Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 12:10 AM

7 posts, read 7,591 times

Advertisements

I'm flying out to Hawaii to look for some places I might move but trying to figure out in advance what cities are feasible for me. I need a place where there are a local colleges that teach web design/programming. Am I stuck with Honolulu?

Much thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,140,564 times
Hilo has a pretty extensive university presence these days, although I don't know specifically what they teach. Couldn't your employees tele-commute?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 AM

941 posts, read 1,974,756 times
For sure Honolulu has the biggest employment pool for web design/programmers--did you know that the LOLcats (Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger? network) got started there?

But that also means you'll have the most competition for employees there--though I'm not sure in this economy.

However, all the neighbor islands have their share of independent and telecommuting techies, and you might just be able to entice them. You might put out an exploratory ad on craigslist for each island to see what you get.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 AM

7 posts, read 7,591 times
Thanks guys, great idea on the exploratory ad. I'll do that!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:43 PM

227 posts, read 921,771 times
You should live where ever you want and outsource your coding to India or SEA. The rates and quality of work you will get will be far superior to any college kids efforts.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,549,080 times
You did not mention where your client base is/will be. If you are looking for local business, I think you'll find there is already a lot of competition. Oahu will give you proximity to more businesses, but also to more competition and higher costs. The Big Island will give you lower costs, but not as many local businesses.

In my experience, there are plenty of qualified people looking for work on all the islands. And not just college kids... experienced IT folk who came to Hawai'i hoping to scare up some work, and who are now flipping burgers.

Good luck

Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,140,564 times
Bresdo, don't you think there are enough jobs outsourced already? If someone wants to hire folks around here, for heaven's sake don't try to talk them out of it. Jobs outsourced are one of the major reasons we, as a country, are sucking wind right now.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:06 PM

227 posts, read 921,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Bresdo, don't you think there are enough jobs outsourced already? If someone wants to hire folks around here, for heaven's sake don't try to talk them out of it. Jobs outsourced are one of the major reasons we, as a country, are sucking wind right now.
I am in the web business and would love to keep working with US people but the bottom line is they are over priced and slow. I gave a project to one of our local coders for something fairly simple and it has now been more then a year and still it is not completed. Bottom line is places like India are cheaper, faster, better and only a fraction of what a American can do coding.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,810,080 times
And of course that's all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: