Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:15 PM

37 posts, read 61,232 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I a very new to this forum and delighted to have found it.

My husband and I have four children, oldest is away as a freshman in college, twin high schoolers and one in elementary. He is in the hospitality industry and has been for 25 years in management. We live in Washington state but have lived in a couple of different states. I work from home. Husband is not thrilled with his job currently, lower paying than we've ever been used to but there is a long story behind why he took it. We like where we live...kids are doing well and the weather (except for the blizzard happening right now) is something we deal with well, not minding the rain but wishful for more outdoor time.

We have decided we want to move to Hawaii, permanently. I know, I know, probably many people say that but really, we do. Husband lived in Florida for a long time and has always wanted to teach the kids life around water. We live near the ocean but it is too cold even in the summer, rocky beaches, ect. We both want to scuba, and snorkel, and fish, and hike. Currently we live in a pretty small town, and going 30 minutes "into town" for groceries is something I only do a few times a month. We are perfectly happy in our little bubble, and don't care for city living (done it), so I don't think island fever will be a factor...we like to stay close to home unless on vacation. We want to live in a small-ish town with a lot of beauty. We are all extremely friendly, aware of others and respectful...the kids have always been taught to think of how their actions affect others. All 4 of the kids (and oldest would certainly transfer to a college in Hawaii, doesn't have to be the same island we settle on) are friendly, happy (well, the 15 year old girl is...well...a 15 year old girl), and nice, and they love adventure. All athletic. I know the schools are purported to be inferior...we can supplement their education. We have not exactly told them of this decision (we did tell the oldest), but have asked how they feel about moving and where they would want to move...all of them are up for a life change.

I've been studying everything I can find...checked out library books and DVDs...we've watched all the house Hawaii shows (Buying Hawaii freaks us out but that is another story)...started a blog (yeah, I'm a dork)...researched the process of moving a cat...knowledge is power, I know.

We've been to Oahu and Molokai. Where we move will most certainly depend on a job for my husband, and he has tackled every resort you can find on Trip Advisor on a couple of the islands so far.

We have no family anywhere near us so that isn't a factor.

This is our tentative plan, comments are welcome:

+Husband will go first when he gets a job, I'll have to stay and deal with the cat and the belongings and such
+we'll stay in a temporary condo or similar for several months while we look for a more permanent
+We have decided that even if his potential job pays for relocation, we will not bring much...we will store our meaningful items and sell or donate everything else. If they don't pay for relocation, even more of a reason for a storage unit. Our thought process for storing is that a plane ticket is only $270-400 so one of us can fly over to facilitate the permanent transfer once we find the spot we'll be in for a couple of years at least
+We would be bringing just clothes, kitchen stuff, some toys for the youngest. Very little really. I've done some research on transporting, but I haven't really discovered the best way to get that stuff over..any input on sending what would amount to the back of an SUV full of stuff would be very welcome.
+we won't bring the cars, they aren't new enough
+we rent here, and will rent there
+we don't have any significant debt

We want to simplify, spend more family time, and enjoy life a little more. We don't expect a vacation everyday, we know it will be real life too. We are used to budgeting, things have been extra tight for a while so the kids won't have to get used to tightened purse strings. Our timeline depends on the job situation...once he gets one, the rest of us will probably follow permanently 6 months later, because of the super friendly (NOT) pet transfer requirements (I know...rabies free and all that, I get it). That would also give the kids time to prepare.

We have been leaning towards the Big Island for several reasons, but are open to whatever comes his way on Maui, Kauai or Oahu too.

Sorry for the novel, I've seen a lot of responses warning posters of some of the things I've thoroughly considered so I thought I'd give a lot of background...comments and suggestions will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 09:04 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,715,643 times
Lucy, great post and you HAVE given this a lot of thought. Hopefully you will quit watching unrealistic TV shows like Hawaii Life and Buying Hawaii, and spend a whole lot of time reading through the many threads here. That being said, I think that those shows do help to educate people on how high the cost of housing is, particularly on Oahu.

There are some very lengthy and informative postings on what to bring (and not) and shipping your car versus buying here. Of course you'll find some very different opinions, but most of us are basing our advice on our experiences of actually moving here and living here. So while we chose to bring our vehicles with us, others chose to sell on the mainland and buy here.

One thing that you didn't address in your list is schools. I assume that you have read on here people's opinions of the status of schools in Hawaii. They are especially bad on the Big Island, where I live. Personally, I think you would be doing your 15 year old twins a huge disservice by bringing them into the school environment here, unless you homeschool. Couldn't you wait a year or two for them to finish high school where you are?

I would think that your job opportunities would be better on Maui or Oahu than the Big Island, but then you're looking at very high housing costs. I hope that you've read through the threads here on that issue.

Good luck with your research.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaLucy View Post
Husband lived in Florida for a long time and has always wanted to teach the kids life around water.
Move to Florida - your story sounds like a complete train wreck and reads like a recipe for disaster. This is one of those, what are you thinking situations. I don't see anything in your story that remotely sounds like you will be successful.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:26 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,826,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaLucy View Post
...things have been extra tight for a while so the kids won't have to get used to tightened purse strings.

If things have been "extra tight" on the mainland, why do you think you will be able to survive in Hawaii?

Old 02-24-2014, 12:23 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Basically, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head with "Where we move will most certainly depend on a job for my husband". After you know that, then all the rest of the details will fill in around it.

If the twins are going to graduate high school in a year or two, then staying for their senior year makes sense. If they are going to a school they've gone to their entire life and they are getting along well at school, perhaps letting them finish high school might be best unless they are really looking forward to moving.

All the towns on the Big Island would probably fit the category of "small-ish" towns. Hilo is the biggest, but it's still not really that big of a town. Kailua on the Kona side is spread out and sprouted a lot of big box stores lately but it's less of a town than Hilo. Has more of the resorts on that side, though, so that's a likely employment place for someone in hospitality. Unfortunately, the housing on that side of the island is way more expensive than the housing on the Hilo side of the island and the commute is several hours long.

But, until a job is located, then everything is very changeable.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Lucy, great post and you HAVE given this a lot of thought. Hopefully you will quit watching unrealistic TV shows like Hawaii Life and Buying Hawaii, and spend a whole lot of time reading through the many threads here. That being said, I think that those shows do help to educate people on how high the cost of housing is, particularly on Oahu.

There are some very lengthy and informative postings on what to bring (and not) and shipping your car versus buying here. Of course you'll find some very different opinions, but most of us are basing our advice on our experiences of actually moving here and living here. So while we chose to bring our vehicles with us, others chose to sell on the mainland and buy here.

One thing that you didn't address in your list is schools. I assume that you have read on here people's opinions of the status of schools in Hawaii. They are especially bad on the Big Island, where I live. Personally, I think you would be doing your 15 year old twins a huge disservice by bringing them into the school environment here, unless you homeschool. Couldn't you wait a year or two for them to finish high school where you are?

I would think that your job opportunities would be better on Maui or Oahu than the Big Island, but then you're looking at very high housing costs. I hope that you've read through the threads here on that issue.

Good luck with your research.
Thank you for the post! We are watching those shows for scenery Only, LOL.

As far as Schooling, we've Only been in this state for less than 3 years, they didn't grow up here, And although the district here is okay, we aren't attached emotionally, the twins are freshman, I'd rather move and get Settled before their junior year. we would not move now if graduation was in the next couple of Years. I am not qualified to home school them, but I will supplement their education with some home study- I've begun looking into that. My twins are intelligent but not consistent honor roll- B averages- We aren't counting on any scholarships for grades.

If they were Attached, it would be a different story.

Sorry for the caps I'm writing on my Note.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

If things have been "extra tight" on the mainland, why do you think you will be able to survive in Hawaii?
you are spot On in that response- I realized after I posted that would Sound stupid So I will explain.

we moved here for a job in Canada but the visa took so long we settled in Washington And he took a much lower paying job in order to rent a house and get the kids in School. No matter what, we are going to move- there isn't much tourism in this part of Washington and he needs a better job. we Will not move to Hawaii until he has A job that makes Sense, we Won't move just to be in a worse or the same position, that would be idiotic. I just Know that basics are much more expensive in Hawaii, so We'll have to be extra careful about planning for those day to day expenses.

Where I am, under Canada, gas is nearly $4 and our Closest grocery Store is so overpriced, So we have been adapting to higher prices gradually Anyway.

He has worked in resorts his whole working career, so we are hopeful that will find A decent position in Hawaii.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Move to Florida - your story sounds like a complete train wreck and reads like a recipe for disaster. This is one of those, what are you thinking situations. I don't see anything in your story that remotely sounds like you will be successful.
thanks for the positive Advice, LOL, but no thanks, I don't want to live in Florida, for many reasons. I prepared a lengthy response to you-about his industry, Our past moves, Our considerable travel but figured I'd leave the details for Someone who actually asked a question.

constructive criticism I welcome-

Old 02-24-2014, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Basically, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head with "Where we move will most certainly depend on a job for my husband". After you know that, then all the rest of the details will fill in around it.

If the twins are going to graduate high school in a year or two, then staying for their senior year makes sense. If they are going to a school they've gone to their entire life and they are getting along well at school, perhaps letting them finish high school might be best unless they are really looking forward to moving.

All the towns on the Big Island would probably fit the category of "small-ish" towns. Hilo is the biggest, but it's still not really that big of a town. Kailua on the Kona side is spread out and sprouted a lot of big box stores lately but it's less of a town than Hilo. Has more of the resorts on that side, though, so that's a likely employment place for someone in hospitality. Unfortunately, the housing on that side of the island is way more expensive than the housing on the Hilo side of the island and the commute is several hours long.

But, until a job is located, then everything is very changeable.
great comments, thank you! He has concentrated applying at all Of the resorts on the Big Island and Maui So far, although he is also working With a couple of headhunters. You confirmed basically what I Was thinking- Hilo Would probably be out- we aren't moving to enjoy life more And stick my husband With a long Commute. The job has to justify the move. My map Search told me Hilo is approximately 2 hours from the resorts, does that Sound correct?

I'm sure you will see my other response regarding schooling.

I would love to hear though about the high schools there about a few things- they have dances? Homecoming, prom? social Clubs? Football, baseball, Cheerleading, track? Volunteer work Opportunities for Kids? The availability Of some of those things have varied greatly depending on Where we have lived so I would love to hear about that Kind Of thing.

Also, are teens typically more relaxed in their possessions? Meaning, is it the same "I have the newest Iphone or $200 pair Of Uggs" Or is there less of that? mine do not have those things, even if I could afford it I wouldn't spent that freaking much On a pair of Shoes. I'm guessing it might be different depending on the Island?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:59 AM

I'd like to ask if our planned budgeting seems realistic, we want to be prepared when getting jobs communication...Please let me know if you think something is incorrect, thank you!

We need a three bedroom, not picky about the type, want to be semi close to a decent beach although proximity to the resorts is going to be more important. We would like a decent sized kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and a dining area or place in the kitchen large enough for a table for 6. A decent size lanai or more than one. Somewhat furnished. Does not have to be fancy, just decent.

The food budget I picked is about $200 more than we spend a month here and I am in a pricey area for food products. Please let me know if that is realistic...we already don't eat a lot of meat and eat kind of basic. We don't eat out except special occasions. If oldest goes to school near us and lives at home we'll increase it, I've planned it for 2 adults, 2 teens and one child.

Big Island: $1800-2200 per month for rent, $350-400 for utilities, $800 for food.

Kauai: $2000-2400 per month for rent, $350-400 for utilities, $850 for food

Maui: $2900-3200 per month for rent, $350-400 for utilities, $850 for food

Oahu: $2700-3000 per month for rent, $350-400 utilities, $800 for food

Thanks for any input!

Also, whtviper1, I have read some of your other posts and I get your purpose...kind of a "shock them into thinking deeper" goal, and I can see the success in that, so thank you. Although we plan on permanency, we also are prepared for the possibility of it not working out...I won't say that it is impossible to happen, because we don't know until we get there. Worse case scenario, we move back to the mainland...we won't be bringing our major must keeps for the first year anyway, so although it would suck, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Do I expect it to fail? No, but who knows what the future will bring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii