Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:53 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Why would the Americans be rebooking to Mexico and the Carribean? Unless, they were booked at the damaged hotels, then they'd have to find a new hotel.
Because of the radiation scare.

I agree that Hawai'i is too dependent on tourism for economic health, but then again, tourism was built up as an industry to reduce Hawai'i's dependence on agriculture.

I can envision a future in which Hawai'i becomes a a technology resource center for environmental and sustainability issues, including solar energy and other alternative energy sources such as biomass generation; rainwater catchment and treatment; composting toilets and greywater dispersal to replace septic systems; etc. But it will take investment to do that, and I don't see that capital being available short term.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-18-2011 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,170 times
Why would people be rebooking to the Caribbean or Mexico? Well, it is human nature to be afraid of the unknown and potential risks that exist with the disaster unfolding in Japan. We just don't know what is going to happen and people may not feel comfortable flying closer to the problem.

We are cancelling our 1 month vacation to Hawaii beginning at the end of this month because we are just afraid of the potential for putting our children at risk. We are so saddened by this because we love the islands so much. Maybe soon we can try again.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:06 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Radiation scare? They haven't been watching the wind patterns or they'd be flocking to Hawaii and running away from the mainland. Ha! Here's an idea: we can get Hawaii Visitors Bureau to post the wind patterns to get more tourists to show up here. The radiation (if it should appear at all) will go to the mainland first and completely miss Hawaii - at least, that's what the wind pattern shows.

Gack! Tourism was built up to reduce dependence on agriculture? But we can at least eat the pineapples! Seems to me, tourism was built up to funnel the money offshore to the mainland folks who own the hotels. It's also a lot easier to work in a hotel than out in the fields.

Well, with less tourists, I'm gonna go fence off a larger area to keep the feral pigs out of my vegetable garden and plant more vegetables. Can't think of much else productive to do.

I dunno about flying closer to the problem, Jules. That's kinda like avoiding California because of some possible problems in New York, we are about that far from Japan.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:07 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesvt123 View Post
Why would people be rebooking to the Caribbean or Mexico? Well, it is human nature to be afraid of the unknown and potential risks that exist with the disaster unfolding in Japan. We just don't know what is going to happen and people may not feel comfortable flying closer to the problem.

We are cancelling our 1 month vacation to Hawaii beginning at the end of this month because we are just afraid of the potential for putting our children at risk. We are so saddened by this because we love the islands so much. Maybe soon we can try again.
Mexico? Gee, that's a safe place.
There is no radiation danger to Hawaii. None. Hawaii is 3500 miles away.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesvt123 View Post
That there is detectable radiation thousands of miles away on the U.S. mainland does not mean there is any threat from it. Radiation can be detected at tiny, tiny levels, far below the doses that would impact health. A friend who is a nuclear engineer says that the naturally occurring radon gas found in many US mainland basements is more radioactive than the fallout currently being detected from the Japan reactors.

She also says that if a total meltdown occurred, the people in Tokyo might be at risk, but not in Hawai'i, which is 3500 miles away. IOW, it's irrational and illogical to avoid Hawai'i, because the risk is so infinitesimal.

If you haven't already pulled the trigger on your cancellation, I'd suggest you rethink doing that. Everything will be less crowded, businesses are already starting to roll out the special deals, it could be the best vacation in Hawai'i you've had yet.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:51 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Good chance they may pick up a few million tourists or well healed refugees

Old 03-18-2011, 03:28 PM

209 posts, read 721,961 times
I would gladly take your place on your 1 month Hawaii vacation. I'd rather be there than anywhere else .

Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM

53 posts, read 135,544 times
I think it's also tsunami fears. Once you've seen those videos and read all the "predictions" of future huge quakes in the region it puts you off the the beach especially one that has recently evacuated people to higher ground.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Good...maybe the coral will get a break from all of them standing on it (despite signs everywhere asking them not to).

Old 03-18-2011, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuicake View Post
I think it's also tsunami fears. Once you've seen those videos and read all the "predictions" of future huge quakes in the region it puts you off the the beach especially one that has recently evacuated people to higher ground.

Yes, you are right. Tsunami fears are real too. I appreciate everyones comments. It is helpful because we are just trying to sort through this. We do really want to take the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii