Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:21 AM

38 posts, read 48,433 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm an African-American Art major from Mississippi who wants to move to Hawaii by the time I'm 22. I plan on possibly being an art teacher or a substitute for a few years. But what I really need is some realism, advice from someone who's moved there. Maybe a few tips on socializing if need be. No, I don't think that Hawaii is this exotic, beautiful wonderland where everyone will like me and want to offer me marriage proposals on the spot. But I do want to hear from people who moved there, particularly women of color who came there for careers and eventually, a somewhat comfortable life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
the islands are like anywhere in that you will need to make a life once you get here. meet new friends, find work and a place to be. it is hard to get settled and find decent work but it is doable. maybe you could think about art sales as well as teaching? good luck

Old 05-02-2011, 01:28 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
For teaching in Hawaii, ALL the public schools in the state are run by the State Department of Education. So, you'll have the same DOE employer whether you are teaching in a very urban Honolulu school or a very rural Lanai island school. Which does make it easy to move around the state once you are in the DOE system. The DOE does have a webpage so you could look there for their hiring requirements.

If you didn't want to go the public school route, you might be able to do an after school art program which would more or less be a baby sitting service for latchkey kids, but it would get you paying students, I'd expect. I'm not sure what rules you'd need to follow to do that, probably the rules change depending on the number of students you took in. Sort of similar to a day care situation except it would be for older kids.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the islands are like anywhere in that you will need to make a life once you get here. meet new friends, find work and a place to be. it is hard to get settled and find decent work but it is doable. maybe you could think about art sales as well as teaching? good luck
Thanks. I haven't really considered going into art sales, I know I can do it digitally through certain websites, but to actually give a worked on piece of art in lieu of a print is something I haven't really considered before. ^^'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
For teaching in Hawaii, ALL the public schools in the state are run by the State Department of Education. So, you'll have the same DOE employer whether you are teaching in a very urban Honolulu school or a very rural Lanai island school. Which does make it easy to move around the state once you are in the DOE system. The DOE does have a webpage so you could look there for their hiring requirements.

If you didn't want to go the public school route, you might be able to do an after school art program which would more or less be a baby sitting service for latchkey kids, but it would get you paying students, I'd expect. I'm not sure what rules you'd need to follow to do that, probably the rules change depending on the number of students you took in. Sort of similar to a day care situation except it would be for older kids.
How desperate is the situation for teachers, especially art ones, in public schools? Is it just as bad as many Mainland schools where the art and music department(s) are often cut in favor for sports? When it comes to the after school art classes, are these often private school kids or students who are willing to take an art class? I know these are too many questions, but I take my plans seriously.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:55 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,035 times
There was an article in yesterdays newspaper about the recruiting going on for teachers. You can probably search online for it.

But it basically said there were no openings in or around Honolulu, they were all in the outlying areas or outer islands. But, apparently there are teaching jobs. If you haven't graduated yet, maybe you should switch your focus from art to something more marketable?

Old 05-02-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
There was an article in yesterdays newspaper about the recruiting going on for teachers. You can probably search online for it.

But it basically said there were no openings in or around Honolulu, they were all in the outlying areas or outer islands. But, apparently there are teaching jobs. If you haven't graduated yet, maybe you should switch your focus from art to something more marketable?
I've considered it. I'm only nineteen, which means that I'm a incoming sophomore (my summer break began last Saturday), so that means that I still have many options. I love history, particularly ancient and art history so I could possibly minor in it if I want. I could take graduate school in Hawai'i if I'd like, but I'm not sure if I could deal with the costs.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
as to art sales I was thinking more in lines of a job/work. to work in a gallery selling art. breaking into the art world here as an artist is very, very difficult.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:38 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weird Girl View Post
I've considered it. I'm only nineteen, which means that I'm a incoming sophomore (my summer break began last Saturday), so that means that I still have many options. I love history, particularly ancient and art history so I could possibly minor in it if I want. I could take graduate school in Hawai'i if I'd like, but I'm not sure if I could deal with the costs.
Comming from MS would be a huge sticker shock! I'd definately get my degree first. maybe save some $$ for a visit and see if you like it.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:32 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
I'd probably offer this advice:

1.Visit before you move, at least two islands, three our four if you can. Each island is vastly different. Moving here is a lot like moving to a different country.
2. Be prepared to wait tables and hold 2-3 PT jobs while you find something suited to your career interests.
3. Study Hawaiian art and history, like, NOW. By the time you work here, you might be able to parlay that knowledge into a decent gig.
4. It is expensive here. That said, Amazon has free shipping and there is usually a Costco to shop, so it can be done. You just have to shop specials and budget.
5. You'll know if it's a fit after you visit. Either you connect with Hawai'i, or you don't. It's a beautiful, magical place and the people are generally kind, hospitable and friendly more so than any place I have lived, including the South. Capitalization intentional.

Generally, when you travel, do you appreciate the differences from where you are from, or are you more likely to bemoan how it's not like home and you can't find/eat xxxxx? If you are the former, you may do very well in Hawai'i. The latter, well...

Old 05-02-2011, 06:37 PM

168 posts, read 726,452 times
I would highly suggest getting a minor or enough credits to be certified to teach math or science. Those are the areas most in need. I am currently at UH getting my education degree. The DOE will almost always hire locals before hiring mainlanders or fresh transplants. (Many businesses follow that same practice though.) Hawaii is an entirely different world so many people move out here & can't deal & leave. People who have lived here for a while are FAR more likely to stay here. If you are going to teach art be prepared to work an hourly wage job (most likely 2 jobs) to survive for possibly a year.

I moved out here last June & am 23 now. As far as socializing, there are TONS of things to do if you like to go out & are a friendly person. I had no problem making friends & even finding roommates within a month. I would suggest to just be respectful when you first get here, you are the newbie & the low man on the totem pole in EVERY situation as a new transplant. Also, keep in mind that EVERYONE knows EVERYONE on this island so be careful what you say to who. It is extremely easy to burn bridges here.

I love it here & love the people here. I have had very little problems since I moved here but much of that is thanks to my friends who have really made me part of their families. I had a business degree when I arrived & (amazingly) was able to find a job in about a week. I am now at UH to get a few more credits & then get my teaching certificate. I have had a fantastic experience but there are plenty of bad experiences on this forum too.

My big suggestions would be
a. save more money then you think you will need, it goes fast here
b. you've gota stay flexible with everything in life over here
c. research your move. research every aspect of life.

I am proof it can be done & can work out wonderfully but everyone is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: