Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: According to the new Volcanic-Alert Levels, the state of my volcano is
Normal 5 62.50%
Advisory 1 12.50%
Watch 1 12.50%
Warning 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times

Advertisements

Hawaii's Volcanoes ceased to be extinct, dormant, or active when their status was changed by the United States Geological Society (USGS).

This information is relevant to anyone selling or describing property in Hawaii. Terms commonly used in the past such as extinct, dormant, or active should no longer be used.

It seems the USGS has been surprised one too many times when a volcano thought to be "extinct" awoke and announced it was pretending.

For this reason the USGS Hawaiian Volcanoes Observatory has now adopted 4 Volcanic-Alert Levels. These are:

Normal
Typical background activity of a volcano in a non-eruptive state
After a change from a higher level: Volcanic activity considered to have ceased, and volcano reverted to its normal, non-eruptive state.

Advisory
Elevated unrest above known background activity
After a change from a higher level: Volcanic activity has decreased significantly but continues to be closely monitored for possible renewed increase.

Watch
Heightened/escalating unrest with increased potential for eruptive activity (timeframe variable) OR a minor eruption underway that poses limited hazards.

Warning
Highly hazardous eruption underway or imminent.

As a result of the new designations disclosures of real estate property will grow by a few lines.

A proper disclosure should contain at a minimum:
The name of the volcano.
The best approximate date of last eruption, or
The date current eruption began.
The current Volcanic-Alert Status.
The date that status was last confirmed.

I have submitted 5 new suggested templates to the Hawaii Island Board of Realtors, and Kona Board of Realtors.

Other changes will be discussed in future posts.

Philip Maise
Pahoa Hawaii

Last edited by pbmaise; 05-28-2011 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 10:59 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,842 times
Very interesting stuff! I hadn't heard of this before. So, I looked it up and it says that the volcano that is in my back yard (Mt Hood) is normal.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:29 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,600,055 times
Kilauea is on Watch, has been for a long time as it has been erupting almost continously since 1983. Right now= minor eruption with limited hazards.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:55 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,402,645 times
Thanks for the headsup, I had not heard of this yet. I will check w/ HIBR and my broker to make sure we're up on any "new" disclosure items for the Big Island of Hawaii Disclosure addendum.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times
Aloha
Excellent! I'm pleased many of you reported looking up your Volcanic-Alert level. Volcanic-Alert levels are subject to change, and it is important that you can find the status of your volcano. It is both a matter of safety, and a matter of providing full disclosure to potential buyers of your property when you sell.

The Volcanic-Alert levels are uniform for the entire US and I see someone looked up Mt. Hood.

Feel free to cut and paste the original post to others. My intention is that the information be public as possible. It may also be good to add to your own website...HOWEVER....only include what the status is now and include a statement on your site that the current status should be confirmed.

Aloha
Philip Maise
Pahoa Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii