lodge a complaint againt the US Census Bureau, it's from them after all
No, not angry ... not attacking ... asking.
What is your reason for posting the data?

In Washington State, for instance, the data you presented demonstrated an increase in Hispanic and decrease in Caucasian, among other things ... this sort of racial statement is often fuel for racist agenda-making.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:44 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
This is the same increase seen across the country as a whole, as I posted last week. I look forward to a time when everybody wakes up to the fact that there is only 1 race, the human race, and that superficial qualities like skin color do not define people.

We are ALL mixed.
Until recently in human history, the human races were relatively isolated into populations. That's why people from those regions look alike today and are identifiable as belonging to certain races-- because they're more closely related to people from the same race. Those of us who are heavily mixed are still the minority.

BTW, maybe more people identify as mixed because we have a mixed president.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
We're taking over, but if you're nice to me I'll make sure you're treated well when we enslave you non-mixed and make you work on mixed crop plantations.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I'm amazed that only one in four Hawaii residents are of mixed race. I would have thought it was much more. I read somewhere that most young Hawaii natives of Japanese descent are "marrying out". That's a lot.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I'm amazed that only one in four Hawaii residents are of mixed race. I would have thought it was much more. I read somewhere that most young Hawaii natives of Japanese descent are "marrying out". That's a lot.
The "mixed" population is probably higher, but some folks are content with choosing just one "race/ethnicity" on the census form.
Obama Census Choice: African-American

For Hawai'i, the situation is a little more interesting, since there are some political, social, and economic benefits to having a Native Hawaiian ancestor (or two) in the family tree. There are many folks in the Hawaiian community who believe in the "one-drop rule" and use that smidgen of Hawaiian ancestry as the basis for forming a uniquely "Hawaiian" identity, despite the fact that most of their ancestors were Chinese, Japanese, English, Irish, Scottish, German, Portuguese, Korean, Pilipino, Puerto Rican, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii