Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:45 AM

20 posts, read 55,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresdo View Post
Thats nice so you want us to do all the research for you when most of us have contributed already to the sticky section. You should stay in Maine you will never get the aloha spirit.
Ugh...I don't know why you guys think I want you to do all my work...all I'm asking for is opinions...experiences...it was a little sarcasm...I was playing along!!!!! Joke's over now! As I said I will search the forum. Thank you for your $0.02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Aloha Everyone,

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Hawaii.........Gotcha! lol. I bet that scared ya!

I once spent 10 days on Molokai. When we drove out of the very tiny airport, there was a sign that said "Slow Down, You in Molokai Now". They wern't lying. That sign applies to all the islands, thats the way it is. I wish everyone all the best if and when they ever make the move to Hawaii. It's a magical place that seems to never leave my mind .
Thank you for sharing that experience. I appreciate it. Glad it wasn't too much work for you (as it is for some ;-) ) lol. I hope to visit the islands.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:06 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
YOU'LL NEVER GET THE ALOHA SPIRIT!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!! YOU HEAR ME!!!!!! (if i could make all that flourescent lime green I would). If you noticed, most of the folks who come off like that are from the Bigger Island, the friggin volcano has them all out of whack, although I don't think it takes much... However, here on Maui we tend to be a little saner, even with the cannibal pilikia.........

A hui hou.........,,, uuuurrrrpppp.....

Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
YOU'LL NEVER GET THE ALOHA SPIRIT!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!! YOU HEAR ME!!!!!! (if i could make all that flourescent lime green I would). If you noticed, most of the folks who come off like that are from the Bigger Island, the friggin volcano has them all out of whack, although I don't think it takes much... However, here on Maui we tend to be a little saner, even with the cannibal pilikia.........

A hui hou.........,,, uuuurrrrpppp.....
Ha! Exactly...I will never be like "them" and they will make sure I hear it. I am starting to think it's the attitudes that scare people away...I don't think "they" want people from "away" there...I know xenophobia when I see it...Mainers have it too...I just happen to be a little more diverse because of my experiences. Seems to me like there are "others" who need to lighten up...I appreciate your impersonation ;-)

Old 03-13-2011, 11:17 AM

12 posts, read 25,610 times
Aloha Sheila! I am a fellow Mainer and would love to chat about your interest in moving to Hawaii. My husband may be having a job transfer to Oahu so I have been reading lots of posts on the message boards. I am a dental hygienist so would have to get my license for HI and then get a job- he would already have his job in place. Let's chat!! Message me... thanks!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheillala2008 View Post
<snip>
1.) I am a single mother of 3 kids, but I will also be an RN and hope to have a couple years' experience under my belt before my move. Does anyone know what the need for nurses is there?
There are only several hospitals per island, you could check the ones you are interested in after you decide which island you'd prefer.

Quote:
2.) Schools-I've heard a lot of complaints about the schools there. Could someone help me put into perspective what the schools are like? Please feel free to include your own children's experiences or experiences of friends'/relatives' children.
It all depends on the school and the parents of the children. If you fill in with tutoring on subjects which aren't adequately covered in school and use the school to teach social interaction, then they will get a good education. Some schools are pretty good, although not many of them. The best ones are private schools which cost $$$$.

Quote:
3.) What is there for kids to be involved in?
Drugs? Unless you distract them with swimming, surfing, soccer, football, etc. It also depends on what area you are living in.

Quote:
4.) What areas are most prevalent for drugs and crime? (Not because I want them lol...because I want to try to avoid moving to such areas)
Living on an island, most folks don't want to say bad things about other folks or even other areas of the island. Some ethnic groups will tell you what they think you want to hear instead of the truth if they think you won't be pleased to hear truth. So, if you would ask your question of which areas are good instead of which areas are bad, you will probably get a much better response. Also be sensitive to the fact that most folks don't want to say bad things about other folks, so if you get a less than glowing report assume it to be a little worse than it is. Kinda like the guys who recommend stocks, they always tell you to "hold" and never ever tell you to "sell".

Quote:
5.) I've heard there are some parts that are racist or xenophobic (in that they don't like the mainlanders and feel threatened that it will contribute to taking away from their culture or that we are trying to "steal their land away." Will my kids and me be accepted by the locals? Is there really a big problem with racism? My kids are bi-racial (half black/half white) and I am white. I love flip-flops, btw :-)
Hmm, we are back to having to say bad things about people again. Frequently, folks are prejudiced against mainlanders until they've lived here long enough to fit in. They aren't too fussy about genetic background, more like where they are from is the discriminatory factor. I would think folks from Maine wouldn't have too many preconceived notions of what they are like to overcome, but there is the whole East Coast humor which doesn't quite translate into local parlance.

Quote:
6.) How much does it cost to buy groceries for a family of four per month, on average?
Can't say, Hawaii doesn't do averages well. It also depends on which island and what sort of groceries you buy. If you live like a local then it won't cost all that much, but you need neighbors to share things with and some fruit trees to give you something to share. Hawaii does a lot of sharing, but you have to reciprocate or nobody will bring you anything anymore. Many mainland folks don't seem to figure that part out.

If you eat nothing but the same things you do on the mainland, then it can be astronomical. Basic corn flakes can run $4 a box, milk goes anywhere from $4 to $8 a gallon, depending on where you get it. Eggs are about $2.50 a dozen, basic white bread is about $2.50 - $3 a loaf. Cheap spaghetti sauce on sale runs $1 for the larger size can. It's generally about $1.75 otherwise.

Quote:
7.) Do you think the islands are a good place to raise children?
Yes and no. If you have family here or get adopted into a local family here, then it's a good place. If you don't have family, then it can be difficult. You'll be moving thousands of miles away from your support structure, won't you? Who does baby sitting now? Here there's generally an auntie or tutu somewhere but if you have to pay for childcare that can make the whole thing not work.

Can you pay 15% more for everything while earning 15% less and paying twice as much for housing? Most households have two wage earners in them, sometimes even more. Frequently, those wage earners will have two jobs, too. We have multi-generational houses around here because of the cost of living, not because everyone likes living together in the same house.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM

"So, if you would ask your question of which areas are good instead of which areas are bad, you will probably get a much better response. Also be sensitive to the fact that most folks don't want to say bad things about other folks, so if you get a less than glowing report assume it to be a little worse than it is."

Yeah, in hindsight I suppose that does make more sense. :-) I suppose when I was writing, I was writing from an area of concern versus focusing on where the good areas would be. I do realize how that may have come across as offensive and I apologize to you or anyone who may have taken offense.

"Frequently, folks are prejudiced against mainlanders until they've lived here long enough to fit in. They aren't too fussy about genetic background, more like where they are from is the discriminatory factor. I would think folks from Maine wouldn't have too many preconceived notions of what they are like to overcome, but there is the whole East Coast humor which doesn't quite translate into local parlance."

Thanks for elaborating a bit on that concern as well. I'm not sure it's East Coast humor or just me repeatedly shoving my foot in my mouth...tastes good lol <a little more humor>

"If you eat nothing but the same things you do on the mainland, then it can be astronomical. Basic corn flakes can run $4 a box, milk goes anywhere from $4 to $8 a gallon, depending on where you get it. Eggs are about $2.50 a dozen, basic white bread is about $2.50 - $3 a loaf. Cheap spaghetti sauce on sale runs $1 for the larger size can. It's generally about $1.75 otherwise."

Sounds about like here...Milk is about $4.00 and gas was $3.56 today...cheap bread is about $2.00 and the better bread about $3-$5. My current food bill for me and 3 kids is about $650/month...not counting pizza and McDonald's (which I am about to completely do away with).

"You'll be moving thousands of miles away from your support structure, won't you? Who does baby sitting now?"

Childcare is always something I have to consider. I depend mostly on myself and daycare providers. I usually build my own (paid) support structures. To be honest though, after giving things much thought, although the winters are much too long here, there is much I had taken for granted. I've come to realize it's time to settle and just save for occasional vacations here and there. I realize that I came back "home" for a reason and I just need to get stable. I've also come to realize how far Hawaii really is lol.

"Can you pay 15% more for everything while earning 15% less and paying twice as much for housing?"

I think if I were to land a job at Queens Hospital I would be ok, working as an RN, but, like I said, I think I put myself back in check. Maine and I were just going through a bit of an itch, that's all lol.

And I apologize, I don't really know how to do the quote thing that well (at least not for multiples)...but thank you so much for taking your time to help me put things into perspective.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angNdonME09 View Post
Aloha Sheila! I am a fellow Mainer and would love to chat about your interest in moving to Hawaii. My husband may be having a job transfer to Oahu so I have been reading lots of posts on the message boards. I am a dental hygienist so would have to get my license for HI and then get a job- he would already have his job in place. Let's chat!! Message me... thanks!
Hi, I added you! Thanks for responding. I will try and message you, providing I can figure it out ;-)

Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 PM

15 posts, read 13,067 times
Good luck for u!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 PM

896 posts, read 1,476,319 times
Quote:
I know there may be threads out there already similar to mine, but I want my own and I'm too lazy to search at the moment
Yeah that "lazy" thing isn't going to work out too well for you in Hawaii. We are already up to our eyeballs in lazy. Someone needs to freeze their axx off, and I'm gonna vote you. No offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii