Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:20 PM

431 posts, read 939,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Move to Florida - your story sounds like a complete train wreck and reads like a recipe for disaster. This is one of those, what are you thinking situations. I don't see anything in your story that remotely sounds like you will be successful.
Although I'm rarely as blunt in my actual posts as WV1 and I would never advise anyone to move to Florida , I have to admit that I was thinking something along the same lines. Sorry, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

If things have been "extra tight" on the mainland, why do you think you will be able to survive in Hawaii?
Yep, I leapt at that part of the post too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaLucy View Post
you are spot On in that response- I realized after I posted that would Sound stupid So I will explain.

we moved here for a job in Canada but the visa took so long we settled in Washington And he took a much lower paying job in order to rent a house and get the kids in School. No matter what, we are going to move- there isn't much tourism in this part of Washington and he needs a better job. we Will not move to Hawaii until he has A job that makes Sense, we Won't move just to be in a worse or the same position, that would be idiotic. I just Know that basics are much more expensive in Hawaii, so We'll have to be extra careful about planning for those day to day expenses.

Where I am, under Canada, gas is nearly $4 and our Closest grocery Store is so overpriced, So we have been adapting to higher prices gradually Anyway.

He has worked in resorts his whole working career, so we are hopeful that will find A decent position in Hawaii.
With all due respect, I don't think you've really done a wide-open-eyes review of the many posts on this forum that address the cost of living here. EVERYTHING, every damn little thing, is more expensive here than on the mainland. Oh, sure, the beaches are free. From there, it's downhill all the way. Oh, and I grow some veggies and fruit in my yard. How many lemons do you think you can use? I am lemon-sorbet'd to death here.
"Extra careful" is smart, of course, but when the deck is so stacked against a family of six with what appears to be no savings cushion to fall back on, how the heck are we who actually know better supposed to react??

Quote:
thanks for the positive Advice, LOL, but no thanks, I don't want to live in Florida, for many reasons. I prepared a lengthy response to you-about his industry, Our past moves, Our considerable travel but figured I'd leave the details for Someone who actually asked a question.

constructive criticism I welcome-
Constructive criticism does not mean merely validation of your dreams and aspirations. Sometimes it involves a whack to the back of the head. Especially when it involves four kids.

Quote:
I'd like to ask if our planned budgeting seems realistic, we want to be prepared when getting jobs communication...Please let me know if you think something is incorrect, thank you!

We need a three bedroom, not picky about the type, want to be semi close to a decent beach although proximity to the resorts is going to be more important. We would like a decent sized kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and a dining area or place in the kitchen large enough for a table for 6. A decent size lanai or more than one. Somewhat furnished. Does not have to be fancy, just decent.

The food budget I picked is about $200 more than we spend a month here and I am in a pricey area for food products. Please let me know if that is realistic...we already don't eat a lot of meat and eat kind of basic. We don't eat out except special occasions. If oldest goes to school near us and lives at home we'll increase it, I've planned it for 2 adults, 2 teens and one child.

Big Island: $1800-2200 per month for rent, $350-400 for utilities, $800 for food.

Kauai: $2000-2400 per month for rent, $350-400 for utilities, $850 for food

Maui: $2900-3200 per month for rent, $350-400 for utilities, $850 for food

Oahu: $2700-3000 per month for rent, $350-400 utilities, $800 for food

Thanks for any input!

Also, whtviper1, I have read some of your other posts and I get your purpose...kind of a "shock them into thinking deeper" goal, and I can see the success in that, so thank you. Although we plan on permanency, we also are prepared for the possibility of it not working out...I won't say that it is impossible to happen, because we don't know until we get there. Worse case scenario, we move back to the mainland...we won't be bringing our major must keeps for the first year anyway, so although it would suck, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Do I expect it to fail? No, but who knows what the future will bring.
You have a pet, no? That would be an issue with a rental. A big issue. Knocks a lot of the available rentals off the list from the get-go.
Your food bill is way off, especially with four teenagers and two adults. I know you say your food costs are high where you live now but figure double for Hawaii.
IMO you underestimated the cost of electricity, too. Take a look at this little gem of a chart and grab a tissue (btw---islands other than Oahu have higher electric costs). The PNW pales in comparison. Before we got our PV panels we topped at at $375/month---no A/C, two responsible adults who ran around turning lights off. Here ya go:

EIA - Electricity Data

You also forgot water, gas, cable, internet, phones, cost of buying and maintaining a car (high registration and insurance costs here), and the fact that just about everything here has what amounts to a sales tax tagged onto it.
Question: have you ever been here and, if you have, for how long?
Gotta go. I'm hyperventilating again.

Last edited by PaliPatty; 02-24-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 PM

37 posts, read 60,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Although I'm rarely as blunt in my actual posts as WV1 and I would never advise anyone to move to Florida , I have to admit that I was thinking something along the same lines. Sorry, but....

Yep, I leapt at that part of the post too.

With all due respect, I don't think you've really done a wide-open-eyes review of the many posts on this forum that address the cost of living here. EVERYTHING, every damn little thing, is more expensive here than on the mainland. Oh, sure, the beaches are free. From there, it's downhill all the way. Oh, and I grow some veggies and fruit in my yard. How many lemons do you think you can use? I am lemon-sorbet'd to death here.
"Extra careful" is smart, of course, but when the deck is so stacked against a family of six with what appears to be no savings cushion to fall back on, how the heck are we who actually know better supposed to react??

Constructive criticism does not mean merely validation of your dreams and aspirations. Sometimes it involves a whack to the back of the head. Especially when it involves four kids.

You have a pet, no? That would be an issue with a rental. A big issue. Knocks a lot of the available rentals off the list from the get-go.
Your food bill is way off, especially with four teenagers and two adults. I know you say your food costs are high where you live now but figure double for Hawaii.
IMO you underestimated the cost of electricity, too. Take a look at this little gem of a chart and grab a tissue (btw---islands other than Oahu have higher electric costs). The PNW pales in comparison. Before we got our PV panels we topped at at $375/month---no A/C, two responsible adults who ran around turning lights off. Here ya go:

EIA - Electricity Data

You also forgot water, gas, cable, internet, phones, cost of buying and maintaining a car (high registration and insurance costs here), and the fact that just about everything here has what amounts to a sales tax tagged onto it.
LOL at the last part.

Thank you for your comments, I was hoping for that very thing, I was having trouble with estimating electric (and when I said utilities, I was counting electric and water, so obviously that is off). I have TV/internet on my list, and our current cell bill (I have to research if our carrier will work there). I haven't forgotten the cars, I just wanted to try to get a grip on recurring monthly costs so I will know what salary range would work. I prepared a spreadsheet on recurring costs monthly and yearly, and one time costs (bringing the cat, flights, baggage fees for example), as well as estimates for the actual move that has everything on it including po box rental, storage unit, ect...but I wanted to verify my numbers and I'm glad I asked, this was a great help. Also costs for activities and school functions. I will definitely reevaluate those numbers...but does the rent guess sound about right?

How is car insurance there compared to other places? I put on the budget our current cost. No accidents or tickets for either of us, oldest doesn't drive.

I can't really look into healthcare at this point...another thing on my list...it will depend on his job, his type of jobs have always come with health options but I can't guess at the cost at this point. We are all, luckily, very healthy currently and always have been.

Yes, I have an indoor, declawed cat. I realize that will be a limitation on availability and I am assuming there will probably be a pet deposit when we find a place. Our current rental company will be glad to verify with any landlord that our cat has never caused any issues. I've studied hours already on the requirements of bringing our cat...will be a fun process.

We spend between $450-600 on food now...very frugally...for the five of us at home, but I will definitely reconsider. I use coupons and I plan carefully. I'm not sure where the oldest will live so the number may also change based on that. Would you think probably $1000 for five of us? Perhaps higher for the first few months since we'll want to check out local dining?

This is great, because real prices are what I need, some of the research I've been doing leads me to out of date posts and blogs. We will NOT move unless his salary would make sense with the expenses, we aren't even counting my salary. We will also not move without a contract (which is fairly common in his type of position anyway) and we have verified with headhunters that is pretty standard, Hawaiian employers want to know you intend to stick around because so many people leave. I'm not just going to uproot everyone and drain the bank account with the plane ticket costs, I promise.

We do have savings. We will not be moving without a cushion, the savings is important...it is why we live so tight now, because it is just smart to be prepared. We will also have the proceeds of selling our cars and furniture here which should bring about $20,000 conservatively and that is not with selling the TVs.

I hope this conveys that I have thought of more things than just what I posted...I type extremely fast and thought I was already posting too much information so that is why I didn't mention the other costs. Thank you!

Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Question: have you ever been here and, if you have, for how long?
I just saw you added this question. I've been to Oahu a few times and Molokai once, probably a combined 2 months total. We haven't just returned from vacation with a bug up...this has been a long time thought process. Years. Molokai is a bit too small, and Oahu is too busy...we'd like something in between.

We've moved cross country a couple of times...this is the most expensive place we've lived. The proximity to Vancouver makes the prices higher. I've also traveled a lot...Italy, Egypt, France, Corsica, Malta, Caribbean, Bahamas, Tunisia, Mexico...as well as many, many US States (a couple dozen to Florida, not moving there lol). I plan trips for an occupation.

We've not ever decided that we wanted to live in a place we've vacationed, even if we loved it. This is different. We've never truly enjoyed the places we've lived...hated the weather in the midwest, Vegas is Vegas, and there isn't enough tourism here to sustain a good enough quality of life, plus the ocean is kind of non usable because it is very cold, even in summer. We need to make a change regardless of where...so why not put the dream into reality. We are all adventurers, kids included, and love new places, people and cultures. Kids don't care much for new food but husband and I do.

As I wrote before...although we desire permanency, we will have the money to return if necessary.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
LOL at the last part.

Thank you for your comments, I was hoping for that very thing, I was having trouble with estimating electric (and when I said utilities, I was counting electric and water, so obviously that is off). I have TV/internet on my list, and our current cell bill (I have to research if our carrier will work there). I haven't forgotten the cars, I just wanted to try to get a grip on recurring monthly costs so I will know what salary range would work. I prepared a spreadsheet on recurring costs monthly and yearly, and one time costs (bringing the cat, flights, baggage fees for example), as well as estimates for the actual move that has everything on it including po box rental, storage unit, ect...but I wanted to verify my numbers and I'm glad I asked, this was a great help. Also costs for activities and school functions. I will definitely reevaluate those numbers...but does the rent guess sound about right?

How is car insurance there compared to other places? I put on the budget our current cost. No accidents or tickets for either of us, oldest doesn't drive.

I can't really look into healthcare at this point...another thing on my list...it will depend on his job, his type of jobs have always come with health options but I can't guess at the cost at this point. We are all, luckily, very healthy currently and always have been.

Yes, I have an indoor, declawed cat. I realize that will be a limitation on availability and I am assuming there will probably be a pet deposit when we find a place. Our current rental company will be glad to verify with any landlord that our cat has never caused any issues. I've studied hours already on the requirements of bringing our cat...will be a fun process.

We spend between $450-600 on food now...very frugally...for the five of us at home, but I will definitely reconsider. I use coupons and I plan carefully. I'm not sure where the oldest will live so the number may also change based on that. Would you think probably $1000 for five of us? Perhaps higher for the first few months since we'll want to check out local dining?

This is great, because real prices are what I need, some of the research I've been doing leads me to out of date posts and blogs. We will NOT move unless his salary would make sense with the expenses, we aren't even counting my salary. We will also not move without a contract (which is fairly common in his type of position anyway) and we have verified with headhunters that is pretty standard, Hawaiian employers want to know you intend to stick around because so many people leave. I'm not just going to uproot everyone and drain the bank account with the plane ticket costs, I promise.

We do have savings. We will not be moving without a cushion, the savings is important...it is why we live so tight now, because it is just smart to be prepared. We will also have the proceeds of selling our cars and furniture here which should bring about $20,000 conservatively and that is not with selling the TVs.

I hope this conveys that I have thought of more things than just what I posted...I type extremely fast and thought I was already posting too much information so that is why I didn't mention the other costs. Thank you!
I'm confused. "Rent, utilities, food" were all you listed on your expense list. If you are including the other things you mentioned above (TV, internet, car insurance and registration, etc) under that "utilities" heading then you are way way off. BTW, if you plan on working at home and your work involves the internet in any way you need to take into consideration the sometimes crappy internet options here.

Our water bill is nearly $100/month. That's for two adults. Small garden. When my daughter and three grandkids were here last August it doubled. Piped-in propane gas is about $100/month for us and I don't cook all that much anymore. Your electric bill will go up substantially if you are in an all-electric house or condo, especially if your water heater is electric, as many if not most condo water heaters are. You might very well need A/C in a condo, too---kick that electric cost way up, then.

Storage is expensive. Don't get "estimates"---most people grossly underestimate the costs here, hoping for the best. Call companies or go to their websites and as questions via e-mail and be specific. Many hopeful bubbles are popped in just that way.

Vehicle registration is obscene here. Just got the yearly bill for the small pickup truck---nearly $400. My small SUV costs a bit more than that. Insurance for the both of them (DH is retired, we don't drive a heckuva lot around here) is roughly a bit less than $1500/yr. We can do better with a lower deductible but we have been smacked into too many times here to do that. Repair costs, BTW, are obscene here too.

"You really can't look into healthcare...."? Well, you better. I'm Union and have an excellent low-cost plan but that is not the case for most people here so I can't comment on what those costs would be for you but I know the costs can vary widely depending on the employer, of course. Yeah....everyone is healthy until they're not....

The cat. I would bet that anyone renting who specifies "NO PETS" will not give a flaming fajita what your previous landlord has to say about Kitty. The competition for rentals is fierce here and landlords don't have to bend, not even a little, when it comes to pets. Luckily it's only one cat and not a family of pitbulls, LOL. Not impossible but again, especially in this market, the cat makes it tougher to find a rental.

I can't estimate your food costs---I don't feed your family. Costco, Sam's Club, and Walmart would be your friends. All I know is that your previous estimate was way too low.

So you're selling your furniture, cars, and TV's. What do you think you will have to do when you get here? Yep---go out and buy furniture, cars, and TV's. For a MUCH higher amount than what you sold them for. Your cars would cost about $1200/ea. or so to ship here. You think you could replace them for that? Think again. Sorry---this thought process regarding selling there/buying here is very faulty. There goes that $20K cushion, very quickly.

It truly does appear that you have been trying to cover all your bases but, honestly, I think you are being a bit naive and starry-eyed. This place is very very VERY expensive. Yes, people do move here and are successful. My husband and I fall into that category, as do quite a few on this forum. And by successful I don't necessarily mean knock-your-socks-off wealthy. I mean content with what they have, whether it be a rain forest cabin on the Big Island or a tract home in Ewa Beach.

Even so, many of the successful ones start to have second thoughts about the bang-for-buck thing and eventually leave. And the average stay of a PROFESSIONAL here, not a beach bum, is two years.

Personally, with a pile of kids, I would never do it. Okay...I'm gonna say it now....we haven't even touched on the issues mainland kids face here. I wouldn't subject my kids to it for all the "beach days" on the planet.

Another thing. No need to reply to this online, but has your husband received many offers? If not, what happens if he takes a job and it falls through, for whatever reason? If there aren't all that many opportunities here, how long do you think you guys could make it, still have money to go somewhere else, and survive long enough to get another job wherever you might go? Again, no need to reply here...just something to think about.
And although a contract is nice, it also ties you to a place that you might end up not wanting to be in. Something else to think about.

Last edited by PaliPatty; 02-24-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 05:07 PM

8 posts, read 8,791 times
If it pans out and you are able to move, have you thought about homeschooling as an option? We plan on moving as well, but the school thing is what bothers me about your post. Everything else can planned for but when it comes to your children, you have to do what is best (read safest), for them. Wishing you the best.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
Quote:
Before we got our PV panels we topped at at $375/month---no A/C, two responsible adults who ran around turning lights off.
I thought you had a pool? Pool pump motors run a lot and use a lot of power.

We top out at $200 for a family of four, and that's on Kaua'i with the high 43 cent/KWh rates. BUT, we have solar hot water (most rentals don't), we hang dry most of our clothes, and we have a gas dryer anyway. Gas for cooking and some (20%) clothes drying runs $60/month. I think our biggest electric draw is the fridge, all the rest is lighting, fans, computers/electronics, microwave (seldom used), and a power tool every now and then. Some big families rely on chest freezers, but those cost a lot to operate with our high rates.

For AlohaLucy, here is some other food for thought: with a single breadwinner dependent on a cyclical industry, your income in Hawaii sounds precarious. Most of the resorts stay open through the downturns, but they probably downsize or get bought up, which makes their management subject to layoffs. Hopefully with some savings, as side job, and some decent skills, your family can survive a layoff, but it is positively no fun at all.

Also, I assume your college student will move with you to get in-state tuition, but I'm not sure that's possible in the first year. Also, most colleges are on Oahu, so you'll still have to pay room and board. And plane tickets are $150 R/T so that's a lot just to visit home for breaks.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post

We top out at $200 for a family of four, and that's on Kaua'i with the high 43 cent/KWh rates. BUT, we have solar hot water (most rentals don't), we hang dry most of our clothes, and we have a gas dryer anyway. Gas for cooking and some (20%) clothes drying runs $60/month. I think our biggest electric draw is the fridge, all the rest is lighting, fans, computers/electronics, microwave (seldom used), and a power tool every now and then. Some big families rely on chest freezers, but those cost a lot to operate with our high rates.
Sorry, KH, yes, we do have a pool, so that does add a bit, of course. The pool pump is a high-efficiency one, though, and really didn't kick up our bill all that much when the pool was put in.

Not giving up my dryer, LOL. Hate crunchy line-dried clothes and towels. And if the OP lives in a condo with a washer/dryer, she won't be hanging clothes outdoors with a family of six, I would imagine.
We do have a small freezer, which allows us to buy in bulk which may or may not offset the cost of running that freezer.

We have a big-screen TV but it's new and doesn't draw much at all. If I watch our meter before and after appliances go on (which becomes slightly addicting when you first install the PV panels, LOL), the electric dryer is the killer, hands down. Not an issue with the PV panels now, though.

Yes, there are ways to cut down but that again points to bang-for-buck. I work FT and I don't care to spend my days hanging out wash and running outside to take it down when, as it often does on the Windward side, it rains. And I hate crunchy scratchy towels.

We have a gas water heater. A lot of places on the island have no access to piped-in gas and rely either on propane tanks or electric. Not sure what a residential tank of propane would go for here but I would imagine that it's not cheap but neither is electricity, of course.

I love Hawaii but not enough to give up my daily way of life, including creature comforts. There, I said it. We can afford to maintain a standard of living that is just as good (frankly, somewhat better) than what we had on the mainland. If we couldn't, we'd consider leaving. Our house will be paid for in less than a year and then we might be doing some serious thinking. Like, whether or not we want to die in a place where we have no family, for one. I see this happen so often and it is tremendously heart-wrenching, both for the person dying and for those who can't make it to be with them. Just sayin'....

We've been here fourteen years now. I have seen sooooo many come and go, all arriving with the declaration that, no matter what, it will be soooo worth it to live in Hawaii. Some leave after a really short time, some last a few years and, increasingly, I am seeing people stay here for ten, fifteen, and even more than twenty years before they leave. Reasons for leaving are many but what I am hearing now is "it really has changed...nothing is the same...the cost of living is getting to be unbearable...I want to be near family..." etc. Oh, and this is funny, I think---one of the most frequent reasons for leaving that I'm hearing lately is "it's BORING!!" The list is long.

Uh-oh...rambling again. See ya.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I'm confused. "Rent, utilities, food" were all you listed on your expense list. If you are including the other things you mentioned above (TV, internet, car insurance and registration, etc) under that "utilities" heading then you are way way off. BTW, if you plan on working at home and your work involves the internet in any way you need to take into consideration the sometimes crappy internet options here.

Our water bill is nearly $100/month. That's for two adults. Small garden. When my daughter and three grandkids were here last August it doubled. Piped-in propane gas is about $100/month for us and I don't cook all that much anymore. Your electric bill will go up substantially if you are in an all-electric house or condo, especially if your water heater is electric, as many if not most condo water heaters are. You might very well need A/C in a condo, too---kick that electric cost way up, then.

Storage is expensive. Don't get "estimates"---most people grossly underestimate the costs here, hoping for the best. Call companies or go to their websites and as questions via e-mail and be specific. Many hopeful bubbles are popped in just that way.

Vehicle registration is obscene here. Just got the yearly bill for the small pickup truck---nearly $400. My small SUV costs a bit more than that. Insurance for the both of them (DH is retired, we don't drive a heckuva lot around here) is roughly a bit less than $1500/yr. We can do better with a lower deductible but we have been smacked into too many times here to do that. Repair costs, BTW, are obscene here too.

"You really can't look into healthcare...."? Well, you better. I'm Union and have an excellent low-cost plan but that is not the case for most people here so I can't comment on what those costs would be for you but I know the costs can vary widely depending on the employer, of course. Yeah....everyone is healthy until they're not....

The cat. I would bet that anyone renting who specifies "NO PETS" will not give a flaming fajita what your previous landlord has to say about Kitty. The competition for rentals is fierce here and landlords don't have to bend, not even a little, when it comes to pets. Luckily it's only one cat and not a family of pitbulls, LOL. Not impossible but again, especially in this market, the cat makes it tougher to find a rental.

I can't estimate your food costs---I don't feed your family. Costco, Sam's Club, and Walmart would be your friends. All I know is that your previous estimate was way too low.

So you're selling your furniture, cars, and TV's. What do you think you will have to do when you get here? Yep---go out and buy furniture, cars, and TV's. For a MUCH higher amount than what you sold them for. Your cars would cost about $1200/ea. or so to ship here. You think you could replace them for that? Think again. Sorry---this thought process regarding selling there/buying here is very faulty. There goes that $20K cushion, very quickly.

It truly does appear that you have been trying to cover all your bases but, honestly, I think you are being a bit naive and starry-eyed. This place is very very VERY expensive. Yes, people do move here and are successful. My husband and I fall into that category, as do quite a few on this forum. And by successful I don't necessarily mean knock-your-socks-off wealthy. I mean content with what they have, whether it be a rain forest cabin on the Big Island or a tract home in Ewa Beach.

Even so, many of the successful ones start to have second thoughts about the bang-for-buck thing and eventually leave. And the average stay of a PROFESSIONAL here, not a beach bum, is two years.

Personally, with a pile of kids, I would never do it. Okay...I'm gonna say it now....we haven't even touched on the issues mainland kids face here. I wouldn't subject my kids to it for all the "beach days" on the planet.

Another thing. No need to reply to this online, but has your husband received many offers? If not, what happens if he takes a job and it falls through, for whatever reason? If there aren't all that many opportunities here, how long do you think you guys could make it, still have money to go somewhere else, and survive long enough to get another job wherever you might go? Again, no need to reply here...just something to think about.
And although a contract is nice, it also ties you to a place that you might end up not wanting to be in. Something else to think about.
When I Said utilities I Was referring to electric And water, everything else is on my list but it is those two I was unsure about. The TVS are big, we have too many and they Aren't new- I did not Count them in the selling column, but it is possible- and We'd buy One. we Want to simplify. same thing with furniture, what we have is big and not particularly great quality, from what I've read it wouldn't be smart to pay to bring it. am I wrong? cars are not Worth bringing they are Older.

I Know we'll have to pay for healthcare but won't Know how much until he gets a job offer. Storage is a flat rate, I have verified it.

I Will Carefully go over the rest Of it thank you!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longin4hi View Post
If it pans out and you are able to move, have you thought about homeschooling as an option? We plan on moving as well, but the school thing is what bothers me about your post. Everything else can planned for but when it comes to your children, you have to do what is best (read safest), for them. Wishing you the best.

I hadn't before I started posting here, but may have to look into it depending On where we end up.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post

For AlohaLucy, here is some other food for thought: with a single breadwinner dependent on a cyclical industry, your income in Hawaii sounds precarious. Most of the resorts stay open through the downturns, but they probably downsize or get bought up, which makes their management subject to layoffs. Hopefully with some savings, as side job, and some decent skills, your family can survive a layoff, but it is positively no fun at all.

Also, I assume your college student will move with you to get in-state tuition, but I'm not sure that's possible in the first year. Also, most colleges are on Oahu, so you'll still have to pay room and board. And plane tickets are $150 R/T so that's a lot just to visit home for breaks.
great comments, thanks! As far as my college student, She is $150 rlt Away now Already, She is in our state but far. And she wouldn't probably Change Schools until her junior year, I think next year She is going to Europe on A music exchange program. She may decide to Stay where She is. She gets a lot of funding and Scholarships, it is doubtful She'd live With us anyway. Our decision won't be based on her, She has a tentative plan for next year anyway but all good thoughts, thank you!

Also, my Salary isn't figured into All Of this- we bank it. we could not live on my income alone for a long duration, but if Something happened to his job (and we have been through that before) we'd Survive. The budget I'm trying to put together is On his Salary Alone- that is what will decide this- mine is a cushion- Savings, emergency living.

oh, and both of us Are willing to take different Jobs if we need to, I'm no stranger to bartending or waiting tables, and he can do almost any position at a hotel or retail. we aren't set On one career. I Can also increase my hours easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii