Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:15 PM

7 posts, read 6,458 times

Advertisements

OK, dh and I have a crazy idea. We're seriously thinking about moving to Hawaii.

Dh's family (both sides) have lived there since the turn of the last century, but immediate family's currently on the mainland. Dh's father owns a home in Kaneohe, but dh's uncle currently lives there. Uncle is not in good health (80 and diabetic), so he will probably need to move to an assisted living center or nursing home in the next few years. Dh's father does not want to move back because 2 of his grown daughters and their family (grown children w/their own children) live in the same town he does now. Cousins, 3rd sister, etc. all have their own lives/homes and don't want to move. So it stands to reason that if we want it, we can move in. However, the house was built before the War and not maintained very well. We'd need to do reno's to make it liveable and have "modern" conveniences. (Everything's original...wiring, kitchen, bathroom, etc.)

Dh would keep his current job and work remotely (high tech). I would continue to home-school our 2 girls. If I had to go back to work, I could substitute teach (former teacher), work retail, etc. I don't mind as long as the schedule works for my family kwim.

Here are my biggest concerns/questions:

1. How expensive is it renovate in Hawaii? (We currently live in CA, so permits, labor, and mat'ls are expensive...about $200/sf for new construction. We figure it's same or even more in HI.)

2. Could we live comfortably on $110,000.00/yr? (We currently "get by" on that here in CA. We're assuming it'd be about the same. We wouldn't have a mortgage, but we'd have a construction loan.)

3. How difficult is it to get into private high school? (IDK if we want to home-school forever.)

Thanks in advance ~ some days this plan seems perfectly logical. Other days I wonder who put crack in wheaties!

ETA: Haha! I didn't ask the very question I have in the title! Where the heck would/should we live while all these reno's are taking place? Financially it would be better for us to stay here in CA. But logic says I should be close so that I can keep an eye on things. Should we just rent a house or apt in Kanehoe once we make the big leap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:51 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,410,845 times
You would definitely want to remain present while doing this type of renovation in my feelings. You could rent something small perhaps, not too far away.

Is there a way you could have a couple of contractors actually look at the house and give even a ball park figure on the cost of what you want? Don't forget to obtai advice and details on the permitting process.

Have you ever lived in that neighborhood before? Might be time for a nice long visit to uncle if possible before you go too much further.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:37 PM

KonaKat, here's the other part of the puzzle. Dh and I are mainlanders...we've only visited HI. Dh used to go there with his mother and sisters for summer vacations growing up, but I've only been there a few times my whole life. They neighborhood's still "good" thank goodness.

Thanks for your reply

This is all very much in the early stages of planning. Uncle will (hopefully) be in the house for many years to come. Also, we plan on visiting next summer and checking out more of the construction logistics while there...just to have the info.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
Perhaps you could do the construction while Uncle is still alive? Only if it would make it more comfortable for him, though. Sometimes old folks don't like things changed around, but maybe you could renovate the kitchen this year, the bathroom the next year, etc. It would get the renovations done slowly so he'd have time to change with them, it would get the renovations done before you moved in and it would get them done slowly enough that you could perhaps pay as you go and save tons of money instead of getting a loan. He would also be there to watch over the construction and would probably know a lot of folks who could do the work.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks, hotzcatz! This is kind of our thinking too, but you're also right. He doesn't like change. He's lived in this house since 1940. He likes it this way Thanks again.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
Well, if you replace the existing fixtures with new, you don't need a permit. If you paint, add wallpaper and carpet, you don't need a permit. Maybe you can fix up what's there instead of renovate. Replacing a toilet takes about twenty minutes and new toilets can cost less than $150. Wall hung sinks are quick, if it's in a cabinet, it might be easier to just replace the whole cabinet. Kitchen and bath faucets can be replaced in an hour or so and cost anywhere from $50 to $500 depending on which fixture you choose. If you take a box of basic tools or buy them and leave them at his house afterwards and get a few new fixtures each time you visit, then you could slowly upgrade while he's there.

If he's lived there since 1940, then he's probably very comfortable there. All the fix ups would have to be just refurbishing what's there - new paint in the same color, new curtains with a similar print, etc. However, if he's been living there, the place is at least livable in some fashion so when it becomes your place you could always camp out in a room or two while fixing up the rest. Depending on the extent of renovations, of course.

We just bought a house which was built in 1972 and it was still all original when we moved in. We had planned on getting all these things done before we moved in - replace a ceiling, refinish the floors, etc. etc. But what with time constraints and tight finances since it took a ton of money for a down payment, we just moved in instead. Things are pretty good! We don't even notice half the things we thought would be a problem. We will still probably do most of those projects, but not for awhile. What we did do was replace the cooktop which was functional, sort of but extremely funky. We also replaced or repaired several faucets and one toilet was replaced. What with finding things on Craig's List or at garage sales, all these things were very inexpensive so we were able to afford it. We've had tons of fun finding "just perfect" sorts of furniture since it is "vintage". With a '40's home, you'll have lots of period fashion touches you can add.

Since the house has been there for so long, it's probably in an established neighborhood and all the folks will know your uncle. If you move into the house and basically fix it up back to what it was originally, then you may fit in better with the neighborhood than if you were to renovate it into something entirely different from what it is now. Around here, the old houses which are renovated to mainland fancy always seem uncomfortable somehow, but most of the old houses around here are plantation houses so they are pretty humble to start with so getting them that fancy takes a lot of changes.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 PM

I totally get what you mean and I agree. I have no desire to live in a midwestern ranch. I actually love uncle's little 1100 sf home. I think it's cute and looks like the rest of the neighborhood. Here in CA we lived in a neighborhood that had little post-war starter homes, and right next to them new McMansions. The new homes just screamed tacky kwim. I don't want to do that. I just want to be able to run my toaster, hair dryer, and coffee pot at the same time in the morning w/o blowing a fuse! Also, dh will need high speed internet and has gotten used to all his electronic gadgets. So there will def need to be some wiring upgrades. I don't think the house has but one grounded plug.

Again, thanks for all your input. I get so caught up in the CA way of thinking. Simplify. It's not just for packing

Old 06-01-2011, 02:12 PM

820 posts, read 3,037,808 times
All great advice on the remodeling, maybe a word or two on the social impact?

If Uncle has been there a long time, chances are he's well integrated into the neighborhood. And the truth of the situation is that you are doing the remodeling for your future, not his. That's not a bad thing, it's just the truth. Neighbors here become close, and people will sense if you aren't being up front about your future plans for Uncle, the house, your move, etc. If you are planning to live there, Uncle's neighbors will become your neighbors. You want to have a good relationship with them, and we've found that people are much more "involved" with each other than in our former California neighborhood.

You might consider being the one to step forward on the street, or knock on a few doors to introduce yourself. Make sure to alert neighbors of anything that will affect the traffic or noise levels - give them time to move cars if you are bringing in a truckload or cement pour. Remember that old homes aren't soundproof, so your late night drilling may be everyone's disturbance. Just be considerate and you'll alleviate any worry people have about what's going on.

That said, we've found that neighbors here tend to offer lots and lots and LOTS of advice. Everyone has an opinion on how everything is done, why you did it wrong, who you should have used. Even when we used someone they recommended - and it went horribly wrong - then suddenly we shouldn't have used them. Just nod and smile and do it right. Now, do listen because how something is constructed in CA doesn't always work well for HI. But figure it out, and do it your way. Even if you are wrong, you'll feel better for making your own mistakes, and resent it if you take advice you didn't want to take and it turned out wrong.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,946,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfordlr View Post
ETA: Haha! I didn't ask the very question I have in the title! Where the heck would/should we live while all these reno's are taking place? Financially it would be better for us to stay here in CA. But logic says I should be close so that I can keep an eye on things. Should we just rent a house or apt in Kanehoe once we make the big leap?
I would look on VRBO. If you Google VRBO Kaneohe, you get a page where you can put in dates and see who has a large block of time vacant. In that situation you can perhaps negotiate a reasonable rental for a couple of months at a time. Look here:

Kaneohe Hawaii Vacation Rentals by Owner - Kaneohe Hawaii VRBO, Vacation Home Rentals, Condo Rentals, FRBO Vacation Rentals, Kaneohe Hawaii Travel Information (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/oahu/east-oahu/kaneohe - broken link)

The other option is to just look in Craigslist, and search for the words "furnished Kaneohe":

hawaii apts/housing for rent classifieds "furnished Kaneohe" - craigslist

We did something similar to what you are planning, to a house in Kailua that had been rented for 17 years, with little maintenance. I think your biggest problem will be finding a contractor who will live up to the schedule he quotes you. Things in Hawaii get done on "Hawaiian Time". We were very fortunate, and found a very reliable contractor. We lived in it while renovating, and the early months were "Memorable"!

Hank

Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM

Oh, good idea, Hank. Long term VRBO wasn't even on my radar. Yeah "Island Time" is yet another unknown quantity, isn't it. I'd forgotten about that too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii