Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:49 PM

182 posts, read 356,491 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just me, but this whole thread seems oddly familiar:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...cate-feel.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 02:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezAloha View Post
Maybe it's just me, but this whole thread seems oddly familiar:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...cate-feel.html
I was thinking this one:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...kona-side.html

Old 02-25-2014, 02:59 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,532 times
I think kids of any age can dive, with the right teacher and training. The private school on Kaua'i has a diving club and I'm pretty sure kids under 10 participate. You can probably find something similar on any of the islands.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:24 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
Though im one of those who believe in balance, i do understand the importants of showing the reality of the costs of Hawai'i and her job market etc. Another words have your feet firmly plantted on the ground. I use the word "but" because unfortunately with anything if it goes to far then its just not helpful. Which lately in my opinion, it has gone to far. Busting dreamers to a point is ok, understandable we want to see them succeed, but you forget balance. You forget that you can be successful rich, but be so concerned about finances that you forget your in Hawai'i or you can't see or enjoy her differences and also be very unhappy like some people we know are who live here. The reason is most of the time thy lose there dreamer.

So a better message would be "have your head in the clouds but your feet firmly on the ground" Do all things in aloha and you will be ok.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:36 PM

431 posts, read 939,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjgroff1 View Post
That's just the way it is on these forums, sometimes. The deliverers of reality smacks are views as Negative Nellies and Debbie Downers..[/quote]

More like the delivery of some one attempting to keep people out of Hawai'i. I think a keen dose of manners would be in order.[/quote]

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn who comes here. Delusional newcomers arrive in droves and leave in numbers just as large, usually after blowing a consideral sum of cash. Plenty of non-delusional ones come here, too, BTW, thank goodness. Doesn't affect me in the least either way. I'm not in real estate, don't own any rentals, and none of my income or well-being depends on people moving to or leaving Hawaii. So the "someone attempting to keep people out of Hawaii" remark is pure BS.

Ridiculous.

I'll ignore the comment on "manners," LOL, except for thinking that perhaps you forgot to add "little lady" at the end of the comment along with a tip of your Stetson.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Uh, because I work in the hospitality industry and because of the nature of my job have deep relationships with upper management of many hotels - not only on Oahu but on all the islands. And none of them, I'll repeat, none of them, were direct mainland hires. They all moved up the chain spending years forming relationships - or - were transferred by a parent chain. There is a glut of resort management in Hawaii.

We also see these threads all the time - and none of them, none of them, turn out to be real. Once the 6-figure hotel management came out the game was over.

The only way to make this better - we need a first time poster to come out of the woodwork to tell us - yes! I did it! It can be done! Don't be discouraged. I just got a 6-figure hotel management job - I couldn't help but notice this thread.
Eh, not offense viper, but are you not the example? You have lived in Hawai'i a few years and are from the mainland but is an executive of a big hospitality firm?

Old 02-25-2014, 03:50 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
That's just the way it is on these forums, sometimes. The deliverers of reality smacks are views as Negative Nellies and Debbie Downers..
More like the delivery of some one attempting to keep people out of Hawai'i. I think a keen dose of manners would be in order.[/quote]

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn who comes here. Delusional newcomers arrive in droves and leave in numbers just as large, usually after blowing a consideral sum of cash. Plenty of non-delusional ones come here, too, BTW, thank goodness. Doesn't affect me in the least either way. I'm not in real estate, don't own any rentals, and none of my income or well-being depends on people moving to or leaving Hawaii. So the "someone attempting to keep people out of Hawaii" remark is pure BS.

Ridiculous.

I'll ignore the comment on "manners," LOL, except for thinking that perhaps you forgot to add "little lady" at the end of the comment along with a tip of your Stetson. [/quote]

Right on! I sure wish that I could give you more Rep Points.

LOVE your " little lady" comment.

EDIT: the quote didn't come out quite right.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:58 PM

@PaliPatty

Your quote: "We've been here fourteen years now". End quote:

So obviously just financial success doesn't equal happiness or success in Hawai'i huh auntie?

Just a perception ok?

Old 02-25-2014, 04:12 PM

431 posts, read 939,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@PaliPatty

Your quote: "We've been here fourteen years now". End quote:

So obviously just financial success doesn't equal happiness or success in Hawai'i huh auntie?
Huh?

We're financially successful and happy, LOL. No, we don't run around spinning in vortexes of plumeria petals but we have a very good life here, thanks for asking.

The fact that at this time in our lives we may be looking at other areas of the planet in which to live doesn't indicate unhappiness. It may just be an indication that we recognize that we might like to be closer to loved ones. It may just be an indication that, considering medical needs, we realize that Hawaii falls short on many of the things that we might need in the future. No need to elaborate on that but trust me, the medical care here gets worse proportionate to the complexity of the health problems. And I definitely know what I'm looking at here, up close and personal and with many decades of knowledge on which to base my opinions.

Wherever we may end up, we'll always look back on our years in Hawaii as good ones. And, btw, quite profitable. We'd be leaving with far more than we came here with, oh thank you Great Gods of Insane Hawaii Real Estate.

HBH, it's not possible for you to turn me into something I'm not just by saying so. Not sure what your intentions were by posting that crack unless you merely meant to be mildly irritating.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Eh, not offense viper, but are you not the example? You have lived in Hawai'i a few years and are from the mainland but is an executive of a big hospitality firm?
There aren't a bunch of people with airline experience walking around Honolulu - most in management need to be hired from the mainland.

There are tens of thousands of hotel employees working in Hawaii - and just about every senior position requires local knowledge especially in sales. There is no lack of executive management in this space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii