Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 PM

37 posts, read 60,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Wherever we may end up, we'll always look back on our years in Hawaii as good ones.
Good outlook, mine is the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 04:31 PM

37 posts, read 60,833 times
Quote:
No, we don't run around spinning in vortexes of plumeria petals but we have a very good life here, thanks for asking.
This image is pretty funny, can you just picture a bunch of people wearing Hawaiian shirts spinning around?

Old 02-25-2014, 04:58 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
I was out on the water this morning,, down around the Grand Wailea, ran into some paddling buddies, we all sat out there for a bit, and bitched about how shi**y it is to live on Maui, as the sun came up over Haleakala.

It sucks

Don't move here

Old 02-25-2014, 06:18 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I was out on the water this morning,, down around the Grand Wailea, ran into some paddling buddies, we all sat out there for a bit, and bitched about how shi**y it is to live on Maui, as the sun came up over Haleakala.
I'm surprised you could see the sun with all that vog. Or cane smoke. Or maybe the constant overcast skies.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:18 PM

33 posts, read 50,101 times
Quote:
That's just the way it is on these forums, sometimes. The deliverers of reality smacks are views as Negative Nellies and Debbie Downers..
More like the delivery of some one attempting to keep people out of Hawai'i. I think a keen dose of manners would be in order.[/quote]

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn who comes here. Delusional newcomers arrive in droves and leave in numbers just as large, usually after blowing a consideral sum of cash. Plenty of non-delusional ones come here, too, BTW, thank goodness. Doesn't affect me in the least either way. I'm not in real estate, don't own any rentals, and none of my income or well-being depends on people moving to or leaving Hawaii. So the "someone attempting to keep people out of Hawaii" remark is pure BS.

Well, if you, " didn't give a damn", then why be so harsh?? You seemed to get more upset with each post from that OP.

Ridiculous.

I'll ignore the comment on "manners," LOL, except for thinking that perhaps you forgot to add "little lady" at the end of the comment along with a tip of your Stetson. [/quote]

I guess you would.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:39 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
@PaliPatty

Unless I missing something, we have a very good life here is your quote? Then why are you not happy? I mean maybe im misunderstanding you and if i am forgive me. But usually people who are happy with their lives don't make it a point to crush others dreams with a passion or in your words "reality check". I mean if you don't believe me then look at the first response you gave me here on CDF Hawai'i to my first post ever, instead of hi, aloha or even empathy. It was dream on peter pan. When all i was saying was how much i missed home and i would kiss the ground when i got home, or i would be greatful to live in a tent to just experience what i experienced along time ago.

Im not opposed to reality or just telling people the truth, face it hawaii is expensive etc. Instead you come across as a person with no aloha or happiness that you live in Hawai'i. No balance.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:42 PM

431 posts, read 939,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungjohann View Post
i was out on the water this morning,, down around the grand wailea, ran into some paddling buddies, we all sat out there for a bit, and bitched about how shi**y it is to live on maui, as the sun came up over haleakala.

It sucks

Don't move here
:::smile:::

Old 02-25-2014, 06:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezAloha View Post
Maybe it's just me, but this whole thread seems oddly familiar:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...cate-feel.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I certainly hope not. Remember, this is supposed to be the forum for the Aloha State, not the A*****e State.

To me, both of those threads represent bad behavior and forum bashing at their worst, with persistent bullying and personal attacks and mean-spirited dogpiling that were successful in chasing new posters off the forum. I found them to be disgraceful.

You absolutely do not have to be rude to talk straight to someone. Matter of fact, it's quite often counter-productive to be unkind, because it so often makes the other person defensive. If you continually mock someone, they'll eventually just tune out whatever you are trying to say. Being nasty or abusive to someone because you perceive them to be naive is pure arrogance at work.

I say, let's have more Aloha here, and a lot less cynicism and snark.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:40 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
The world is a strange place and there's room for all sorts. I think forums are sort of a microcosm of the whole enchilada. (That's my deep philosophy for today, it will probably change by tomorrow along with a dose of coffee.)

Just because folks come and then leave doesn't mean they stay that way.

One of our neighbors decided to move to the mainland eight months ago to be near his grandkids. So, we sadly waved goodbye as he packed up all his stuff and shipped it to the mainland. He did drop off a load of tools, not that we really needed yet another table saw. So, that was eight months ago. He discovered that even if you are living in the same town as your grandkids you really don't see them all that often at all. You saw them more when you visit since folks make more effort if you're just there for a little while. So, last Friday he appears at our door all unexpectedly! Woot! (Now we can get that table saw out of the carport, too! Yay!) It's always good to get good people back again. However, his stuff is still enroute so he'd organized a neighborhood trip to the beach so he'd have a ride to the beach, friends to be there with and everyone could bring their beach toys to play with (and share). So, the whole neighborhood wandered off to the beach, folks swimming, lounging and kayaking. While they were out kayaking (I was in the lounging crowd) they heard whales singing to each other. Apparently, the whole kayak resonats when the whales sing close enough to you. The whole neighborhood had a great time and this sort of thing is why folks move to Hawaii.

So, the OP moves to Hawaii and drops a big chunk of change doing it. But, they have experiences like going to the beach with the neighborhood and hearing whales sing. So, isn't that sort of a decent trade off?

And does it really matter? If they are supposed to be here, it will all work out. If they aren't supposed to be here Hawaii will eat them alive. And, they will then drop off all their table saws and go back to the mainland. End result, they have memories and we have too many table saws.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:36 AM

431 posts, read 939,773 times
LOL....love the story, Hotzcatz. Really really love it.

Yep, people can dump a crapload of cash here and not have a helluva lot to show for it and I guess if it's worth it to them, it's all good. Not sure it will be all good when they are checking out the Fancy Feast sales in Walmart when they are in their seventh decade but WTH.

I always say that everything is a trade-off. Unless you have endless resources, choices must be made. Some are made to accommodate ourselves, some are made to accomodate our loved ones. Heck, some may even be made to accommodate our pets (who are, after all, our loved ones).

So much is related to life stages and what is important to an individual. Some people are selfish. They see things only in the narrow viewpoint of their own needs and wants. They might convince themselves that the rest of the group that they are dragging along with them will ultimately benefit from the move (after all, they know best....), but their interest in those who are being dragged along is superficial at best, despite their protestations to the contrary. Kids tend to nod and say yes when confronted with a strong adult presence. Yay, we love Hawaii, of COURSE we do, especially if you ask us point-blank.

People like that underestimate the trauma that kids suffer when they are torn from their friends and familiar surroundings and very possibly tossed into not-so-welcoming new surroundings. They think all will be well as long as there is sun and surf.

Whatever. Again, people come and go here. I miss so many who have left and treasure those who are here. Just got a text from a beloved co-worker, an adorable Filipina who insists on calling me "Mother." She's pregnant and needs some hugs. She will get them from me. She is planning on leaving in a year or two. I will miss her and her family, very very much. Such is life in Hawaii.

If and when we leave, we'll parcel out our plants and belongings to those with whom we've developed loving relationships and then move on to more loving relationships. It is what we do.

BTW, I totally resent those who seek to characterize the Hawaii residents here who may have opinions that don't jibe with their dreams as "bashers." They simply have no idea what living here entails and I see them as enormously presumptious to think that their sniping holds any value whatsoever.

Wow...we are waxing rather poetic here, I think. At the very least, waxing philosophical in Hawaii Nei.

Thanks for the post, Hotzcatz. Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii